Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Can't find a reference for the Beads, don't know the name of what I'm looking for but beads are common amongst all monks be it for remembering prayers or mantras. The shoes however are called Geta and they are very specifically a Japanese affectation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geta_(footwear)

Japan doesn't have a school of ass kicking monks as far as I'm aware. Udyr didn't go to Monk school he's a wild man of the forest a Shaman which is the traditional priest of old Japan. Shinto is an animistic belief which revolves around living in harmony with the spirits and that is Udyr's back story.

Deleted
    IMO it should be legendary, not ultimate. Icons and banners aren't worth it.

Deleted
    Pretty cool. Wouldn't pay 3250 RP for it (then again, I wouldn't pay that much for ANY skin) but 1950? I might buy it.

Deleted
    I love it. Imma buy it on day 1, specially when it's on sale for 1st 4 days.

Idk why some people think this should be a classic look for Udyr.
    I don't even play him but I'm gonna buy him just for this.

I mean you can have different splash art, you get icons and banners,
    the effects are amazing. I mean look at Ez's ultimate. He just evolves
    with more armor and high tech equipment and I really like Udyr's more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Can't find a reference for the Beads, don't know the name of what I'm looking for but beads are common amongst all monks be it for remembering prayers or mantras. The shoes however are called Geta and they are very specifically a Japanese affectation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geta_(footwear)

Japan doesn't have a school of ass kicking monks as far as I'm aware. Udyr didn't go to Monk school he's a wild man of the forest a Shaman which is the traditional priest of old Japan. Shinto is an animistic belief which revolves around living in harmony with the spirits and that is Udyr's back story.
    the Spear Monk of the Hozoin were BADASS and would have put the Shaolin down in seconds, Japan actually has a fairly extensive history of fighting monks (google Sohei), they just don't have the PR that the Shaolin have .

That said I think Udyr is niether chinese nor japanese, he's kinda.. panasian, they just took the parts they liked, mushed them all together and called him Ionian/Freljordian
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    It was the right way to go about his Ultimate Skin. Having just a higher rez Primal Udyr 2.0 skin would have been the expected route. I like the way it looks, it has a ridiculous amount of particle effects and custom voice work (almost 4 min worth of custom audio interaction with various champs/mobs in the game). As a long time Udyr fan im pretty stoked.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

Deleted
    Ugly primitive looking brute in skirt. Well I thought there were enough of those already...

Quote Originally Posted by TDrog View Post
    I'm not an Udyr player, but the Primal skin is WAY better than this imo. This is how base Udyr should be updated, not epic at all.
    I agree. It honestly looks like a legendary skin(a bunch of fancy spell effects, for the most part) for a visually updated Udyr. Am I getting it? Sure, it looks cool, and it'll be at the legendary pricepoint(or close enough, anyway) when I get it, which I can justify paying for it.
    The rank 5 evolutions are really just giving you back what all the other skins already have: your face being covered in something related to the animal in question.
    The spell effects for changing stance are mostly "just" what I'd expect from an Udyr VU(which I know would take a TON of work, and that's why this skin is so expensive). Actual 3D spelleffects for stance changes instead of just a 2D popup on top of your character depicting the face of the animal you transform into.
    The things that are actually new are the spell effects on his hands in the different stances, the recall animation, the combat animations(which look really nice) and the new quotes.

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 07:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tenhou View Post
    I love it, looks great. I think the plain look is quite good for someone who's meant to be spiritual, and the added effects of the spells make it look great.

And as a plus, i will be using that Phoenix icon, it looks awesome!

Although it would be fairly awesome aswell if they made his normal form keep some aesthetics from the fully ranked spells. Not the whole effect, but some small effect showing what skills he has at max rank.
    Something similar to what Kha'zix gets even in his base skin, where his evolved abilities change his model, would be really cool for Udyr. Some variations in all his stances based on what he has maxed, so in the end you have 3 out of the 4 possible "marks".
    Last edited by Tradu; 2013-06-27 at 05:51 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Not that impressed with it so far, although I may still get him. I do feel that the arguments of "Rumble/Karma/Poppy/Sion/Lee Sin/Riven/Teemo/Fiora/some other champion should have gotten an ultimate skin instead" are somewhat valid.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2013-06-27 at 05:53 PM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    Not that impressed with it so far, although I may still get him. I do feel that the arguments of "Rumble/Karma/Poppy/Sion/Lee Sin/Riven/Teemo/Fiora/some other champion should have gotten an ultimate skin instead" are somewhat valid.
    Maybe not Teemo, but yeah, there were other champions that are more popular that they could've made an ultimate skin for. The reason they did Udyr was probably because making skins for him takes much more effort in the first place(9001 different models), so they might as well just throw everything at it and make it even better.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

15+ Year Old Account
    Its what regular Udyr should look like.

Granted, they put a lot of work into it...but anyone shelling out 3k+ RP for a single skin is out of their minds OR has a lot of disposable income (not likely).
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Maybe not Teemo, but yeah, there were other champions that are more popular that they could've made an ultimate skin for. The reason they did Udyr was probably because making skins for him takes much more effort in the first place(9001 different models), so they might as well just throw everything at it and make it even better.
    True. But even though releasing an ultimate skin for Karma would be just the thing to get rid of the "new Karma still sucks" belief, I do understand the argument that people would not want a low win-rate/low usage champion to get that skin. Also, remember that prior to PFE's release, he wasn't that popular of a champion other than in the Asian scene, and only after PFE's release and a mana cost reduction to W did realize how good Ezreal is.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Its what regular Udyr should look like.

Granted, they put a lot of work into it...but anyone shelling out 3k+ RP for a single skin is out of their minds OR has a lot of disposable income (not likely).
    It won't be 3k+ when it's released anyway, and luckily I have enough money to pay for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    IMO it should be legendary, not ultimate. Icons and banners aren't worth it.
    Ultimate = a skin that evolves, gives you an icon and banner.
    Legendary = a skin that has impressive special effects and animations.

It's obviously an Ultimate skin, plus it took them some time to make due to the different "skins" needed for the different stances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the quality is beyond a legendary skin, but I don't play Udyr anyway so I wouldn't pick up the skin no matter the quality.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    The pictures definitely don't do this skin justice. My first thought this morning when looking at them was "Wtf, this is an ultimate skin?" Just looking at pictures, I was thinking legendary quality at best.

Then I watched the video. Each recall has a different color based on stance. When you kill enemy champions (and maybe minions, it didn't show) they leave that little energy thing that is the color of the stance your in. The dance is awesome, with all 4 spirits popping up over your head. Jokes and taunts for each stance. Evolving model when he hits rank 5 on his spells. This skin is amazing.

Now, while the color thing seems a little on the light side, the amount of work that went into doing that was probably immense. This is the first time on any skin or champion that recall has multiple colors like that based on stance. Second skin to have special kill animations (PFE disintegrate) and it takes it one step above that and adds color based on the stance you are in. Before this skin, Riot did not have the technology to do what seems like a simple color change. I'm studying to be a game programmer, I can relate to how much time and effort it must have taken to what is ultimately a subtle addition that makes the skin much nicer and more cohesive.

The best part about this is they now have the technology to use it on other skins and champions. The evolve mechanic on PFE probably led to the evolve mechanic on Kha'Zix. No PFE, no Kha, or at least no visual representation of his evolutions (if he even had them before in his design).

I will definitely be buying this skin. It has blown me away. I do wish they had taken a more Freljordian theme to make it stand out more from Primal Udyr, but it's still an amazing skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's way better than Pulsefire Ezreal, so I'm content with it.

I mean, I think Pulsefire Ezreal is crap and a waste of money, I don't really get why people think it qualifies as a ultimate skin and SGU does not.
    Last edited by Puck; 2013-06-27 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    I watched the video. Each recall has a different color based on stance. When you kill enemy champions (and maybe minions, it didn't show) they leave that little energy thing that is the color of the stance your in. The dance is awesome, with all 4 spirits popping up over your head. Jokes and taunts for each stance. Evolving model when he hits rank 5 on his spells. This skin is amazing.

Now, while the color thing seems a little on the light side, the amount of work that went into doing that was probably immense. This is the first time on any skin or champion that recall has multiple colors like that based on stance. Second skin to have special kill animations (PFE disintegrate) and it takes it one step above that and adds color based on the stance you are in. Before this skin, Riot did not have the technology to do what seems like a simple color change.
    You said it all i feel he has way more effects, the special interactions with fb, baron, dragon it's really nice, the new quotes, taunts in different stances is a lot of work.
    This skin in my point of view is not even close to the legendary category. His base skin is really crap i must say, yea a rework could have been good

10+ Year Old Account
    So I played with it on the pbe, and the videos/pictures don't really do it justice. Perhaps the most striking thing to me is how vivid the colors on his animations are, and how satisfying the auto animations are. Turtle in particular is really good.

I could basically type out what Axe did, but i'm not going to since I would be saying pretty much the same thing.

I buy it for 1.9k rp just for the tiger banner.

Will be missed ~