Is it time to quit football?

Hello ,

I have a very hard decision, do I quit football or wait for my time to shine. Im a junior at a D2 university and with the new recruits we have, there is no chance of me getting on the field without their being a blowout. Last season I played in 5 games all in the fourth quarter. Never accumulated any stats.

I joined as a walk on spring of 2012 and was pretty optimistic about my future, but everytime we practice I feel like im losing an uphill battle. The practice isn't hard, its just I dont feel like sitting on a bench. I know im lucky to be in a position like this, but I also don't want to waste my time. Im not on an athletic scholarship yet. So should I quit or wait it out?

If you're considering quitting, then it may be time. It's going to be hard to go all out every practice/game if you're thinking about stopping. And if you don't go all out then you won't get a spot anyway, so it's kind of a waste of time at that point.

I'd say it's less about playing, you probably won't go pro regardless, so do you enjoy the team activities? Do you enjoy being around the other players in the locker room and at practices and such? If you have fun, then you should continue. If you're *only* playing to try and get a starting spot and join the NFL, I'd probably say stop.

Don't, as long as you have fun.

I did, i couldn't get past a certain level so i said to me "not worth it". 10 years later that's the choice i'm regretting the most.

The everyday trainings. the mates, the sunday matches all around Italy...who cares if you ain't go pro, if u still feel the passion for this sport within you, dont quit.

If you just play for being a pro, well, dunno. In football even when u give everything you got may not be enough, because your coach can give you/take away from you that "little bit" that makes difference.