Heroic Horridon, MD on Cooldown or no?

So we killed Heroic Horridon last night.

I have one question about the encounter. I know that our AOE threat is somewhat weak as prot warriors and i really have to fight the trigger happy DPS to keep adds on me when i am tanking them.

Do you MD the adds on cooldown to the tank when working on the doors?

Should they be MD'd on cooldown on that fight or is it too much of a DPS loss as our hunter in our group claims?

It can be a bother. Add placing may be an issue.
    I always keep the add tank on focus and have MD to be cast on focus. No target dropping is the trick I guess.
    Last edited by Kavoo; 2013-06-27 at 04:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your hunter is anticipating when the adds are popping out, it's really not that much of a hassle. I normally MD the add tank and throw a few instants around, really shouldn't hinder his dps much. just get him to prioritize the certain adds you really need md'd ( adds off to the side or odd placements ) That should do the trick and not make your hunter hate you . Hope that helps

p.s Using targeting macros helps with this abit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't, but if your tank is struggling to hold anything then its definitely something you can do to help him out! Just prioritize Wastewalkers, Venom Priests, Frozen Warlords and Bears/Shamans!

I had to change some stuff up in my gear as well and my play style to help out. We got it in about 5 pulls last night. Every attempt is it about 4 misdirects.

I appreciate the replies. Good luck on your future raiding or whatever you do in game.

Deleted
    MD cost nothing (no focus and no gcd) so there's no reason to not use it when needed.

That said, MD won't magically solve your threat issue. Especially if your hunter is BM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    MD cost nothing (no focus and no gcd) so there's no reason to not use it when needed.

That said, MD won't magically solve your threat issue. Especially if your hunter is BM.
    Problem with this train of thought is that is what led to a bugged misdirect macro'd into every instant for non stop threat transfer resulting in raids thinking that hunter MD was the crutch and free pass to go nuts on DPS without any thought. The majority opinion these days is that if there were no mail agi gear to soak, there would always be a better alternative than a hunter. Not to go off on a tangent but following that train of thought there's never a need for misdirection mid-fight. Might it help? Possibly. Required? No. Is it a DPS loss? It's not on GCD, it costs no focus, so I'm not sure what your hunters' reasoning is for claiming it's a DPS loss other than he didn't anticipate and pool enough focus to dump during the misdirect.

MD going unfixed for 9 months [while being pretty sweet while it lasted] enabled a lotof DPS and tanks to an extent to be lazy ass fucks and they are now readjusting. (Not saying you're a lazy tank, but this is my general observation)

Now that that's fixed - Threat transfer from two misdirected multishots for 4 seconds is not going to give the rest of the DPS a free pass to not control their personal threat. A couple misdirected arcanes will at best allow the tank to pick up an add or two without as much effort assuming your other DPS is smart enough to not aoe/cleave that target before you can MD it.

My guild actually did this with two prot warriors and yeah, the add tank definitely got the short end of the stick. I'm not sure how many adds you get in 10 vs 25 but almost all the secondary target adds are susceptible to some form of CC and you have far more options as far as control is concerned there, than with a mediocre 4 second threat transfer once every 30 seconds at best.

God I miss that MD bug. I didn't keep MD up *all the time but running around gathering adds with a couple MDs for the tank was pretty standard on Horridon and Tortos bats. Unbugged, the second set of bats is out while its still on Cool down.

I can't wait to go tell my tank e's a lazy ass fuck and the free lunches are OVER! Baaam!

Our add tank will tank the boss when there are no adds around so he can keep vengeance high, then there are no excuses when adds actually appear for him to pick up stuff.

I wouldn't say MD on CD. I save my MDs for when i have Barrage + I think it's like 2-3 adds come down at once from either side.

Well the good thing is MD shares a cooldown with barrage, so as long as the hunter is facing in the adds general direction they can MD+barrage without a need for target swapping. I dont MD on cooldown, I MD when a large number of adds are out and more new ones spawn to join them. If I blindly used it on cooldown it might be wasted on a couple adds the tank already has threat on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    Should they be MD'd on cooldown on that fight or is it too much of a DPS loss as our hunter in our group claims?
    Sounds like he's making excuses for not knowing how to use misdirect properly. As others have said, its not on GCD, Costs no focus and shares a CD with Barrage. Even if it did have a GCD this 'dps loss' is not going to be significant to the point that its worth letting someone potentially get smacked hard by an add and die. Also, while I dont know his DPS, raid times, etc..., considering you just killed H Horridon, theres probably a number of other things he can do to improve his DPS...

I generally Barrage/MD on the second set of adds for snap threat, though our tanks are doing a much better job at being able to pick them up immediately.

Below is a helpful macro. He can obviously replace Barrage with something else if he's not taking it, though the only reason I could see that is if you had quite good DPS on the adds already and often dont get more than 2-3 out at a time. You could easily put a mouseover in there.

The MD macro will go as follow, MD on focus, MD on target if its friendly, MD on pet, then cast barrage.

#showtooltip Barrage
    /cast [@focus,help][help][@pet,exists] Misdirection
    /cast Barrage
    Last edited by Teucer; 2013-06-29 at 06:49 PM.