Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    lol, im sure they prefer the term "privates"
    They have no choice in what I call them

Marriage is purely a religious thing. The fact that it has had legal benefits/ramifications to begin with is idiotic.

That's my opinion.

Yes actually.

Many soldiers go into marriage alot quicker than they normally would because they want to get out of the barracks. Contract marriages are not that uncommon.

Once again, not against gay marriage, just saying that it will have intresting implications within the military.
    I think in the long run it will cut away homophobia.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    why do people think calling obama "barry" is somehow condescending or a jab?
    Because they have no legitimate material to use, and thus, have to grasp at anything their simple minds can reach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    If repealing DOMA is going to give enough straight soldiers the balls to pretend they are gay in the military as an exploit, then it will only speed up the reform process of military contract marriages you are saying is needed.

Because birthers are idiots?

Maybe, like i said, im not against gay marriage, who someone loves is none of my buisness. The system that the military uses to incentize marriage is all dicked up.

Deleted
    Maybe, like i said, im not against gay marriage, who someone loves is none of my buisness. The system that the military uses to incentize marriage is all dicked up.
    Agreed, I have seen dozens of young squaddies get hitched on a whim by some gold digger only to have his life ruined later on, If I had my way I would have them go back to the old tradition of getting the CO's permission to get hitched.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    why do people think calling obama "barry" is somehow condescending or a jab?
    when i see it i pretty much assume the person has fuck all to say. when i read further i have yet to be proven wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Any gay couple uninterested in it needs to wake up. There are legal protections...medical and financial, that are a necessary part of marriage and one reason I've been championing it for so long. Not to say that I'm married but to make sure the horror stories of 50+ year couples watching their entire lives taken away by the state or a vengeful family never come true for me.
    I'm a gay Canadian and have had legal access to marriage since 2003. I strongly advocated for equality before it happened, but I (personally) still want nothing to do with the institution. You can advocate for equal access to something without necessarily wanting it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    I think in the long run it will cut away homophobia.
    From what ive seen in the last few years especially, is that homophilia isn't as prevelant in the military as it used to be. There are at least 4 lesbians I know of within my battalion, and no one really gives a shit.

Thing is, in my opinion sexuality shouldn't really be addressed while at work. Your gay, striaght...whatever. Do what you wanna do, but while in uniform your a soldier and we got a job to do.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    It will be a legitimate issue, its part of the reason DOMA was implemented.

Single soldiers living in the barracks get a mistaken view of married soldiers that they get 100x more benefits....which isn't all that far off.
    My point is that the same concern was raised here in Canada when we legalized it, and it never happened. Roommates weren't suddenly marrying each other, and dudes in the barracks weren't marrying each other so they could live elsewhere. These concerns weren't founded on anything. People just don't engage in complicated legal proceedings (which are difficult and expensive to get out of) to do that. That's the same reason why you rarely (if ever) find opposite-sex friends who just get married for the benefits, even though it's an option. Most people reserve marriage for someone who they legitimately want to marry and share their lives with. It's a culturally important act, which is most it's not taken lightly in the manner you were proposing.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Agreed, I have seen dozens of young squaddies get hitched on a whim by some gold digger only to have his life ruined later on, If I had my way I would have them go back to the old tradition of getting the CO's permission to get hitched.
    Yes i agree with you 10000000% on that Rich.

I always tell my new soldiers that I have seen shitty spouses destroy more lives then in battle.

I always tell them...

1. Don't marry a local they know your pay chart better than you do.
    2. Don't marry a stripper....just a bad idea.
    3. Don't marry a fellow servicemember, bad idea to dip your pen in company ink.

goddamn, this. i had to explain to some idiot that she showed everybody her tits, it was her damned job, it didnt mean she loved him
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doma.. dead as a doornail, Prop 8 the trash it always was. Partaaay

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    Marriage is purely a religious thing. The fact that it has had legal benefits/ramifications to begin with is idiotic.

That's my opinion.
    Unfortunately for you, your opinion is entirely wrong and shows a lack of understanding of the history of marriage.

For the majority of the Christian era, for instance (since most making this argument do so from a Christian perspective), marriage was not a Christian sacrament. It was pretty much entirely secular. That's why, today, you can still get married by a justice of the peace with no religion involved whatsoever. Because "marriage" has always been about laws surrounding taxation and, primarily, inheritance.

Whether it originated that way or not is unclear, since both legal systems and marriage predate historical record, but with regards to Christianity specifically, there's no room for debate; if you think marriage is a Christian sacrament first and a legal institution second, you are simply flat-out wrong.

You may choose to put your religious values ahead of your secular values, and that's fine, but that's a personal choice you make for yourself, and it has no bearing on the history of the institution of marriage itself.

Deleted
    Yes i agree with you 10000000% on that Rich.

I always tell my new soldiers that I have seen shitty spouses destroy more lives then in battle.

I always tell them...

1. Don't marry a local they know your pay chart better than you do.
    3. Don't marry a fellow servicemember, bad idea to dip your pen in company ink.
    That is so damn true, most servicemen have not got a clue about benefits when it comes to children etc, how come so many civvie woman know more than most company pay clerks?

I always tell my lads not to get married unless she has a career of her own, otherwise you end up with a professional baby maker that will rob them blind.

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    My point is that the same concern was raised here in Canada when we legalized it, and it never happened. Roommates weren't suddenly marrying each other, and dudes in the barracks weren't marrying each other so they could live elsewhere. These concerns weren't founded on anything. People just don't engage in complicated legal proceedings (which are difficult and expensive to get out of) to do that. That's the same reason why you rarely (if ever) find opposite-sex friends who just get married for the benefits, even though it's an option. Most people reserve marriage for someone who they legitimately want to marry and share their lives with. It's a culturally important act, which is most it's not taken lightly in the manner you were proposing.

I think you are underestimaing the stupidity of youth lol.

When single soldiers see married soldiers of the same rank living in a 3 bedroom house while they are living in a closet (seriously, the rooms are that small). Soldiers will go through extraordinary means to aquire better living conditions.

Ive seen 18 year old soldiers marry 27 year olds with 3 kids from 3 fathers, strictly because they want out of the barracks....than get hosed.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what ive seen in the last few years especially, is that homophilia isn't as prevelant in the military as it used to be. There are at least 4 lesbians I know of within my battalion, and no one really gives a shit.
    I think you met HomoPHOBIA there.

Thing is, in my opinion sexuality shouldn't really be addressed while at work. Your gay, striaght...whatever. Do what you wanna do, but while in uniform your a soldier and we got a job to do.
    That's the rite way to deal with it. Bravo
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    I think you are underestimaing the stupidity of youth lol.

When single soldiers see married soldiers of the same rank living in a 3 bedroom house while they are living in a closet (seriously, the rooms are that small). Soldiers will go through extraordinary means to aquire better living conditions.

Ive seen 18 year old soldiers marry 27 year olds with 3 kids from 3 fathers, strictly because they want out of the barracks....than get hosed.

This is what is in store usually.

That is so damn true, most servicemen have not got a clue about benefits when it comes to children etc, how come so many civvie woman know more than most company pay clerks?

I always tell my lads not to get married unless she has a career of her own, otherwise you end up with a professional baby maker that will rob them blind.
    I facepalm when i hear "Sarge I don't know what to do, my wife just wrecked my truck, sold all my household goods, and emptied my bankaccount 2 weeks before we are supposed to re-deploy, why would she do this?"

"How long did you know eachother before you got married?"

"2 months...but we really loved eachother!"

---------- Post added 2013-06-26 at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
    I think you met HomoPHOBIA there.
    lol...shit yeah i really screwed the pooch on that one lol.

---------- Post added 2013-06-26 at 01:33 PM ----------

This is what is in store usually.
    LOL, god ive seen this to often when its not even shocking anymore...

Although in her defense maybe he knocked her up while on R&R leave....

maybe.