Poll: Do you think this officer's actions were justified?

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    hmm the dog did charge the officers so I gotta say it was justified, I mean it was a huge dog, should the officer let the dog bite him? the officer could have fired a warning shot tho I guess

Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    and an officer is only supposed to use his gun in a life or death situation. Was the officers life in jeopardy of losing his life to an agitated dog? Didn't think so.

Also going by your second response about putting your hand slowly towards a dog....did you not read what you wrote? SLOWLY towards a dog to impose that you are no threat. The officer did NOT put his hand out slowly he lunged out to grab the collar or leash. The dog doesn't know what the police officer was planning to do. You also must have not watched the video because RIGHT before the officer shot the fucking dog the dog became submissive. Had this dog been a corgi, dockson, jack russell do you think the officer would have taken the same approach?

I would agree with your points about using the right method if it was one shot. Four shots is not defending yourself. The dog would have had a fighting chance of surviving had it only been one shot. Four shots is taking advantage of your authority. And just because a dog is aggressive does not mean it will attack. The officers weren't being attacked. Watch the video again and actually post something when you know anything about dog behavior.
    It doesn't have to be a life or death situation to use a gun.

We apparently have different opinions on what is considered a lunge. I don't think the officer went after the collar as fast as he could have.

Had this been a jack russell, no I do not believe he would have handled it the same as I don't think he would have been afraid. A 90-130 lbs rot (depending on reports) is different.

And if you would agree it was the right method if it was one shot, then you agree. Police aren't trained to shoot once. It's the same if a person with a knife charged at an officer. They wouldn't shoot him once, and hope he stops.

I agree that just because a dog is aggressive does not mean it will attack. It also doesn't mean it will not. Thank you for confirming that. I'm so glad you're willing to armchair criticize an incident after the fact when it isn't your body on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    It doesn't have to be a life or death situation to use a gun.

We apparently have different opinions on what is considered a lunge. I don't think the officer went after the collar as fast as he could have.

Had this been a jack russell, no I do not believe he would have handled it the same as I don't think he would have been afraid. A 90-130 lbs rot (depending on reports) is different.

And if you would agree it was the right method if it was one shot, then you agree. Police aren't trained to shoot once. It's the same if a person with a knife charged at an officer. They wouldn't shoot him once, and hope he stops.

I agree that just because a dog is aggressive does not mean it will attack. It also doesn't mean it will not. Thank you for confirming that. I'm so glad you're willing to armchair criticize an incident after the fact when it isn't your body on the line.
    A dog that is not trained to attack typically won't attack. I have a Lab that is more aggressive than that rottweiler was. However He doesn't bite, he protects. Exactly what that dog was doing.

My body has been on the line with police trained dogs. The first thing they say is dont make sudden moves. How is it that they don't train police officers the same way. As a dog trainer I NEED to know how to handle a charging dog without a tazer, baton, or gun. So again how am I able to do it with german shepards that are trained to kill but this cop isnt with a rottweiler being aggressive.
    Last edited by valliant13; 2013-07-09 at 08:16 PM.

A dog that is not trained to attack typically won't attack. I have a Lab that is more aggressive than that rottweiler was. However He doesn't bite, he protects. Exactly what that dog was doing.

My body has been on the line with police trained dogs. The first thing they say is dont make sudden moves. How is it that they don't train police officers the same way. As a dog trainer I NEED to know how to handle a charging dog without a tazer, baton, or gun. So again how am I able to do it with german shepards that are trained to kill but this cop isnt with a rottweiler being aggressive.
    Maybe because your job is a dog trainer, and not a police officer?

There is only so much training you can give to an officer. There are countless situations you could potentially train them for.

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    Maybe because your job is a dog trainer, and not a police officer?

There is only so much training you can give to an officer. There are countless situations you could potentially train them for.
    One of my replies quoted someone who had a video of a police officer not using his gun to take care of a dog that was ACTUALLY attacking him though. So how does one officer keep cool while actually being attacked versus the one in the OP being a complete dickwad taking advantage of his position?

One of my replies quoted someone who had a video of a police officer not using his gun to take care of a dog that was ACTUALLY attacking him though. So how does one officer keep cool while actually being attacked versus the one in the OP being a complete dickwad taking advantage of his position?
    People handle anxiety and stress in remarkably different ways?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    People handle anxiety and stress in remarkably different ways?
    Right, but the shooting the dog wasnt needed. A warning shot at the ground or the air would have scared the shit out of the dog and it would of ran away from that. The cop that shot the dog is a complete fucking moron and quite a bit trigger happy. If this happened to a "non aggressive" breed most of you would probably be more pissed off than you are. Hell the cop probably wouldnt have shot and killed the dog if it was a lab or golden retriever which are just as big as some rottweilers and as aggressive or more than the one in the video. But since it's a rottweiler and "attacking" the officer it's ok. Fuck that the officer provoked the "attack" by lunging at the dog for its collar or leash, what do you expect the dog just to be ok with a stranger to grab him.

Anyways they are supposed to keep their cool in the most stressful situations and this cop obviously couldnt which I will say I hope the guy wins his lawsuit as it never had to come down to killing the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Remake View Post
    Pepper spray scares BEARS away. I think a rottweiler would back off aswell.
    It's a bit late but I haven't really been on much lately...

Bear mace scares bears away, pepper spray does not. Pepper spray will more than likely anger the dog. I work with a lot of cops in my job, they wouldn't suggest pepper spraying anything that is attacking you/attempting to kill you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Illegal immigration is not a crime.
    Oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    This. You people have to stop thinking that just because someone wears a badge, they are doing the right thing.

It's not a crime to be a douche, and the police officers were being douches first. A guy walking his dog isn't a threat, nor is it an obstruction of justice.
    If you actually read up on what was happening you'd realise that the guy was being a huge dick to not only the police, but the poor hostages that were being held captive. The Police told the guy to turn off his insanely loud music becuase there was a serious life/death situation going on. The guy proceeds to tell them it's his fing car and he can do what he wants. Cops rightly charge him with obstruction for being the biggest dick wad in the area for risking the lives of officers and the hostages.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Absolutely fucking disgusting.

- - - Updated - - -

Good. That's the absolute least that should have happened in this situation.
    Are you fucking kidding?, the dog was aggressive, he neutralised it by shooting it, then it is A-OK for other people to want to kill another human being?, being threatened on your life, no matter the circumstances, are never something that should be accepted.