Deleted

New gaming rig - opinions?

First of all: Hi and thanks for your time!

Because my old gaming PC decided to suddenly completely stop working today (after having several issues over the last few months), I decided to give myself a treat and grasp the opportunity to buy a whole new rig!
    Because we all know, buying new rigs is awesome.

This will be my first self-build PC, I always sticked to prebuilds so far.
    I was quite tempted to do so again at first, because I somehow like the convenience that comes with it - but then again, I reckon building a PC on my own would be interesting and fun. Plus I'll probably get a much better system for the same or an only slightly higher price.
    Last but not least I can choose the components I want.

After spending several hours on it, this is what I've come up with.
    I'll be using it mainly for gaming, but also for occasional rendering.
    Additional note: I did not only choose the parts in regard of the price or perfomance, but also in regards of the availability as I need the new PC relatively soon for other important stuff, too.

Here we go:
    Case: NZXT Phantom Big-Tower black
    Power Supply: CORSAIR 850HX
    CPU: Intel i7-4770K
    Heatsink: Corsair H100i
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero S-1150
    Memory: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum, 16 GB, 1866
    GPU: Asus GTX Titan
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
    SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series, 256 GB

I know that especially the Titan could be overkill...but it's just too tempting to pass on it.

Like I said, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-06-29 at 01:00 AM.

Deleted
    The 780 is a Titan more or less but cost $350 less.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would honestly not suggest anything in that build, due to either overprice, or overkill, or not fitting your needs.
    Power Supply: CORSAIR 850HX
    You don't need 850w. Even with a Titan.
    Arguable, but for 'occasional rendering', no.
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero S-1150
    There are cheaper, just as good boards.
    Memory: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum, 16 GB, 1866
    16gb not needed, 1600mhz ram is fine.
    GPU: Asus GTX Titan
    780 is better choice
    Black speeds not used for data drive. Get Blue.
    SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series, 256 GB
    Get the non-pro version.

I know you want to get a super great system, that will last a long time, but all of those additions over what I noted will provide effectively zero benefit to you, at the cost of... hundreds. Several hundreds, at the very least.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    First of all, thank you.

Most of the parts are fom the Unicorn Setup of the Month - so I thought they should be ok. Maybe a bit over the top, but ok.
    This would especially include the memory, the HDD and the SSD.

At first I thought about simply going for a 3770k...but since I have to get a new Mobo anyway, and a 4770k isn't that much more expensive than a 3770k or a 4770, I decided to just go for it.
    The Mobo itself is a point where I wasn't sure about. Chaud recommends the ASUS Z87, but I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one in a reasonable amount of time.
    As for the PSU, the same mentioned above applies in regards of a 750 or something like that.
    Also, the price difference isn't that massive (maybe 40$ or something like that) - but of course I know that those small differences can add up quickly.

Which memory would you recommend? Still go for the Dominator Plat (1600), or rather take the Vengeance/Kingston HyperX etc?
    And what about the case? Is the Phantom a viable choice, or is there another one I should look at?

Other than that...the titan is mainly the point where I thought "Screw it...why not!".
    But like I said, thanks very much for your input. It's definitely greatly appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    actually guys how do you know what resolution he wants?

total budget:
    intended use:
    need peripherals like monitors?

answer this

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    total budget:
    About 3,3k max.

intended use:
    "I'll be using it mainly for gaming, but also for occasional rendering."
    But it's not only about what I need. There are some parts I'd like to have, and the rest of the build of course should go fine with them - the last thing I want is buying for example a titan and bottlenecking it afterwards.

need peripherals like monitors?
    Not necessarily. I bought a new monitor not too long ago; and still could use my other peripherals.

10+ Year Old Account
    3.3k dollars (US) / pebbles / rupees / euro?

Edit: What is the resolution of this monitor? If it is only 1920x1080 and you are not going to buy two more of these for a 5760x1080 setup, Titan is wasted by a $600 margin

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    3.3k dollars (US) / pebbles / rupees / euro?
    Dollars. Or about 2,5k Euros.

Edit: What is the resolution of this monitor? If it is only 1920x1080 and you are not going to buy two more of these for a 5760x1080 setup, Titan is wasted by a $600 margin
    It's 1920x1080, but I'm indeed planning on setting up a multi-screen solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you ever plan on going SLI, Titan in 2-way SLI scales really well
    Also, this custom BIOS is testament to the potential power of the Titan http://www.overclock.net/t/1405156/p...#post_20295035 as it gains an across the board 40% increase in gaming performance when loaded with a BIOS that doesnt throttle

But an SLI 770 (total cost $800) is great for 5760x1080 and it beats the performance of 1 Titan at 5760x1080, I would get that imo

Might want to get H110 cooler if it fits in that case

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Nivis;21601320]First of all, thank you.

4770k isn't that much more expensive than a 3770k or a 4770, I decided to just go for it.
    While your budget certainly supports it, I always feel that "just because you can spend it, doesn't mean you SHOULD".

Not only that, but it is often better to spend in smaller amount more often, than large amounts less often.

A $1250 system every 3 years, will last longer and perform better than a $2500 system every 5-6 years. It might be worth stashing away money now, to use for later.

Which memory would you recommend? Still go for the Dominator Plat (1600), or rather take the Vengeance/Kingston HyperX etc?
    I would get the cheapest 2x4gb 1.5v DDR3-1600 available. There is no real difference between ram anymore.

When you say "multi screen setup" do you mean... two screens, one for gaming, one for 'everything else', or do you plan on a 3840x1080 setup? It would make a big difference on what you ought to get.

For a single screen gaming setup, a 780 will be plenty. For a dual screen gaming, the dual 770s might be nice. Single and dual cards also make a huge difference on power draw.

If I didn't comment on anything, I either have no opinion, or don't know enough on the matter.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Again, thank you very much for your opinion(s).

After playing around with the specs a bit more, a swapped some components and lowered the price by about 800$...which is quite a lot.
    What do you think about it?

Case: NZXT Phantom Big-Tower black
    Power Supply: CORSAIR GS700
    Heatsink: Corsair H110
    Motherboard: ASUS ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 1600
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770
    SSD: Intel 335 Series, 180 GB

Should be a lot more reasonable, right?

Let's say I'm sticking to single screen gaming at the moment - will a single 770 be ok for now, or should I simply go for the 780?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    SSD: Intel 335 Series, 180 GB
    I'd still go with t he Caviar Blue. The black gives no real benefit (with an SSD present), but additional cost.
    I'd also go with a Samsung 840 256gb, over the Intel. Same cost, and an extra 70gb.