Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    Well don't you like to take the fun out of things

And how would a proofreader catch that? "1967" isn't a typo. It's the wrong number. A wrong number that is obvious when you say something like "Seward's Folly was back in 1867", which, by the way, is a fact. If you check that fact against the "typo", I would consider it fact checking, not proofreading. A proofreader would have read over it and not realized anything, because it is neither spelled wrong, nor grammatically incorrect.
    Meh, people just putting their journalism degrees to good use ZING!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

The positive is that there is still hope for the fishing industry. If heavy regulation didn't come into play it would have meant there were not a chance a 200 year old fish would have been caught.

Despite what the OP may think it's a VERY positive sign in this day and age.

Ancient rockfish caught in Alaska: Why nobody threw it back
    http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...,3780325.story

For those wondering why the fisherman Henry Liebman did not throw the ancient fish back into the sea immediately after catching it, the answer is that the fish was almost certainly dead by the time he reeled it in.

"When a rockfish caught in 900 feet of water is brought to the surface it usually dies," said Julie Speegle, a spokeswoman for NOAA's Alaska region, in an interview with the L.A. Times.

Rockfish have a gas filled organ called a swim bladder that helps them control their buoancy. When they are brought up to the surface, the gas in the bladder expands and can cause it to burst which can kill the fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    Ancient rockfish caught in Alaska: Why nobody threw it back
    http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...,3780325.story

For those wondering why the fisherman Henry Liebman did not throw the ancient fish back into the sea immediately after catching it, the answer is that the fish was almost certainly dead by the time he reeled it in.

"When a rockfish caught in 900 feet of water is brought to the surface it usually dies," said Julie Speegle, a spokeswoman for NOAA's Alaska region, in an interview with the L.A. Times.

Rockfish have a gas filled organ called a swim bladder that helps them control their buoancy. When they are brought up to the surface, the gas in the bladder expands and can cause it to burst which can kill the fish.
    You can't win you dirty hippies! We have science on our side!!!

Fish killers: 1
    Hippies: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Catch, release. He knew it was abnormally large when he first got it, which is why he checked it out and got this publicity.
    Waah.

It's still a fucking fish. If he didn't catch it we wouldn't even have known it existed in the first place. Better to be an object of information for us than to be a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Godric View Post
    Compassion is compassion. If you want to try and make the argument that humans have more right than animals to live on this planet then go ahead. Just don't be surprised when others tell you that you're full of shit.
    The fact that you could even consider that idea is proof itself.

Deleted
    The fish was probably all like "could you be the one to finally finish me"
    Jesus christ so what if he caught it, it's not like we would know there was a 200-year-old fish if he didn't catch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Waah.
    I couldn't stop laughing when I saw your avatar to that.

This thread was an interresting read but to be honest, it is a fish - and if it was not caught we wouldn't have known it existed. How many fish of that age have died naturally? We don't have a clue and we shouldn't make such a fuss over it. Science is science and science can be a tabu subject for a lot of people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    Why does old age instantly = bigger size? Couldnt it just be a big fish?
    Many, many animals don't grow in the same way we humans do, especially egg laying creatures.

It's not like he had any idea of what he was pulling up and it would have been dead by the time he realized what it was. This fish lived a long lifetime reproducing. Better an old one than a new one that still has a lot of reproducing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    When a rockfish surfaces, it's already dead.
    There's no way he would have known.
    This. I mean it's sad he's not gonna eat it, but it's not like he was acting out of malice.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a fucking fish why is anyone outraged by this is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    The positive is that there is still hope for the fishing industry. If heavy regulation didn't come into play it would have meant there were not a chance a 200 year old fish would have been caught.

Despite what the OP may think it's a VERY positive sign in this day and age.
    This also. If you look at pictures of fishing going back over the last 100 years, you will notice a significant decrease in the size and age of fish, because human consumption of them has increased so drastically. The fact that there are still ancient fish like this swimming around means that despite our overfishing, some species are still trucking along. Not that our overfishing isn't bad of course, but it's still a good sign for ocean life.

It's suggested that some kinds of sea fish are essentially immortal. That provided they are capable of getting food, they are not eaten by predators and so on, that they will essentially just keep living and growing.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

This kind of thing upsets you but you're not upset over the NSA destroying your privacy I would assume. You claim these people are sick or have their priorities wrong but it seems to me yours are wrong. It's all perception, though when you come to the lib kiddie infested internet you will hear what you want to hear.

To heck with the NSA, this catch is a tragedy of global scale.
    Poor fish.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    To heck with the NSA, this catch is a tragedy of global scale.
    Poor fish.
    I'm surprised the cops weren't called in, poor fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I'm surprised the cops weren't called in, poor fish.
    Cause of death: rapid depressureization. I mean look at his eyes people, they popped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Godric View Post
    Compassion is compassion. If you want to try and make the argument that humans have more right than animals to live on this planet then go ahead. Just don't be surprised when others tell you that you're full of shit.
    There is only a fractional tiny percent of the Human population that will or will ever agree with your stance Godric.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhuck View Post
    There is only a fractional tiny percent of the Human population that will or will ever agree with your stance Godric.
    Maybe in America. But a lot of eastern cultures do no subscribe to the idea that humans are top dog.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Maybe in America. But a lot of eastern cultures do no subscribe to the idea that humans are top dog.
    Yeah...even in those cultures, those concepts are just floating in the ether. Even the most devout Buddhist monk will ultimately opt to save the single Toddler from the steam roller instead of the basket full of a dozen rats.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Fishes can live that long?
    Not anymore, who knows how long this thing could have lived to be.