Question about dual channels

Basically im in the preparation of building a computer. The person wants 32 Gb of ram (I know...) but to do it i need to get a mobo with 4 slots of 8 gb. Will it do 2x a dual channel? Whats the difference between 2x dual channels and a quad channel for exemple?
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the motherboard actually supprot quad channel? 4 slots doesnt necessarily mean its quad channel.

What are they doing exactly that needs 32gb of ram? MOST applications do not get a huge benefit from more channels. Some do, however. Back in the day when Dual Channel became a 'thing' it actually made a noticable difference. Nowadays people resort to dual channel simply because it's -usually- cheaper, and if its not, you're looking at a 1-2% performance increase for no cost, or maybe a dollar or two.

Sort of on the outset, 2 sticks of ram means you can still use your system if one dies. One stick of ram = dead system until it can be replaced.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Does the motherboard actually supprot quad channel? 4 slots doesnt necessarily mean its quad channel.

What are they doing exactly that needs 32gb of ram? MOST applications do not get a huge benefit from more channels. Some do, however. Back in the day when Dual Channel became a 'thing' it actually made a noticable difference. Nowadays people resort to dual channel simply because it's -usually- cheaper, and if its not, you're looking at a 1-2% performance increase for no cost, or maybe a dollar or two.

Sort of on the outset, 2 sticks of ram means you can still use your system if one dies. One stick of ram = dead system until it can be replaced.
    I don't think the mobo supports it, I just want to know the difference between those 2, (quad and dual) so I can do a better choice
    And if a put 4 dimms, will it do 2x dual channels?

Actually its for the dad of a friend who use laboratories programs (I don't know exactly what they are but it tells me that it does some kind of calculation and he let it run for few hours per day)
    My first build:
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Quad Channel is only Socket 2011. If his dad is indeed doing lab calculations with it, it may actually come in useful. Also, go with 7 cas latency memory as well.

What is the budget for this system? And will it just be lab work, or also gaming?
    Last edited by stellvia; 2013-07-01 at 02:11 AM.

He's actually doing is work n a cheap laptop, so I don't think he will need a LGA 2011 CPU, (those cost a lot lol)

Why Cas 7? I was actually looking at 9, but if 7 is better... (by a nice margin)
    My first build:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Why Cas 7? I was actually looking at 9, but if 7 is better... (by a nice margin)
    It's not. CAS Latency is more or less unimportant these days. Back in the day of slower speeds... CAS 2 vs CAS 3 made a difference. Now? Nothing, on almost every aspect. CAS 7 is nearly the same as CAS 11.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

To answer your original question, 4x 8GB on a dual channel board is dual channel. It means the (likely) 4 slots are paired into two channels (two slots on each). With 2 sticks, you have one on each channel. With 4, you have two sticks on each channel. It won't be dual channel x2, that's basically just another way of saying quad channel.
    Last edited by Zelph; 2013-07-01 at 02:18 AM.

It's not. CAS Latency is more or less unimportant these days. Back in the day of slower speeds... CAS 2 vs CAS 3 made a difference. Now? Nothing, on almost every aspect. CAS 7 is nearly the same as CAS 11.
    Okay that's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelph View Post
    To answer your original question, 4x 8GB on a dual channel board is dual channel. It means the (likely) 4 slots are paired into two channels (two slots on each). With 2 sticks, you have one on each channel. With 4, you have two sticks on each channel. It won't be dual channel x2, that's basically just another way of saying quad channel.
    Okay, thanks!

So I just pick ram with cas 9, with 1600mhz (for a i7-4770), of 8 gb? Any recommandation?
    My first build:

10+ Year Old Account
    So I just pick ram with cas 9, with 1600mhz (for a i7-4770), of 8 gb? Any recommandation?
    Just get the cheapest DDR3-1600, 8gb x4, that physically fits (not sure if you need low profile or not). They're really all the same these days.

Just get the cheapest DDR3-1600, 8gb x4, that physically fits (not sure if you need low profile or not). They're really all the same these days.
    okay, that's what I was heading too

I won't take low profile and only 2x 8 gb, so if it don't fit I still can move the ram, and if I see he needs more i'll upgrade (if possible)
    My first build: