View Poll Results: Would you Support an HD Texture Pack Upgrade for WoW?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totally, I'd like to see HD support

184 71.88%
  • Nah, I prefer the simplified textures we have now.

72 28.13%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    I am Murloc! Valyrian Stormclaw's Avatar
    World's End Tavern, listening to the ETC.

Do You Want a WoW HD Texture Pack?

Suppose your the proud owner of a super powerful computer, and you really like to play World of Warcraft, would you like to see the devs develop an HD texture pack so that you could enjoy nicer graphics? Doesn't have to be anything major as in art redesign - this isn't about make the game look more realistic, it's about making it more detailed. So...if the devs could, would you show your support for that? Also, this wouldn't be forced upon anyone, it'd be an optional download.

Note: Textures would bring the game's textures to 2k resolution. Would affect all content.
    Last edited by Valyrian Stormclaw; 2013-09-21 at 12:16 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral Master Jinora's Avatar
    Now, by HD Texture pack, do you mean Old-World being made nicer looking, or Pandaria as well?

If you mean old world, nicer textures aren't that hard to do. In fact, it can be done yourself with making your own addon's if you know what you're doing.
    "Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind."
    — Zaheer

Sure, although I'd prefer a completely new engine + HD support.

Bloodsail Admiral Master Jinora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Sure, although I'd prefer a completely new engine + HD support.
    If you scrapped WoW's engine, that'd be making WoW 2. You don't just make a 'completely new engine' without making an entirely new game.
    "Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind."
    — Zaheer

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If you scrapped WoW's engine, that'd be making WoW 2. You don't just make a 'completely new engine' without making an entirely new game.
    Not necessarily, but I'd also be fine with a WoW 2. You have games coming out now that run better w/better quality graphics and the game is nearly a decade old at this point, I'd say it's time for an overhaul.

Not really, I prefer being able to actually run the game smoothly. Besides, I think the current graphics have a certain charm to them.

Sooner or later Blizz will be made into making new engine to WoW because game getting old, and instead better graphic we getting fps drop every patch - soon to even play 25man you will need highend PC, but if you would back to vanilla - if you can remember - you were able to play 40man on not so good PC (my radeon 9200 handle it if I remember correctly).

A bit offtop here - I wonder if Blizz will overhaul Silvermoon where we still can see monuments of Kael'thas there and Green power crystals which don't fit lore at all atm.

Hmm, I'd much rather the game was just given an overhaul instead of needing some sort of addon to do it.

What would be really good is if they ever did update the game's old engine, lowering your settings would revert it to old graphics as opposed to using the new ones if the computer can't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
    Hmm, I'd much rather the game was just given an overhaul instead of needing some sort of addon to do it.

What would be really good is if they ever did update the game's old engine, lowering your settings would revert it to old graphics as opposed to using the new ones if the computer can't handle it.
    That would please many players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    So, should Horde players be mad that Liadrin is a "traitor" for helping the Draenei? Oh wait, I forgot they aren't cry babies like Alliance players.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    And going out of your way to bitch about the bitching before it even happens puts you above them, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpath View Post
    /popcorn...

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a whole new engine here in the next couple years. If they do, WoW would easily be good for another 10 years.
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Well let's look at Garrosh's new model. Look at that, the Pandaren and all the new content design. Put all that and try and imagine the rest of the game. Yeah I bet things will look pretty good looking.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

No I prefer shitty graphics... What kinda question is that?

Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    No I prefer shitty graphics... What kinda question is that?
    I have to agree with this. There severs would never handle it but. There is a reason mmos don't use super good graphics. Even elder scroll online had to real them back from the skyrim engine.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

I want one, BUT Blizzard is not gonna make one, they rather spend those manhours on Titan
    I put the laughter in manslaughter
    Blood DK problems: to many ppl at daily place, cant pull 8packs *cries*
    BF3>CoD Cola>Pepsi PC>Mac Xbox>PS3

HD is just a marketing name coined to stand for high screen resolutions such as 1920x1080, so WoW is already HD. Compared to many "HD" console games WoW is in a different league of "HD", and also has much higher resolution textures than any console game. If you mean would I like more modern high quality graphics, then yes but that would require a new game engine, which is not going to happen.

There is a lot more to high quality modern graphics than textures.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-09-21 at 01:59 AM.
    I7 2600k @4.5ghz : 16GB DDR3 : GTX670 : Firestudio : Naga : G27

I think there should be an option 'I don't care'.
    YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    WoW was always pretty much He-Man regarding the story and the characters.

I don't think there would be much to gain from 2K size textures given the stylized nature of them. There's really not a lot of fine detail that needs such a resolution to shine. After 1K you'll run into serious diminishing returns, perhaps even 512 for some textures.

I would definitely be curious, sure why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if we see a whole new engine here in the next couple years. If they do, WoW would easily be good for another 10 years.
    It wouldn't surprise me either. I'm probably 100% wrong on this but the technical guys at Blizzard don't appear to be dummies. And if they were developing a new engine for Titan and didn't leave some hooks in it that WoW could use I might have to revise that opinion. If I were Morhaime and as a company Blizzard was going to go about the business of developing a brand-new engine to run an MMO on, I'd want WoW to be able to hook into it. Not that that would be any simple thing but the development of the engine itself and associated back-end functionality should be something that's usable elsewhere other than Titan.

That said, the stylized look of the game has worn well and ramping it up to some version of realism would probably look worse than people think. I really wish they'd fix trees though. That would do so much.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

Blizzard doesn't have Exxon money and because of that (and a plethora of other reasons) will not now, nor ever, upgrade graphics the way you want.
    Game quality =/= graphics quality. Unless you prefer to have all of the content we have now and absolutely 0 advancement to ever happen in the game, you don't really want wildly upgraded graphics. Realism in video games like this kill video games like this. Look at Rift, they tried realism and it failed. Big time. Why? Because of what I already said: game quality =/= graphics quality.

Azeroth isn't real life. Get a grip. Stop trying to make it so.