How to change GPUs?

I’m hoping I may be able to get a little guidance here on how to switch out my 1 GPU for 2 in CF. My first build:

CPU: Intel 3770K @ 4.4 ghz
    Mobo: ASUS?P8Z77-V
    GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti Superclocked
    PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX850W
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case

If any other info is needed, please let me know.

Uses:
    WoW 25 man raiding (looking for 40 fps min, I know 60 is a stretch)
    Bluray movies
    Video recording / editing / streaming

I made the mistake of buying a Nvidia GPU and a mobo that is CF ready, but not SLI. I really want to get a 2560 x 1440 monitor, but I’ve been told that the 660TI I have won’t quite cut it.

I want to change out my 1 660TI with 2 7970’s in CF, but I’m not sure how to actually go about changing it over. Should I uninstall the Nvidia drivers and software first, then install the new ones? Will the mobo recognize that I have 2 cards in CF and do the setup for me, or do I need to do that myself? If I need to do that myself, how and where do I go about doing it?

I know that cards in SLI need a “bridge” that comes with the mobo, but do CF cards need one as well? I’ll have to look in the box that the mobo came in, but I’m pretty sure I don’t have a bridge hanging around. Is that something that can be purchased after the fact?

Lastly, any brand / model recommendations?

Sorry about the unending slew of questions. Any help that could be provided would be awesome!!

That mobo is sli ready to begin with, I'm actually hard pressed to think of a mobo that doesn't allow both sli and crossfire.

Anyway, you're right the 660ti will struggle with 1440p but the 7970 will be fine I believe and it's just a matter of deleting the nvidia drivers (to be safe) and installing the amd ones. From there it'll detect the two cards and whatever program amd use will do it from there.

Crossfire also requires a bridge that uses a diff pin set up than the sli bridge. They're pretty easy to find online, should only cost $5-$10.

Sorry, I didn't like the whole model #. My mobo is the LX model, not the "pro". It's not SLI ready =(

ASUS P8Z77-V LX

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=2406888

You'll gain zero fps in 25man raiding by swapping the graphics card, it's almost certain you're CPU capped. What speed/settings you're running now? Also there's pretty much zero benefit for video streaming or editing either.

Personally I would start from buying the monitor and then look into getting new graphics card if you still feel like it. Since WoW is what you're playing the most I'd just get GTX770 or 780 instead of two AMD cards because crossfire and WoW is a combo that will only cause you grief.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    From experience, a single 7970 is more than enough for wow.
    I can even run BF3 at ultra (minus some AA settings, you dont need them as much as on 1080p), and other games at high/ultra settings.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    From experience, a single 7970 is more than enough for wow.
    I can even run BF3 at ultra (minus some AA settings, you dont need them as much as on 1080p), and other games at high/ultra settings.
    Well OP said he/shes getting 1440p monitor, so i doubt single 7970 will run BF3 very high fps with high/ultra settings at 1440p.

Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    Well OP said he/shes getting 1440p monitor, so i doubt single 7970 will run BF3 very high fps with high/ultra settings at 1440p.
    This is pretty much it...

I know WoW is CPU bound, but moving to a 1440P monitor is still going to be too much for my current 660TI, and if I'm going to replace it, I would rather replace it with an AMD card given my mobo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crossfire 7970 will give you bad time in WoW.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/22.html
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    Like I said, from experience....

I have a 2713HM and a 7970, and I can play BF3 on ultra settings minus some AA settings, because you dont need that as much as you do on 1080p. Im not saying im at a constant 60 fps, I probably arent. But it sure is smooth enough, so id say its atleast 40+ fps (and thats also on 64p maps, with all kind of stuff going on).

Every game I have thrown at it, I have played on high/ultra settings. This list doesnt include crysis 3/metro, for those you probably need SLI/crossfire in order to play on ultra at 1440p.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    I know WoW is CPU bound, but moving to a 1440P monitor is still going to be too much for my current 660TI, and if I'm going to replace it, I would rather replace it with an AMD card given my mobo.
    You really do not want to use two AMD cards with WoW. Or with anything on single monitor at least until they sort out the frame timing shit. Where Crossfire works best is multiple monitors.

Having low end motherboard is bad reason to lock you into problems, rather get one high end Nvidia card first, and if it's not enough, then get 2nd card for SLI and new mobo at the same time.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-07-01 at 05:50 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    You really do not want to use two AMD cards with WoW. Or with anything on single monitor at least until they sort out the frame timing shit. Where Crossfire works best is multiple monitors.

Having low end motherboard is bad reason to lock you into problems, rather get one high end Nvidia card first, and if it's not enough, then get 2nd card for SLI and new mobo at the same time.
    This is a good tip. Maybe I go get a 3Gb GTX 780 and call it a day. Probably the same price as 7970's in Xfire.