Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    1) well Scum was worth the 10£ alone and most classes did get really cool new abilities (still can't get myself to like the electronet tho:/)
    2) the macro together with the achievement gives reason to go visit all those planets again ( the sets/speeder you can get are kinda cool but certainly a BIG grind)
    actually i find makeb dailies horrible but the GSI (seeker/macro) ones really good, becasue you can group up and everyone get's the quest update no matter where on the planet you are, so you gather a team split up and are done in no time (and most or less of a pita than some of the seeker missions too)
    3) just adding on the gearing that i really don't like how hard they made it to get your set bonuses and all the drama that can cause;/
    4) makeb in general get's boring since it's the only zone for 50 to 55 and i really really hate that "convinient" quest flow design where everything falls together and you are done in one go (ye i know i'm strange like that:P) so nowadays i avoid lvling in makeb at all costs (luckily it's not really hard, section x for example gives tons of xp)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    I was in the same boat as you Kitty a few days ago, and tbh i gave in aswell.
    I must say it was / is worth it imo.
    I'm feeling the same way. A large part of it can be credited to me missing that aesthetic and universe, which I get into every time I become invested in an MMO. But it is the same thing I came to expect when playing it the first go round. Makes me wonder how much content like this they have stockpiled as they haven't shown a whole lot of things that I can believe have been created since F2P.

I think in another year this game might be in a very interesting place, though not many people other than extremely dedicated (mostly whales) will be around to experience it. There's really nothing that can overcome that initial bad experience to the general public. If I didn't still talk about the game here, I wouldn't have even been tempted to play again.

Fun so far though.
    BAD WOLF

If you haven't finished the macro or seeker droid quests you are missing out on some of the best heroic missions they've made. Not just pew pew mobs, but solving puzzles, we had a great time. Also your purchase of ROTHC will also allow you to do the new stuff they are releasing like the new FPs in 2.3 etc

While I don't really like the seeker droid search for speeder pieces and dreadseed armor, it is doable while waiting for pvp/fp pops.

Its good to see former members coming back home to SWTOR and enjoying the game again may you slaughter Imps or Repubs by the hundreds and gut Hutts till they are slime beneath your boots

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, Kitty. If the initial launch was where 1.3 picked up at the game would have been much more of a hit. Because of its initial failure, many people don't feel inclined to attempt it again since it had already left a bad taste.

I know I'm not going to be playing it full time once FF14 comes out, but I will still be raiding as that doesn't seem to take up much time when in a high end guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I*snip*
    If it had launched F2P and had everything it has now...yeah....it would have been a ridiculous success. They have so many platforms for building on...I sincerely hope they do.
    BAD WOLF

In terms of hm fps, you get 66 level and end bosses and extra bosses drop 69 level gear. Thus much better than the 61 or 63 level gear.

I haven't done the seeker droid or macrobinocular missions, but everyone who has done the Macrobinocular mission swears up and down that it's the best quest line in the game.

Makeb is cool. Done this only on the republic side so far, but it's a pretty cool planet, and the story line is good. Just started it on my imp side toon, so can't really comment on whether or not the storyline is good or compliments well.

Also, in terms of upgrades, most everything is craftable now, so it's pretty easy to get gear up to 31 level gear, granted that does take a lot of creds if you buy it straight out, but with mats and a tip, you can pretty much get just about anything these days. Most expensive things being the 31 level barrels and hilts.

Pvp is actually pretty fun IMO, at any level. Rated PvP is a mixed bag of insanely good pvpers with all top gears, and sometimes just random teams that are doing it for the rated comms, and getting their asses handed to them quickly.

As far as if you consider RotHC worth it, that's really a personal opinion. I don't know what you consider cheap or expensive. As a sub, the $10 was an easy buy, add that when you do buy it, at least when I did, I got a pet, and a leveling hutt holostatue, thus I never need to go to a trainer whereever I am. Which kind of makes it like the speeder you get for the $5, usable to max level on any toon, and as thus saves you time and creds. And as a sub, you also don't have to deal with the slower leveling experience, and lately I'm only doing the class quest missions on planets and not having to do the side quests and planetary quests multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    and a leveling hutt holostatue, thus I never need to go to a trainer whereever I am.
    This. You get the holostatue on every character, and it makes things so much nicer. Just dinged? Talent point, hutt statue, upgrade skills, done. If that for upgrading to the Xpac for everyone, that makes the deal so much sweeter. I'm really hoping it wasn't just for pre-orders. Even so, you can buy similar statues off the GTN (Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Darth Nihilus, and a couple others I think; may be off, but there's a few), though they're going to be pricey, and only usable on one character, unless you do the "Collections" thing to give them to more, but that costs Cartel Coins....

I also have yet to fully do the Seeker/Macro missions, but the Macro missions I've done so far have been really enjoyable. Seeker droid pissed me off on Tatooine, because apparently the thing it wanted me to find was stuck in a rock. The Macro missions are pretty cool, from what I've seen; a mix of "I Spy" with puzzle-solving and OH GOD WHY IS THERE A 55 CHAMP MOB ATTACKING ME I'M GONNA DIE I'M GONNA DIE I'M GONNA- oh it ran away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kitty, make sure you play both Republic and Imperial side of Makeb. The storyline is a lot better when you see both sides of the coin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mstieler View Post
    I'm really hoping it wasn't just for pre-orders.
    Well that's ok, because I love dashing someone's hope. It was certainly just for preorders.

So as someone who objectively knows my MMO patterns, this will not last for me, but here's my update:

- Game is a lot of fun. Definitely worth $10 as a subscriber to continue playing the end game. I'm not sure why the $20 tag felt so much worse, but I think a large part is that the game simply isn't worth it to a non subscriber at this point.

- Even though you can work to earn everything (as it is available) via credits and the GTN, something about it feels fleeting. The handful of restrictions that you can never get around (reduction in xp, rep, currency), the fact that you can only purchase temporary passes for content and that the prices aren't balanced (space costs the same as raiding) makes it feel awkward.

Subscribing is the only way to obtain the same carefree fun...where you can focus on playing instead of worrying what new trick or hoop you need to jump through to maximize your game. It is 100% possible, as I unlocked a lot of the game as a preferred player. If you think you are going to take a step back and slowly level alts, this is when you should stop subscribing and just play as you go.

- Storyline was good, not great. Lack of personal story really, really showed how weak this writing is. It was still very fun, however.

- Quest delivery/implementation as you approach 55 and beyond is awkward and overload. GSI/Seeker/Macro/Staged Quests are shoved into a little area (which is convenient) but awful for someone who wants to do everything or someone who doesn't know what is going on.

-Macro binocs is a great feature, interesting quests so far.

-Seeker droid is a dismally tedious, arbitrarily more difficult archy from WoW. This feature needs a lot of love to be fun. I'll still do it a bunch, as I like collecting things and completion, but it's not the most engaging gameplay.

-Staged dailies are good in theory, arbitrarily tedious and presented bad in practice. The concept is fun, the quests are ok, overall it feels like it could have used a lot more oomph.

-Currency consolidation is awesome and much easier to understand. Great that you earn a little while leveling to get maybe a piece of gear when you level. Not good that some things are tied behind rep, though I guess it is to give you a goal to work towards. Unfortunately the armor isn't really an upgrade, while the weapons (which are locked behind rep) are.

It would be ok if rep wasn't gated even more than WoW, by limiting how much you can earn a week. I do not like that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

So while a lot of what I said sounds negative, it's not really indicative of what playing the game is like. A lot of this is what I have said from the beginning, but there's something in the foundation of the game that is inherently fun. Whether it's the universe, the aesthetic, or just the very distinct and well designed classes...idk. Probably a combination of all of that.

RotHC took what they already did well, the basic aspects of the game, and continued them. More content types were added, so even with them being flawed the game feels a little more filled out. I haven't done Ops or new HMs yet, but I suspect they will carry on in similar fashion.

So ultimately: Someone who already enjoys the game will still enjoy RotHC. I enjoy it. I'm going to play the mess out of it until I eventually get bored. It still feels like it lacks some things to make it hook you for the long run, but gaming shouldn't be about worrying about the long run. I consider my purchase a good investment and maybe I'll even get back into raiding for a bit. Goign to be hard while trying to play WoW too, but it is what it is.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    People tend to remember the worst quicker. I feel mostly the same about the points you mentioned, other than the way the dailies are implemented, i feel they flow very well, though it can be overwhelming at first, you get the hang of it after a couple days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    People tend to remember the worst quicker. I feel mostly the same about the points you mentioned, other than the way the dailies are implemented, i feel they flow very well, though it can be overwhelming at first, you get the hang of it after a couple days.
    The dailies are a great idea for a different game. In this game, they don't work. Mostly because of the way the world is completely disconnected, even on such a small planet. Load screens, shuttle paths, etc. It's an exercise in arbitrary tediousness.

I like the story and the idea that Makeb is falling apart, but it just doesn't work with their engine or design capabilities. I think this more than anything ruins what the staged dailies has for potential. And honestly all of Makeb felt that way...just oddly disconnected because of their system limitations, not disconnected because you are on a crumbling world.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Having an "instanced" world doesn't help. Every area felt disjointed thanks to the insta-travel shuttle.

But yeah, I still 100% agree with this:
    So while a lot of what I said sounds negative, it's not really indicative of what playing the game is like. A lot of this is what I have said from the beginning, but there's something in the foundation of the game that is inherently fun. Whether it's the universe, the aesthetic, or just the very distinct and well designed classes...idk. Probably a combination of all of that.
    Last week I, for some reason, picked up my Marauder again. I haven't played this character/class since launch and I have been having an absolute riot with it. Their 51 ability for the Dual Saber Throw compliments the rest of their abilities perfectly and gives them that ranged attack they sorely needed. I can't tell you how many people I've finished with DST that otherwise would have gotten away (due to me being CC'd and/or snared). On top of that I'm finally leveling a Healing Operative and that class too is turning out to be way more fun than I anticipated...oh, and an Arsenal Mercenary I rolled 2 weeks ago is in a similar spot. Basically, I've got a ton of classes I'm enjoying playing and having a hard time picking just one to focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    -Seeker droid is a dismally tedious, arbitrarily more difficult archy from WoW. This feature needs a lot of love to be fun. I'll still do it a bunch, as I like collecting things and completion, but it's not the most engaging gameplay.
    For some reason, Seeker droid dailies are a lot more reasonable, because there's a visual element in the game world where the item is. So you just find the element you are looking for, and seeker droid right there.

The "hot/cold" elements only seem to be used for the special cosmetic items, not dailies. Not really sure why they structured it this way, but it does make those dailies a lot easier.

It would be ok if rep wasn't gated even more than WoW, by limiting how much you can earn a week. I do not like that.
    The rep cap is really high though. And all your characters count towards the same rep. I only have one 55 character, and I haven't come close to hitting the rep cap. I think the gate is primarily to keep people from using multiple characters to blitz the rep within a single week.

Deleted
    For sure classes in TOR are amazing. Miles more balanced than WoW ones and more fun to dps with. That's probably one of the few things they got right (and which keeps me playing).

10+ Year Old Account
    The rep cap is really high though. And all your characters count towards the same rep. I only have one 55 character, and I haven't come close to hitting the rep cap. I think the gate is primarily to keep people from using multiple characters to blitz the rep within a single week.
    (for some reason the reply with quote function isn't working on my browser right now)I hit the rep cap while leveling my character just from the quest rewards. The fact that I then do dailies and get 'wasted' rep tokens is a little silly. Yes I can hold off til next week...but idk. I don't like any reputation that is artificially limited. I want to be able to accomplish it on my own time at my own pace. It's a flaw in multiple games, one that the general customer base doesn't agree with. It was a huge problem in WoW when Mists launched.It's not that huge of a thing, since rep is account wide. I do prefer having rep and achievements over a whole account though, so that's nice.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    For sure classes in TOR are amazing. Miles more balanced than WoW ones and more fun to dps with. That's probably one of the few things they got right (and which keeps me playing).
    I'd say each advanced class has at least one spec that's well-suited to PVE, one to PVP, wit the third being tank/heals/utility or something. Leaping from pile to pile of mobs on my Marauder to then decimate them is fun as hell; then again, so is Sapping mobs and never even triggering a bonus mission on my Operative/Scoundrel/Assassin/Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    (for some reason the reply with quote function isn't working on my browser right now)I hit the rep cap while leveling my character just from the quest rewards. The fact that I then do dailies and get 'wasted' rep tokens is a little silly. Yes I can hold off til next week...but idk. I don't like any reputation that is artificially limited. I want to be able to accomplish it on my own time at my own pace. It's a flaw in multiple games, one that the general customer base doesn't agree with. It was a huge problem in WoW when Mists launched.It's not that huge of a thing, since rep is account wide. I do prefer having rep and achievements over a whole account though, so that's nice.
    The account-wise stuff is pretty handy, especially if you have a few toons that can hit the rep stuff. I had three toons doing the Gree event daily (one week event), and I wound up with 4 or 5 weeks worth of rep tokens to use to get capped every week (went from neutral to whatever is next-to-maxed). Plus, being able to use the rep titles on a new character is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    playing on the JC server i have seen the 69 and 72 mods/armorings/enhancements/barrels and hilts no LESS than 800-2.5mil on the GTN. Thats basically because they requier the mass manipulation device + 4 Isotope 5vials JUST to make ONE of them and they are Ops ONLY drops. So yea even as a subbie I still raid rather than spend most of my time farming creds to get these things off the GTN. Heck even some of my guildies with MILLIONS would rather run Ops than pay thoe prices for mats or the piece its self.
    Just to note that the rewards for the story quest for TFB has been changed so it gives 2 Mass Manipulators. So, all the newbs and alts that complete the TFB story quest get a great reward.

Deleted
    I'm starting to think about following Kittyvicious - resubbing for RotHC. However, I read an online review which said the reviewer finished the new planet only at level 83, even as a subscriber, so there was not enough XP to level through the new quests. Is that true? I know the opposite happened for me 1-50, when I quickly outleveled every planet after Tython.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    I'm starting to think about following Kittyvicious - resubbing for RotHC. However, I read an online review which said the reviewer finished the new planet only at level 53, even as a subscriber, so there was not enough XP to level through the new quests. Is that true? I know the opposite happened for me 1-50, when I quickly outleveled every planet after Tython.
    Feedback from just about everyone indicates that the story of Makeb is very fast. Plus the absence of class stories might turn you off. But, so far, I haven't heard from anyone that hated the planet. In fact, almost everyone enjoyed the storyline of the planet. So, it really comes down to knowing what you are looking for. If you have a max-level pub and imp waiting for you, then I would highly recommend jumping in and trying it out. However, if all of your max level characters are in the same faction, this might not be the expansion you're looking for.