Thread: Summers slums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Welcome to my personal hell. Except our attendance started to suck ass back in Spring. 3/12 heroic tot and we get maybe 5 heroic boss pulls a week because of shit attendance. I feel your pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkidy View Post
    I think this is actually really interesting - I went on holiday for two weeks earlier in the year, and about half way in I realised I didn't miss playing at all, and cancelled my sub for a month. It's a curious phenomenon, and it looks as if this has happened to your guildmates too. Has this happened to anyone else? Really interested to know, to see how widespread this is. Not just the summer slums, people taking holidays in which they're forced to stop playing WoW, and seeing how quickly the desire to play disappears when going cold turkey.
    I've had people do that and I'll just say this... TELL YOUR GUILD. It's just fucking rude to up and disappear. Hey, if you don't want to play anymore, that's OK. But tell them so they know you're never coming back (or at least don't plan to) and can replace you with a clear conscience
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-07-05 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I've had people do that and I'll just say this... TELL YOUR GUILD. It's just fucking rude to up and disappear. Hey, if you don't want to play anymore, that's OK. But tell them so they know you're never coming back (or at least don't plan to) and can replace you with a clear conscience
    While this wasn't necessarily directed at me personally, I wasn't raiding at the time. I ALWAYS tell people if there's even a chance I won't make it to a raid night. It drives me up the wall to see 15 signups for a 10 man raid, and then find 6 people on at raid start time. I even downloaded the mobile ap so I could tell someone if I was going to be late.

But my point was that I think some people don't even realise that they no longer enjoy playing. They only notice when they stop playing, and expect to feel the desire to log on, only to find it missing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkidy View Post
    While this wasn't necessarily directed at me personally, I wasn't raiding at the time. I ALWAYS tell people if there's even a chance I won't make it to a raid night. It drives me up the wall to see 15 signups for a 10 man raid, and then find 6 people on at raid start time. I even downloaded the mobile ap so I could tell someone if I was going to be late.

But my point was that I think some people don't even realise that they no longer enjoy playing. They only notice when they stop playing, and expect to feel the desire to log on, only to find it missing.
    Yeah, I didn't mean you personally... thanks for taking it in that spirit. And I agree, people can get in the habit of playing and not really think about whether they're having fun.

My guild's just recently been burned a lot by people who were 'taking 2 weeks off' and never logged in again. As I said, if someone doesn't want to play or takes vacation and then wants a longer break, that's fine. Just tell people if you're a raider so that they know you won't be back (or wont be back for the summer or whatever) and can recruit a replacement. We lost recruiting time because people said they'd be returning and then didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    always over-recruit
    never stop recruiting
    our 2 month old 25 man team has ~ 35 members and we're still recruiting.
    as a 10man guild, we couldn't even keep 10 members and we were #1/2 on our very populated server.

Wish we still had content to progress on, clearing farm 1 day out of the week and doing NOTHING the rest of the week sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    always over-recruit
    never stop recruiting
    our 2 month old 25 man team has ~ 35 members and we're still recruiting.
    Don't do this. It may work for a month or two but it will end up destroying your guild. No one will have any loyalty to your guild, people will leave because they don't have a raid spot. And people will expect to have a raid spot and if ever sat they will end up leaving because of it.

Find about 30-33 GOOD members. That's it.

I would say that this situation tends to happen more with younger players in their teens, try recruiting more young adults who have jobs or are going to school (even in the summer).

10+ Year Old Account
    It also happens because it's nice out. People go hang with friends outside, ride bikes, play sports, go hiking, etc. If you have kids in school, you take vacation in the summer because that's when they have time off. If you don't, you still often take vacations in summer and go places.