Help with new computer build

ok so my motherboard got fried the other night so im looking to build one for the fist time, im looking at the parts i need to buy and was wondering if i could use my old SSD because its 640.GB, then i was also wondering because im a total noob at this and couldnt find the right wording to find my answer on google but if i keep my old ssd would i still have to buy a new version of windows? ive done lots of research over the past yea as ive wanted to build a pc for a long time know so i have the basic knowlege of what parts i need but i havent gotten into picking out picking them out specificaly, also i plan to go with an intel i5 any specific one you guys would suggest, never realized there were so many different specs for the same core thing lol thanks in advance for the help
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-06-27 at 04:43 PM.

What version of windows is it? I'm just curious, but so long as you have the CD Key and the CD or an installer you can reuse it.

Reusing the SSD shouldn't be a problem either. I'm guessing this is a prebuild from a year ago? Anyways to help you out if you could help everyone else out that would be great. Check out: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-build-Read-me! and fill in the info here.

Otherwise to get you started here is a sample build of an I5 if you want to overclock. This would be a gaming setup able to handle just about anything. (Yes I included a SSD and a OS - just so you can see the added price)
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aPGX

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($92.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($93.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($148.54 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1272.44
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 11:26 EDT-0400)
    Last edited by Sthos; 2013-06-27 at 03:30 PM.

well its vista right now but i dont have the cd key or cd for it and this comp is like 5 years old w/ no upgrades in it just left it stock all this time. and as for the build u have posted, thanks for the breakdown but i was hoping for a little more around 5-600 $ budget, i have a case already and i plan to just use my old SSD and redo with Win7 so that will save me a tiny but of money, any other things u would sugest for cheaper builds? or were i should look. also the cpu u listed is realy great price but unfortunatly we dont have ANY micro centers in wisconsin and that price is for in stor pickup only

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 03:57 PM ----------

but as for my original question, if i just get Win7 and wipe my old SSD it would work just fine?

Quote Originally Posted by activewheat View Post
    but as for my original question, if i just get Win7 and wipe my old SSD it would work just fine?
    There is no issues with reusing a HD. You could plug your SSD into your new PC and it /might/ work. Your HD should not have any impact on your hardware. Now I only say might because it is about a 50/50 shot. If you're setup is very similar your success rate is higher but really Vista was awful and you should just reformat to Win 7. If you do reformat you will have no problems reusing the drive.

also just so u know i dont plan to overclock, dont know what it is or how to do it ive just heard it alot, mabey if i knew how and tried it id start but yea me and OC are complete strangers

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 04:29 PM ----------

yea i plan on rewiping for Win7 andyways so im just gona keep it

well its vista right now but i dont have the cd key or cd for it and this comp is like 5 years old w/ no upgrades in it just left it stock all this time. and as for the build u have posted, thanks for the breakdown but i was hoping for a little more around 5-600 $ budget, i have a case already and i plan to just use my old SSD and redo with Win7 so that will save me a tiny but of money, any other things u would sugest for cheaper builds? or were i should look. also the cpu u listed is realy great price but unfortunatly we dont have ANY micro centers in wisconsin and that price is for in stor pickup only

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 03:57 PM ----------

Take a look at http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds
    Budget Gaming 570

Otherwise if you are dead set on a I5 it's a little over budget and the GPU and PSU can be switched out for cheaper parts. It would help to know what you will be using the PC for though.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.29 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H87M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.89 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($127.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $799.10
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 12:44 EDT-0400)
    Last edited by Sthos; 2013-06-27 at 04:48 PM.

ill be using it for wow mostly but im interested in other stuff just never had a comp that could run anything els then wow

Also, on your SSD - I am assuming this is from your HP AMD build correct? If so you will want to reformat, you will have issues trying to put that drive into a completely new system. For your case is it the HP case as well? I ask because you will need to watch the space of it so the video card you choose and mobo you pick fit in it. The Micro I selected in my last build should fit any case but still worth to keep a watch on.

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 11:59 AM ----------

ill be using it for wow mostly but im interested in other stuff just never had a comp that could run anything els then wow
    For wow an I5 is great, the last one I linked is not able to overclock but it might be worth wild to get the i5-4670k (has to be k for overclocking) just in case you ever plan to try it. Usually costs the same or maybe $10 more. 8GB of RAM is all you will need, the 7850 will be enough to run wow as well. Perhaps we can knock the PSU down to a 550w, would only save you a few $$

A 4670+7850 can probably run on 450W actually, and to save some more you could consider going with the stock cooler. While temps will definitely be much higher, as long as you aren't stressing your CPU out it should do fine.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    I assume by SSD you actually mean HDD since it's 640GB?

If you can stretch the budget I would definitely recommend an unlocked CPU with Z77 motherboard, you can auto overclock with one click in BIOS/UEFI ~4.2GHz

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($159.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Enermax 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($28.25 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $662.15
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 15:26 EDT-0400)

If you must push the budget lower then swap to this (no overclocking):

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($159.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Enermax 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($28.25 @ Newegg)
    Total: $597.17
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 15:34 EDT-0400)