Deleted

Smile Major overhaul, need help

Hi
    I have been having problems with my powersupply lately and therefore i need to replace it asap
    but now that im replacing one thing i figured that i might aswell give my pc a major overhaul.

Here is what i have now:
    -i5 2500k (oc to 4.0)
    -msi gtx 570
    -asus p8z68-v pro
    -8gb of corsair vengeance ram
    -cooler master hyper 212 +
    -cooler master 850watt power supply (I do not remember the exact model, but it is pretty bad)
    - some seagate 500gb harddrive (it is from an older computer)
    - antec df-85 case

I have been looking at a few different power supplies and i have found one I think is good, but i would like some of your input
    the power supply is the: Fractal Design Newton R3 600w

I like this power supply because it is rated platinum, is semi-modular, it is considerably cheaper than the Seasonic and superflower counterparts and it is very quiet.

but i have some concerns wether 600w will be enough for my system because I am also looking to buy these components:
    -Fractal Design R4
    -Samsung 840 pro 256gb (i can get it almost as cheap as the non pro version)
    -Western digital blue 1gb (to replace my ancient storage drive)
    and 4 scythe gentle typhoon fans for silence and better airflow, plus a fan controller

will i have sufficient power? I imagine so but i want to be on the safe side.
    I don't plan on going SLI or Crossfire ever and the only upgrade i might do in forseeable future is an AIO watercooling kit to overclock my CPU even further.
    I am looking to have as silent a system as possible, so if you have any tips please let me know

600W is more than fine, you could probably run SLI if you skip overclocking.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kreserb View Post
    I like this power supply because it is rated platinum
    Effectively a useless feature. Bronze is fine (and most cost efficient) for 99% of systems.

-Samsung 840 pro 256gb (i can get it almost as cheap as the non pro version)
    Are you sure you aren't confusing the 840 Pro 256gb with the 830 or something? Define 'almost as cheap' because the Pro offers really no useful benefit over the non pro.

Anyway, that's more than enough power. Your current setup won't pull more than abour 400w. Even at 100% load, which you'd never achieve, would likely only do about 500, maybe. A 550w would be fine.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I can get the 840 pro for like 10€ more than the non pro, so i figured that i might aswell get it.

i like the fractal one because it is very silent and clean looking (not too many bright colors) but if you can recommend something else then i would be glad to hear it

10+ Year Old Account
    There's usually a $50 spread between them. Can you link the ones you're looking at?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    One of my friends work at a local electronics store, so he can get it cheaper than usual. so it would be almost as much as the non pro would be if i bough that on the internet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Are you sure you aren't confusing the 840 Pro 256gb with the 830 or something? Define 'almost as cheap' because the Pro offers really no useful benefit over the non pro..
    ...for the average user or for gaming. You left this part out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    ...for the average user or for gaming. You left this part out.
    Well, yes. But I believe the only people who benefit from high write speeds are people who know they need high write speeds. 9 times out of 10, if you don't need it, you don't know you don't need it.

Deleted
    Okay, after reading alot more into the whole MLC NAND vs TLC NAND on AnandTech and OCN, i guess that i might aswell go with the normal 840
    My friend also told me that he could get that one cheap aswell, so it is all good