10+ Year Old Account

170+ ms latency VS 50 and below

Hey everyone, I just wanna say that I live in the middle east where the best connection I can get in WoW is like between 120+ to 170+ ms latency. And there is nothing I can do to lower it because of the fact that my country is kinda far away from the game servers. My question is how much difference does it make in term of dps/healing in meters if my latency is lower than 100 is it huge difference? or not much? because I keep telling some people who live in Europe about it but they kinda don't believe that it does make big difference in performance.

What do you think folks? discuss please and thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Hey everyone, I just wanna say that I live in the middle east where the best connection I can get in WoW is like between 120+ to 170+ ms latency. And there is nothing I can do to lower it because of the fact that my country is kinda far away from the game servers. My question is how much difference does it make in term of dps/healing in meters if my latency is lower than 100 is it huge difference? or not much? because I keep telling some people who live in Europe about it but they kinda don't believe that it does make big difference in performance.

What do you think folks? discuss please and thanks for reading.
    I know for PvP having the lower latency is ideal and almost needed to push very high on the ladders.

There are not too many fights in PvE where it will wipe you because of your latency, but you will be behind on meters, take an extra tick of fire on the ground, etc.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    People will tell you that it makes a huge difference, but it honestly doesn't. I played with 200+ ms latency for years, and so did my significant other, both of us were in a very hardcore raiding guild and also very active PvPers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    People will tell you that it makes a huge difference, but it honestly doesn't. I played with 200+ ms latency for years, and so did my significant other, both of us were in a very hardcore raiding guild and also very active PvPers.
    No I'm not talking about extreme like wiping or dying from fire because of it no what I meant is for example, does it affect you a lot in meter? for example instead of being top number 1 you will be like 3rd or 4th because of it? something like that I mean does it affect that much or barely noticeable?

I didn't think it was much of a difference myself. That is until I played on another server for fun. I went from 120ms to 25-30ms and the difference was definitely noticeable. Everything just "felt" more responsive. Especially in PvP. People will tell you there isn't much a difference but I can definitely tell.

From personal experience there really isn't any difference at all. I use to run around 150ms for the longest time on my old server (moved to new server and now it's down to 30ms).

Only time I noticed any difference was when it hit about 250+

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played with 200-300 for the past 10 years and now that the Australian servers are up and running, I'm down to about 20-30. To be perfectly honest with you though, you can clear most if not all the current content and even get quite high when it comes to rated play with the latency I was sporting before. Your latency's completely fine.

When I raided with an old guild of mine in 4.0, we'd all (on average) have a latency of about 200-300 but since we cleared most of the content we thought we'd make things fun by increasing our latency by increasing the network traffic at our homes. We got to about 500 across the board before we started wiping.

It's crazy how much a difference 500 milliseconds can make, though.

MS stands for milliseconds so what ever you do will take about 0,1 seconds for the server to react and respond to your action which is not a lot if you think about it.

Unless you don't have 250ms+ in ping the game play shouldnt suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    No I'm not talking about extreme like wiping or dying from fire because of it no what I meant is for example, does it affect you a lot in meter? for example instead of being top number 1 you will be like 3rd or 4th because of it? something like that I mean does it affect that much or barely noticeable?
    If you would normally be 1st with 30ms, I highly doubt you would lose 4 places at ~150ms. You may miss a few spells throughout the entire fight or be a split second late on an interupt or instant cast spell, but not enough to cost you 3 places on meters. Unless it was super tight to begin with, then maybe.

I went from a 100ms server to <20 ms and can tell a difference in PvP and PvE.