10+ Year Old Account

Purchased new SSD/GPU

I just ordered my new card and ssd today. My SSD will be here tomorrow according to Amazon, and my card will be here on Saturday. These will be my first upgrades to my build since I built it 2-3 years ago. I would like to find out the first things to do after receiving the items.

As far as the SSD goes, I have read around and clean installing seems to be the way to go. But does anyone know of any guides that could walk me through making my SSD my main drive, with my current HDD being used for storage of documents/pictures/old steam games and etc?\

I found this little Optimization Guide that I do plan to use as well. http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/o...ation-guide-2/

As far as the GPU goes, can I just remove my 470, plug the new one in and voila. Or do I need to find out how to remove the 470 Drivers before I even do anything?
    Last edited by Deafyx; 2013-06-27 at 11:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the SSD
    1) Shut off system, unplug HDD power, install SSD
    2) Turn on system, go into BIOS, and ensure that your drives are set to "AHCI" mode, rather than "IDE" (It's often default, but its good to check)
    3) Install Windows on SSD normally
    4) After install, shut system off again, plug HDD back in
    5) Turn on system, go into BIOS again, and verify that SSD is primary boot drive
    6) Boot into Windows, transfer over your user files and anything you need from the /users area, and delete the users and windows folders after you KNOW you have everything. Back up any stuff you want from programs and... welll... honestly everything that isnt 'data'. Your intent is for the HDD to be purely a data drive now.

For the GPU
    1) Uninstall old drivers/programs (from the controlpanel / program manager)
    2) Download newest driver from nvidia/ati website (dont install yet)
    3) Shut off system, uninstall old card
    4) Install new card, cables, etc
    5) Boot into windows, install driver suite that you downloaded previously.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    For the SSD
    1) Shut off system, unplug HDD power, install SSD
    2) Turn on system, go into BIOS, and ensure that your drives are set to "AHCI" mode, rather than "IDE" (It's often default, but its good to check)
    3) Install Windows on SSD normally
    4) After install, shut system off again, plug HDD back in
    5) Turn on system, go into BIOS again, and verify that SSD is primary boot drive
    6) Boot into Windows, transfer over your user files and anything you need from the /users area, and delete the users and windows folders after you KNOW you have everything. Back up any stuff you want from programs and... welll... honestly everything that isnt 'data'. Your intent is for the HDD to be purely a data drive now.

For the GPU
    1) Uninstall old drivers/programs (from the controlpanel / program manager)
    2) Download newest driver from nvidia/ati website (dont install yet)
    3) Shut off system, uninstall old card
    4) Install new card, cables, etc
    5) Boot into windows, install driver suite that you downloaded previously.
    Thanks for the lone reply!

Deleted
    Since you need to reinstall windows on the SSD, you won't need to uninstall drivers from the GPU, especially if you buy another nvidia, then you can just put it in and it works, assuming you have the newest drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Since you need to reinstall windows on the SSD, you won't need to uninstall drivers from the GPU, especially if you buy another nvidia, then you can just put it in and it works, assuming you have the newest drivers.
    You would need to copy the OS to the SSD which wont work. Cloning from HDD to SSD isnt compatible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone have a link to things I should be copying over to the SSD? I really want to be ABSOLUTLEY sure I copy everything I possibly need from the HDD to the SSD.

Also, do I put my Anti Virus program on the SSD as well, or leave it on my HDD?
    Last edited by Deafyx; 2013-06-28 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    Does anyone have a link to things I should be copying over to the SSD? I really want to be ABSOLUTLEY sure I copy everything I possibly need from the HDD to the SSD.

Also, do I put my Anti Virus program on the SSD as well, or leave it on my HDD?
    There is no reason (other than running out of space) to not install stuff on your SSD. Only thing you'd want to keep on the HDD is things like pictures, movies, music, things that are purely for storage and benefits nothing from faster load speeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by forsworn View Post
    You would need to copy the OS to the SSD which wont work. Cloning from HDD to SSD isnt compatible.
    This isn't true. Cloning from HDD to SSD is 100% compatible, and very little work is required to do it. It's just recommended since it often involved paring down the data on the large HDD to the small SSD, which defeats the purpose to an extent.

I recently cloned my GF's drive to her SSD, as she had less than 200gb, and she didn't want to reinstall all of her photo editing software.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 01:37 PM ----------

Things on my SSD: Everything except whats on my HDD
    Things on my HDD: Movies, Music, Pictures, Software installers (backup purposes), CD ISO's, and any other backup stuff (text files, websites, etc that I never use)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    This isn't true. Cloning from HDD to SSD is 100% compatible, and very little work is required to do it. It's just recommended since it often involved paring down the data on the large HDD to the small SSD, which defeats the purpose to an extent.

I recently cloned my GF's drive to her SSD, as she had less than 200gb, and she didn't want to reinstall all of her photo editing software.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 01:37 PM ----------

Things on my SSD: Everything except whats on my HDD
    Things on my HDD: Movies, Music, Pictures, Software installers (backup purposes), CD ISO's, and any other backup stuff (text files, websites, etc that I never use)
    What I want to do is basically reformat my HDD after I move all my pictures/documents/videos and etc to External HD. So there is really NOTHING to move over except personal pictures/documents and the likes of it? No important files or anything?

Deleted
    What I want to do is basically reformat my HDD after I move all my pictures/documents/videos and etc to External HD. So there is really NOTHING to move over except personal pictures/documents and the likes of it? No important files or anything?
    Once Windows is installed on the SSD and you've moved your pictures etc. so there is nothing on the HDD you don't need personally then just right click the drive inside of windows and format.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by forsworn View Post
    perhaps you'd be better off with some better reading comprehension my friend

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Once Windows is installed on the SSD and you've moved your pictures etc. so there is nothing on the HDD you don't need personally then just right click the drive inside of windows and format.
    Sweet, ty. I had a small hiccup, nothing a restart did not fix thankfully. But currently everything is running smoothly so far. (Knock on wood).

I bought the 250gb non pro Samsung 840. After installing Windows, Antivirus, and Word I was left with 199/232 GB. Currently installing WoW as I type this.

My 760 SC is currently shipped out according to Amazon so I will have that tomorrow!