Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDallasMultipass View Post
    Well I couldn't find anything specific WoW related, but according to this website: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...M.69483.0.html

...it can run TOR, which looks generally a bit better than WoW, at High at 34FPS (scroll down to see) at 1377x768 resolution. That's a pretty typical laptop screen resolution.

Still, I'd say wait and save more if you can, getting an i5 processor compute with a nice Nvidia GeForce 560 or 650ti is way more worth it in the long run, especially next expansion where they will introduce new player models (more polygons, more processing power required).
    Just FYI, NPC/Player Models don't cause lag just because they are high resolution.

Slightly off-topic: Anyone claiming 30 FPS on a laptop in 25m raids is bullshitting(unless playing at 800x600 or similar resolution), measure it during fight(with a program that measures average FPS, like FRAPS function) in a 25m Normal or Heroic raid with Particle Density set to High(as you need to see stuff) and Projected Textures on, not LFR or sitting in front of a boss.

My FPS on a i5-2500k(4.3Ghz) drops to 20-30 range depending on fight and on Tortos 25HC(we kite bats), at the end of a fight my screen actually freezes for a split second when I use my Multi-shot at the 50+ bat pack for the lols and whatever. Getting 40 FPS in a 25m Heroic raid in combat is out of the question on ANY PC in the world at 1920x1080 with "raider video settings"

Deleted
    I'm running with a 2 years old 700 euro (roughly 850 dollar) laptop. It's running 15-30 fps in raids, even 25 on elegon with all settings on good. I can play many newer games with some decent fps (30), like DE HR. I do get warnings that my GPU isn't supported when WoW gets patched.

I've noticed my GPU is bottlenecking my laptop's performances. As many other posters suggested, look for a laptop with a great GPU, since you can't replace it. Perhaps even get a custom made laptop.

In contrary to what others say, you could go for a 800 dollar Alienware laptop. They are a bit expensive for their specs, but they are really made for gaming. Good cooling etc.

The 500 dollar budget you have is "ok" for playing wow, but I kind of guarantee you, you'll have to buy a new laptop within 2 years.

Another option: do you know those small desktops? They're regular desktops, just very small. You could put it under your bed, on a shelf, almost everywhere. Get a flatscreen for it, and you're all set. Buy a 100 dollar laptop for college/work, if you really need it. Buying a 400 dollar desktop and a 100 dollar laptop is better than a 500 dollar desktop imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know a lot of people are saying "WoW on a $500 laptop? Not possible"

It really depends on what you're doing. I recently purchased a $300 laptop (A6-4400M) and I have no problems holding about ~25-30 fps on low or medium settings in 25m raids, which for me is perfectly acceptable for going on vacation and whatnot. I did a review of it as well, if interested.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

It really depends on what you're doing. I recently purchased a $300 laptop (A6-4400M) and I have no problems holding about ~25-30 fps on low or medium settings in 25m raids, which for me is perfectly acceptable for going on vacation and whatnot. I did a review of it as well, if interested.
    ^This

WoW can play fine on a laptop with an A6 or A8 for under $500, better then most i5 laptops at around 600 - 700 (without discrete graphics).

I run at 40-50FPS with medium-low settings on a 1280x1024 monitor power by a GeForce 8600M GT. This is a 7 year old video card, in a laptop.

A 500$ laptop today is at least 3x more powerful than what I have.

You don't need ultra shadows, water quality, 4xAA and view distance in 25mans either. Medium distance is more than enough.
    Your resolution makes a huge difference.
    Most laptops are running 1080.
    If the laptop has an integrated video card don't buy it.
    That sams club one that was linked is about as powerful as my phone.

---------- Post added 2013-06-20 at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post

In contrary to what others say, you could go for a 800 dollar Alienware laptop.
    I would never buy an overpriced dell but it's your money.

I have a friend who have a 300$ laptop, with an AMD APU. He's perfectly able to run WoW at medium, in windowed mode at a smaller resolution. (720p screen if i remember correctly) He don't have 60 fps of course, but he's getting decent fps and he is perfecly fine with it. For 500$, you will be able to get something where you will be able to play at correct FPS, if you don't mind a low graphic quality (tweaked medium)
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Your resolution makes a huge difference.
    Most laptops are running 1080.
    If the laptop has an integrated video card don't buy it.
    That sams club one that was linked is about as powerful as my phone.

---------- Post added 2013-06-20 at 10:33 PM ----------

I would never buy an overpriced dell but it's your money.
    They aren't that overpriced :O Well, at least not here. Maybe it's different in the US, but a 700 euro alienware would cost 650 as any other brand. And you get a good laptop

They aren't that overpriced :O Well, at least not here. Maybe it's different in the US, but a 700 euro alienware would cost 650 as any other brand. And you get a good laptop
    And it would cost you 500 to build it youself in a desktop build

Okay maybe a bit more, but yes, they are overpriced, but its a laptop, they are all overpriced
    My first build:
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

I'd rather get a Sager.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagei View Post
    This is the one I was talking about. You say I'll be fine, others say no, I am confuse lol.

that one is what i use, works well for the most part. I only farm/quest on my laptop. any sort of serious playing (raiding or such) is done on a desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Just FYI, NPC/Player Models don't cause lag just because they are high resolution.

Slightly off-topic: Anyone claiming 30 FPS on a laptop in 25m raids is bullshitting(unless playing at 800x600 or similar resolution), measure it during fight(with a program that measures average FPS, like FRAPS function) in a 25m Normal or Heroic raid with Particle Density set to High(as you need to see stuff) and Projected Textures on, not LFR or sitting in front of a boss.

My FPS on a i5-2500k(4.3Ghz) drops to 20-30 range depending on fight and on Tortos 25HC(we kite bats), at the end of a fight my screen actually freezes for a split second when I use my Multi-shot at the 50+ bat pack for the lols and whatever. Getting 40 FPS in a 25m Heroic raid in combat is out of the question on ANY PC in the world at 1920x1080 with "raider video settings"

This is so wrong. I have NEVER dropped below 80 FPS on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jijek View Post
    At low settings maybe, else this is bullshit
    My first build:

Quote Originally Posted by Jijek View Post
    No one gets 80 fps in 25 mans.
    Are you playing 800x600?

Can you link this laptop? Should I get this instead?

I think I am going to purchase a laptop in the 500ish range.. For now. Although I'd like great fps in 25 mans, I barely run them and don't really play Isle of Conquest or Alterac Valley either, I just wanted to know that I could play it with good fps if I wanted to. All I really do is battlegrounds, and this computer can support small BGs with smooth FPS I'm assuming?

And if I did want to do 25 mans I could just turn the settings down and the volume off and play at 800x600 if necessary, it isn't that bad for me since I'm used to playing like this on my eMachines... So with reading everything everyone has said I think I will buy it, but first I'd like to ask about this $300 laptop lol.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 12:37 AM ----------

Link review plz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagei View Post
    Link review plz.
    Review is here. I should note though, when I say "$300 Laptop" I got it on sale at the time. However there are similar sales for similar models all the time. So you can probably get something for under 500 and get the same, or better performance.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I couldn't find anything specific WoW related, but according to this website: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...M.69483.0.html

...it can run TOR, which looks generally a bit better than WoW, at High at 34FPS (scroll down to see) at 1377x768 resolution. That's a pretty typical laptop screen resolution.

Still, I'd say wait and save more if you can, getting an i5 processor compute with a nice Nvidia GeForce 560 or 650ti is way more worth it in the long run, especially next expansion where they will introduce new player models (more polygons, more processing power required).
    That simply isnt true. I have the same laptop as run tor at 10-20 fps on low. You are setting this guy up for disappointment.

---------- Post added 2013-06-20 at 09:14 PM ----------

Thats not possible how could it be? I have an A8, and on low i get extremely low fps in raid. I always have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Thats not possible how could it be? I have an A8, and on low i get extremely low fps in raid. I always have.
    Define 'extremely low'. You're welcome to read my review. I'd be happy to run another raid shortly and take a few screenshots during busy times. I believe I used the Terrace fights as benchmarks when it was particularly messy, but it was definitely playable, and held around 25-30 fps on low/fair settings

If you can push your budget to 7-800 like you said, look at the 799 lenovo.
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...-series/y410p/

i7, 8GB RAM, 750m Nvidia 2gb dedicated, unfortunately 1366x768 resolution, but with price comes the cons of missing out on other stuff.

Deleted
    totally possible to play wow at decent settings and framerates for $500

www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V3-551G-X419-15-6-Inch-Midnight/dp/B00AYT8H3Y/

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand the laptop hate I have a two year old laptop: Acer Aspire 5741g (for the curious to google specs) and I run on ultra in 25s without any lag and can fraps 25s on good/fair (no shadows) at 30fps. Don't be afraid to buy a laptop for wow