Page 65 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    Yet they would kill a human in an earlier stage anyway.
    Nothing wrong with causing the destruction of tissue belonging to H. sapiens

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The lack of ideological introspection among the forced birthers is astounding. Those people never actually stop to think about their beliefs.
    Most people that espouse most of the moralistic standpoints don't.

To be fair, even Thomas Jefferson used the "inalienable rights" copout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I said inherently valuable. You can construct whatever value you want. But it doesn't change the innate quality of the value.

It isn't a child. I don't think anyone here would sacrifice their 7 year old to have sex once without having to worry about pregnancy.
    What is the difference between inherrant value (something that has value from the beginning) and any other value? How is value assigned to life? By people. Just because you do not assign something value does not mean others dont.

The example you use of a 7 year old child being sacrificed is not applied correctly. Any parent (I hope) of a child they have raised grows more and more attached to them after experiences and living with them, as would anyone who loves another. The comparison is if one life is worth having sex once worry free.

Think about the 'push the button for a million dollars dillema', when you push the button you get a reward, but someone in the world dies, most likely someone you will never know about. Who would push the button? Anyone who would get an abortion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumash View Post
    The main argument of this thread is about if abortion should be legal. I do not believe it should, and thus it would be murder.
    That's what you believe it should be, not what it is thus the use of the word is still incorrect and is naught but an attempt to invoke the negative emotions connected with the word 'murder' to abortion.

That is very interesting language you are using. To be a parasite, an organism must be there against the will of a host. You may argue that the mother does not want the baby thus it is a parasite. However the mother was very happy to create this 'parasite', not to mention even viewing a fetus this way is morally appalling to me.
    There is nothing about being a parasite about being there "against the will of a host". That it is there and how it 'lives' is sufficient for something to fulfill the definition of the word 'parasite'.

Also the logic that "the mother was happy to create this parasite" means nothing in this debate. People do things that negatively effect their health all the the time, that does not mean that they shouldn't be able to treat said issues.

You may find it morally appalling however it is an accurate description of a foetus' state of being.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the difference between inherrant value (something that has value from the beginning) and any other value? How is value assigned to life? By people. Just because you do not assign something value does not mean others dont.

The example you use of a 7 year old child being sacrificed is not applied correctly. Any parent (I hope) of a child they have raised grows more and more attached to them after experiences and living with them, as would anyone who loves another. The comparison is if one life is worth having sex once worry free.

Think about the 'push the button for a million dollars dillema', when you push the button you get a reward, but someone in the world dies, most likely someone you will never know about. Who would push the button? Anyone who would get an abortion.
    You're equating people (women, rather) that would get an abortion to someone that has no regard for other people. Very droll.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    A zygote is not a body part, no. A zygote is its own individual being. You're basically arguing that a common parasite would be the same as an arm. The funny thing here is that you think a zygote shares the exact same biological make up as its mother, which it does not.
    Parasites do not fuse with human tissue and become a part of their host. They live inside their host.

The funny thing here is that I never stated anything about the fetus and mother having the same biological makeup, and in fact I stated that they did not have the same biological makeup, and that this is no ground to determine the quality of 'individual being', as cancerous lesions have different genetic makeup from the rest of the body yet are considered part of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    goddammit wells, we finally got off of that "debate", dont start it again
    Having read many of Wells posts in the past, I usually ignore him due to his raging incompetence and bigotry.

Infracted: Please do not insult other users
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-06-29 at 08:17 AM.

Deleted
    Nothing wrong with causing the destruction of tissue belonging to H. sapiens
    It's a human being.

Funny thing here is that Texas is trying to pass a law to ban abortion at 20 weeks. By that time, it's a baby. It can live on even if it was born extremely early.

Having read many of Wells posts in the past, I usually ignore him due to his raging incompetence and bigotry.
    Stop it you're making me blush.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't see much of that coming from Wells unless the victims of his vitriol merit it; in which case they by definition deserve it.

So, I'll ask the question then. How do you define a human being or person?

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 04:18 PM ----------

It's a human being.

Funny thing here is that Texas is trying to pass a law to ban abortion at 20 weeks. By that time, it's a baby. It can live on even if it was born extremely early.
    Fun Fact: The vast majority of abortions take place before 18 weeks.

10+ Year Old Account

An inherent value is based on something. Any other value is not necessarily based on something, but it might be - you just have to prove that it is.

Your analogies are fine, but we still haven't agreed that fetuses are individual humans of equal status with actual individual humans.

Deleted
    Parasites do not fuse with human tissue and become a part of their host. They live inside their host.

The funny thing here is that I never stated anything about the fetus and mother having the same biological makeup, and in fact I stated that they did not have the same biological makeup, and that this is no ground to determine the quality of 'individual being', as cancerous lesions have different genetic makeup from the rest of the body yet are considered part of the body.
    But unlike like a cancerous lesion, a zygote is human.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 02:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I honestly don't see much of that coming from Wells unless the victims of his vitriol merit it; in which case they by definition deserve it.

So, I'll ask the question then. How do you define a human being or person?

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 04:18 PM ----------

Fun Fact: The vast majority of abortions take place before 18 weeks.
    Fun Fact: There are still many after. Not like it matters, cause you're still killing a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Bervose View Post
    That's what you believe it should be, not what it is thus the use of the word is still incorrect and is naught but an attempt to invoke the negative emotions connected with the word 'murder' to abortion.

There is nothing about being a parasite about being there "against the will of a host". That it is there and how it 'lives' is sufficient for something to fulfill the definition of the word 'parasite'.

Also the logic that "the mother was happy to create this parasite" means nothing in this debate. People do things that negatively effect their health all the the time, that does not mean that they shouldn't be able to treat said issues.

You may find it morally appalling however it is an accurate description of a foetus' state of being.
    I do not know of many parasites that are created partly by the host, and the host has a biological pathway for their development and eventual birth.

Also, you can change murder to killing if it makes you feel better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun Fact: There are still many after. Not like it matters, cause you're still killing a human.
    Many? Less than 1.1 percent.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a human being.

5 months? It's possible. But not without extreme medical aid. And even then, it doesn't matter much. Because it doesn't matter if 'it can live' if it's not an individual human right now at the current moment.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 07:21 PM ----------

But unlike like a cancerous lesion, a zygote is human.
    What's not human about a cancerous lesion?

It's a human being.

I bet you could count on one hand the number of viable births at 20 weeks gestation...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

This is the point its not a religous arguement, its subjective. We are both argueing points of when an individual. The problem is us we disagree with abortion can give scientific reasons, all proabortion people can do is compare two un alike things call the related to make a blanket statement which has no point but to call a fetus not an individual.
    Thinking about the idea that because of abortion you may not have existed is sickening. I know what ill get "I would know if i didnt existed" but thats the point neither would anyone else. Every dingle fertilized.egg deserves the right to run its life cycle until it puts anothers life in danger or is forced on them by rape, because that fetus did nothing wrong but exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Many? Less than 1.1 percent.
    Yes, thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    This is the point its not a religous arguement, its subjective. We are both argueing points of when an individual. The problem is us we disagree with abortion can give scientific reasons, all proabortion people can do is compare two un alike things call the related to make a blanket statement which has no point but to call a fetus not an individual.
    Thinking about the idea that because of abortion you may not have existed is sickening. I know what ill get "I would know if i didnt existed" but thats the point neither would anyone else. Every dingle fertilized.egg deserves the right to run its life cycle until it puts anothers life in danger or is forced on them by rape, because that fetus did nothing wrong but exist.
    So you want to ban in vitro fertilization then right?

No fetus has ever survived before at 20 weeks. The survival rate at 21 weeks is very low, it gets up to 50% by the 25h week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    So don't wear skimpy clothes getting raped is not entirely out of your control either.