1. #1

    Tortos Heroic 10M

    Good evening everyone.

    We have been working on Tortos Heroic, kite method with a Brewmaster monk. Here is a link to the parse for last night: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-i7b25chjlunwj3i3/

    Closest we got was pull #14 at 7%, when our mage missed a kick and breath went off. He MDs every spawn of bats to our monk.

    Could someone who is more knowledgeable than I about hunters check his dps and give a general idea of how well he is doing? I feel as if he should be doing more (considering the high % of dps he gets from the bats. He isn't cheesing them - only doing the MD), but that's a gut feeling and I'd like numbers to back that up. I have had issues finding a kite parse to compare him to.

  2. #2
    The Patient Grogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    212
    From my quick gander he just isn't single targeting enough to get the amount of DPS out on the boss. For example in try 9 he got a total of 90 Explosive Shot ticks out (That is 30 Explosive Shots?) in 5:44, that's an average of 11.5s between each Explosive Shot. Seem as it has both a 6 second cooldown and a load of Lock n Load procs this is pretty awful, just tell him to focus more on Single targeting the Turtles/Boss and only ever multi-shot the bats once as he MD's each pack.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogar View Post
    From my quick gander he just isn't single targeting enough to get the amount of DPS out on the boss. For example in try 9 he got a total of 90 Explosive Shot ticks out (That is 30 Explosive Shots?) in 5:44, that's an average of 11.5s between each Explosive Shot. Seem as it has both a 6 second cooldown and a load of Lock n Load procs this is pretty awful, just tell him to focus more on Single targeting the Turtles/Boss and only ever multi-shot the bats once as he MD's each pack.
    I'm just going to comment as I see stuff.

    Yeah, he really isn't using explosive shot as he can.

    He got 57 ticks on AMoC... That means he used it twice (and somehow lost 3 ticks). It is a 2 minute CD. It should've been used twice at the start from readiness (after the first has expired obviously) then another at ~2:30 and then another at ~4:30 and then I'm not sure what it would look like after that in the fight. If he can't use AMoC it would just be better to spec into blink strikes.

    He has a ton of immune shots. He needs to be aware that the turtles go immune when they get low and to not put his black arrow on them and to target away from them when they get stationary.

    He can use glaive toss way more too.

    He's using ToTH. I prefer fervor for whenever I'm using AMoC.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

  4. #4
    TBH, for MDing the bats it should be enough with a MD+Barrage and being faced in the direction which the new bats comes from, and that should give the tank enough aggro over the healers and as soon as they are on the ground the barrel throw will keep the bats on him. No need for any multi-shot at all.

  5. #5
    I would be more concerned about your shaman

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylf View Post
    I would be more concerned about your shaman
    Shaman is a healer who is going dps for this fight. She is working on getting better.

  7. #7
    For a guild that is only progressing on tortos that hunter is doing fine.

  8. #8
    I'm the MD monkey for my group, too, using the same strat you guys do.

    Barrage is excellent for hitting all the bats, and what I do is macro Black Arrow and Crows to always target Tortos himself. They're totally wasted on turtles.

    Kill log

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirain45 View Post
    For a guild that is only progressing on tortos that hunter is doing fine.
    Not if he is supposed to only MD and then shoot the boss.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Not if he is supposed to only MD and then shoot the boss.
    If you take into account that its 10 man so they are missing somethings (buffs, banners, stormlash, etc) and then his gear probably isnt full heroic then ya his dps is probably ok.

    Edit: Just checked out his gear and ya his dps is fine, that ele shaman on the other hand lol.
    Last edited by Tirain45; 2013-07-05 at 11:35 AM.

  11. #11
    In 10man you wont have full time on boss. Ranges are supposed to dps turtles, which require a lot of target switching.

    If you take into account that you cannot use target macro for bats (since there are plenty alive), he has to look up into the sky trying to target bats while avoiding crap falling on the ground and whirling turtles, he is not dpsing full time.

    MDing bats is more annoying than some ppl think and it hurts dps a lot.

    Hunter is doing very good. Rogue is padding meters with attacking bats (which he shouldnt do).
    Ele Shaman is terrible (I didnt bother to check his gear but nevertheless he is terrible).
    Warlock is doing medicore at best (this depends if he is wasting his shards to cast aoe slow, but I would vote for affli for that fight if you are kiting bats).
    Mage is bad, same goes for DK. Boss has 42% uptime on shell conc debuff. This is 50% more dps to boss during this time.

    On this fight I would be more concerned about this:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...survivability/
    Breaths? Quake Stomps? Rockfall? These things cannot kill your raid. Its not dps issue. Ppl arent paying attention.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by khalamo View Post
    In 10man you wont have full time on boss. Ranges are supposed to dps turtles, which require a lot of target switching.

    If you take into account that you cannot use target macro for bats (since there are plenty alive), he has to look up into the sky trying to target bats while avoiding crap falling on the ground and whirling turtles, he is not dpsing full time.

    MDing bats is more annoying than some ppl think and it hurts dps a lot.
    Yes it is hand I did experience it first hand, but once I realized that you can just use MD on your kite tank, use barrage and aim your self in the direction of where the new bats are arriving, then the kite tank should get enough threat on them unless you're running with a paladin healer using Righteous Fury or a paladin tank. Which makes MDing bats miles easier than it was before.

    But I agree, MDing bats is a fucking pain in the ass now that the bugged glyph doesn't work anymore =/

  13. #13
    I have paladin tank and barrage doesnt always work, sometimes he gets crazy aggro and if they get to him its impossible to take them away.

    I always go SV and multishot. If I ever overaggro (which may happen if you press MD too late), I just pop FD and problem solved

    Comparing Tortos for hunters is just crap. There is so many ways to scumbag dps.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by khalamo View Post
    I have paladin tank and barrage doesnt always work, sometimes he gets crazy aggro and if they get to him its impossible to take them away.

    I always go SV and multishot. If I ever overaggro (which may happen if you press MD too late), I just pop FD and problem solved

    Comparing Tortos for hunters is just crap. There is so many ways to scumbag dps.
    Running with a pally tank, you might as well just solo tank em and let the pally have the bats on him and nuke them down very fast.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by khalamo View Post
    Rogue is padding meters with attacking bats (which he shouldnt do).
    Just want to clear this up, since I happen to be the rogue. The only time I FoK to the bats is when the turtles are coming out. This puts out an aoe slow and the magic damage taken debuff. Not padding.

    Quote Originally Posted by khalamo View Post
    Ele Shaman is terrible (I didnt bother to check his gear but nevertheless he is terrible).
    Addressed above

    Quote Originally Posted by khalamo View Post
    Mage is bad, same goes for DK. Boss has 42% uptime on shell conc debuff. This is 50% more dps to boss during this time.
    Explain please? They are some of the most consistent players.

    Quote Originally Posted by khalamo View Post
    On this fight I would be more concerned about this:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...survivability/
    Breaths? Quake Stomps? Rockfall? These things cannot kill your raid. Its not dps issue. Ppl arent paying attention.
    I know what is killing us. I also want to know how well people are doing for other things while taking that into account.

  16. #16
    My guild also does the monk strat, and I am the MD bot as well. For his gear, your hunter is doing fine--looking back at my first couple kills on H Tortos I was doing about the same amount. Good luck!

    EDIT: Well, a slight addendum, comparing my damage percentiles to his, he could be doing a little more damage on the boss, e.g. on one of my recent kills I was 42% boss/41% turtles/15% bats and your hunter is 41% bats/32.3% turtles/24.3% boss. This is probably partly because my tank often doesn't need my help picking up the bats, but I guess it's something worth keeping an eye on.
    Last edited by HonneurVilified; 2013-07-05 at 08:31 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Running with a pally tank, you might as well just solo tank em and let the pally have the bats on him and nuke them down very fast.
    I agree with this, the vengeance your tank is going to get will put him at huge DPS and HPS numbers. You're healers just have to be sure they're bombing heals on him when the bats are out.

    The hunter is doing ok, its hard to compare to other players when just looking at numbers, as the top parses are probably going to be on the bats/tortos 100% of the time. There are of course the mentioned improvements that can be made. Having to MD the bats is slightly annoying do to the timing of them being slightly above 30s so you're not using barrage/md on CD...but he should be saving the next one for the next set of bats. A macro makes this simple.

    With regards to his damage breakdown, looked like that was just for one fight. All attempts, seems about right. I'm wondering though, if you're kiting all the bats though why anyones DPS should be very high at all on them.
    Whirl Turtle 37.6 %
    Tortos 32.6 %
    Vampiric Cave Bat 25.9 %

    One trick I dont see mentioned here is to use concussive shot for the humming crystals as it has no focus cost.

  18. #18
    We split our DPS on Tortos HC. As a hunter, I go survival (not many of those fights left any more) MD the bats and stay on them until they die. An ele and enh shaman joins me, while a mage/lock/SP are focused purely on turtles. The only time I DPS turtles is if there aren't any bats up.

    Splitting the DPS roles seems to work really well for us on this boss. No one cheeses mechanics, no one is looking at recount, everyone is focused on their one job and we one/two shot this boss every week now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •