10+ Year Old Account

Looking for programming assistance

Hello, I used to play wow for many years, and quit a year or so ago. I have long since stopped raiding and I go to school. But if figure where else can I find a good source of computer lovers, wow forums.

I'm in the middle of a java course that is online, and up till now I've been able to teach myself pretty much everything at least to get the programs to run that I have. Its all done on TextPad, and its pretty simple program/scripts for beginners like myself.

I seem to not be able to figure out where the fault is of my own when I compile something it has no error but its not technically running correctly. And what I can gather this method isn't being called/returned properly but I'm too novice to quite understand.

Anywho, if anyone is up to it and had some few minutes to check stuff out for me I'd gladly compensate you something for your assistance. Id like to keep learning to get thru all these programming based classes I have that go parallel with my main program. I can send you what I have made and see what feedback you have to offer or adjustments to get it running would be amazingly appreciated. (its only for a few more weeks)

Thanks and best wishes,
    Last edited by vylinn; 2013-07-01 at 11:22 PM.

There are a few different ways to debug your program. You could set up assertions and then run it in debug mode. You can also dump the contents of your variables to screen each time, say, a loop iterates (This can take up space quick, try using "java <program> | more" if you are in linux). Without specific examples of code, we can't really offer specific advice on how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by vylinn View Post
    I seem to not be able to figure out where the fault is of my own when I compile something it has no error but its not technically running correctly. And what I can gather this method isn't being called/returned properly but I'm too novice to quite understand.

Anywho, if anyone is up to it and had some few minutes to check stuff out for me I'd gladly compensate you something for your assistance. Id like to keep learning to get thru all these programming based classes I have that go parallel with my main program. I can send you what I have made and see what feedback you have to offer or adjustments to get it running would be amazingly appreciated. (its only for a few more weeks)

Thanks and best wishes,
    If you stick it in
    [ code ]
    - code here-
    [/ code ]

tags here we can take a look at it (without the spaces between the braces).
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    The first thing I'd suggest is to not use Textpad, but get an IDE, like Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/). eclipse is a free Java development tool which has all the tools you'll need to write java code, including building and debugging. from what I see, Textpad doesn't support debugging.

especially debugging is really useful. it allows you to basically go through your code one line at a time and see what's inside a variable, what functions are being called and what exceptions are thrown. trying to code without being able to debug is like trying to assemble an IKEA desk without a manual. it's possible, but you're going to have to do a lot of trial and error.

so really, get Eclipse. It's free and will help you much more than any coding help we can give you.

Please use our programming megathread. Closing this one.