15+ Year Old Account

Coming back for expac... question, DK and Pally okay for tanking?

Hey folks, haven't played since about a month after Pandaria released, needed a break and the Panda theme just wasn't my thing. Of course, after having payed since release, I'll always keep up with what is going on. Siege of Ogrimmar is going on and it has tempted me to come back. I'm actually excited.

Here is my question; during my Cataclysm play time, which wasn't very much, I focused on my DK and Pally, both tanks. I have no desire to play a monk at all, going to continue with either my DK or Pally. Any suggestions? I guess I could just level both, but not sure how much time I'll have. I'm not asking which is the more powerful class, I just want to make sure I'm not picking up the weakest tank. Actually, if the answer, is "both are fine", then I'll just go with my DK since he was my first tank. I only like the Pally lore wise, always been a magical-knight kind of guy.

Thanks.

**EDIT:
    I hope this doesn't get deleted for asking which class to play. Really just asking if both look to be viable for 5.4. I didn't think about it till after I posted and since i'm at work, dont' want to get caught asking lol. Ok, good day.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Paladin will always be the best tank in terms of survivability and picking up mobs.

DK.... I haven't really seen much out of them in MoP.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I main a DK tank in a progression guild, I also have a paladin alt which I keep geared and my co-tank is a paladin.

Play paladin. Don't bother with DK.

DK is "fine" and we can tank almost everything (shut up ra-den) but paladin is simply better at everything. Think of it as DK being a second hard car and paladin is a Lamborghini.

It depends on what you want to do. IE tank heroic raids or regular raids. If regular raids both are fine. Heroic raids more and more DK's are mixed with Pally/Monk. I would say pick the class you are most comfortable with as well as you like playing. If your a good player chances are you can overcome the class deficit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazeyCaleb View Post
    It depends on what you want to do. IE tank heroic raids or regular raids. If regular raids both are fine. Heroic raids more and more DK's are mixed with Pally/Monk. I would say pick the class you are most comfortable with as well as you like playing. If your a good player chances are you can overcome the class deficit.
    Yeah, one reason I loved my DK back when it wasn't doing well, ie ToC time frame. I know it got better, and before ToC it was really good. But during that time, I enjoyed shutting people up. ANyways, yeah, I'll stick with my first tanking love the DK. Keep my Pally on alt status for later.
    my SWTOR referal link:

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaktor View Post
    I main a DK tank in a progression guild, I also have a paladin alt which I keep geared and my co-tank is a paladin.

Play paladin. Don't bother with DK.

DK is "fine" and we can tank almost everything (shut up ra-den) but paladin is simply better at everything. Think of it as DK being a second hard car and paladin is a Lamborghini.
    That's the crux of the issue. There's no tank spec right now that it outright bad. The problem is Paladin is just SO good because of their AoE and Self Healing that it makes them the only real choice.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    That's the crux of the issue. There's no tank spec right now that it outright bad. The problem is Paladin is just SO good because of their AoE and Self Healing that it makes them the only real choice.
    Not complaining, but Pally's were tank choice back during ToC and I know during Cata, still the same? jeebus
    my SWTOR referal link: