[Balance] 5.4 Trinkets & Discussion

There are currently 5 trinket options being released with 5.4 that Balance druids would consider using:
    1. 5.4 Raid - Normal - Siege of Orgrimmar - Boss X Loot X - Int Hit Trinket (1)
    2. 5.4 Raid - Normal - Siege of Orgrimmar - Boss X Loot X - Int Hit Trinket (2)
    3. 5.4 Raid - Normal - Siege of Orgrimmar - Boss X Loot X - Int Hit Trinket (3)
    4. 5.4 Raid - Normal - Siege of Orgrimmar - Boss X Loot X - Int Hit Trinket (4)
    5. 5.4 Raid - Normal - Siege of Orgrimmar - Boss X Loot X - Int Hit Trinket (5)

Compared to the 5.3 trinkets, the above seem quite powerful and aiming for some of these is certainly going to be my top priority in terms of gearing when the patch hits. The question is, which trinkets / trinket combos do you think will be the most potent?

I think that, for the most part, using trinket #1 with the crit. damage amplification would be one of the better options given the high crit % of moonkins as we stand and with the 20s duration we can also take advantage of the additional mastery and haste for some pretty strong DoTs or single target burst during the proc. This would be my first trinket choice.

The 2nd trinket also seems like a safe bet with 9.9% chance of duplicating 1/3 of our damage (procs off DoTs as well - tested on PTR 05/07) along with a fairly decent amount of crit as baseline.

Trinket #3 is obviously set out for AoE situations but with the low proc chance and baseline mastery I don't think this is a trinket I would take over a fellow raid member such as a warlock, but may help the moonkins sustained AoE during fights with a large number of adds up for a period of time.

The 4th trinket seems awkward and it makes me wonder if we would resort to spamming our DoTs / instant casts in order to quickly build up the 10 stacks amounting to a huge 23,500 intellect for the remainder of the buff. I'm on the bench with this trinket and trinket #2 as my other trinket choice.

The 5th and final trinket would most likely benefit lower guild moonkins with a lower crit rating than those geared in Throne HCs and, given the problems balance druids currrently have with SS proc wastage, I don't think I would take this trinket over another raid member. However, this trinket paired with trinket #1 may prove to be a much more powerful combo than #1 and #2 if the procs line up at points (additional crit rating and crit damage).

Overall, I think my trinket pairs would work out to be something like:
    Trinket #1 & Trinket #2
    Trinket #1 & Trinket #5 (if procs line up accordingly)
    Trinket #1 & Trinket #4 (if the sustained 23.5k intellect outweighs the other trinket combos)

What are your thoughts & feelings about these trinkets?

EDIT: Starfall stars contribute to building the stacks up for trinket #4 which is nice, but i'm not sure if it will stay that way.
    Last edited by craigp100; 2013-07-05 at 01:41 PM.

Looking at this trinket list there all pretty nice.

Trinket One - Seems really really nice. with how much crit and haste most moonkins have now.. gonna be nice when it procs
    Trinket Two - Seems nice but at the same time really bad.. what if it procs off a moonfire or sunfire, 1/3 of that aint massive. But off starsurge / Starfire yeah its alot of damage and could be super nice to have proccing (if it procs ALOT)
    Trinket Three - I agree it will be nice if there is alot of AOEing in X fight even tho the mastery is pretty blah... could be nice if it procs alot helping with "splash damage"
    Trinket Four - Could be a nice trinket, i dont think we would need to go back to spamming moonfire or sunfire. With most druids now you can probs get max stacks in 15secs or less depending on haste giving you a good 5secs at max spellpower from it. Could be nice with treants or even just reapply dots for nice damage. Would depend if all dropds take the 10k rating in next tier as stats will be nicer.
    Trinket Five - Seems meh.. im already at 35% crit so more crit to me is kinda worthless. i want more spellpower things now really...

I think it's to early to tell. The trinkets might still change considerably before the patch goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyzhi View Post
    Looking at this trinket list there all pretty nice.

Trinket One - Seems really really nice. with how much crit and haste most moonkins have now.. gonna be nice when it procs
    Trinket Two - Seems nice but at the same time really bad.. what if it procs off a moonfire or sunfire, 1/3 of that aint massive. But off starsurge / Starfire yeah its alot of damage and could be super nice to have proccing (if it procs ALOT)
    Trinket Three - I agree it will be nice if there is alot of AOEing in X fight even tho the mastery is pretty blah... could be nice if it procs alot helping with "splash damage"
    Trinket Four - Could be a nice trinket, i dont think we would need to go back to spamming moonfire or sunfire. With most druids now you can probs get max stacks in 15secs or less depending on haste giving you a good 5secs at max spellpower from it. Could be nice with treants or even just reapply dots for nice damage. Would depend if all dropds take the 10k rating in next tier as stats will be nicer.
    Trinket Five - Seems meh.. im already at 35% crit so more crit to me is kinda worthless. i want more spellpower things now really...
    The best thing about 1. is that it increases crit damage itself, not crit rating. Like the Burning meta on overdrive. Looks pretty awesome.
    Also the 2nd looks like it has a constant % chance to proc, like the Tarecgosa proc, instead of crappy RPPM, so procing off a dot tick won't make the "chance" go wasted.
    Agreed that the 3rd one looks interesting if there is an aoe fight like Windlord.
    I've read that the 4th one procs from Starfall as well, so in the openers at least you will see almost instant max stacks.

Best combo so far on PTR is the stacking and the inc crit damage trinket, multistrike one does way to little damage over the fight, same with the cleave trinket.

But some do have an incredibly low rppm chance, like the new stacking one has a real bad rppm, inc crit one is pretty good generally

On a somewhat related note, the 14% increased critdamage, haste and mastery on the healing trinket also works for Moonkins, however the int proc only works on actual healing spells.
    Last edited by huth; 2013-07-05 at 01:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    On a somewhat related note, the 14% increased critdamage, haste and mastery on the healing trinket also works for Moonkins, however the int proc only works on actual healing spells.
    I often have Rejuvenation rolling on myself almost all fight long (after initial burst of course) so the Int proc only activating on actual healing wouldn't be a problem.

If you play like that, it would certainly be an interesting option.

Ysera's Gift doesn't appear to trigger it, though.
    Last edited by huth; 2013-07-05 at 04:09 PM.

I couldnt get 4 to proc from anything but a Melee hit so I think the initial proccing of it is bugged, but the stacks stacking work fine. The 2nd one in the tests I did generally ended up being an even 3.3% of my damage which was rather impressive that it ended up so even but to be expected. As long as 1 and 4 have decent proc rates (no shit like UVLS) then I see those probably being the best esp for our opening burst. 5 just seems like crit overkill at this point adding another 19.6% crit for 20 seconds when it procs, I suppose if it has an insane proc rate then it could overtake the others but as long as you have a starfall to burn 4 stacking quickly isnt a problem unless they change it which I hope they don't as it ends up being interesting for us.
    3 tries to tempt you with cleave but 1 I dunno the range on it yet and 2 its stats are horrible and has such a low proc rate. I doubt it can proc from aoe but have yet to test that.

Overall I hope they don't nerf the proc rate of 1 into the ground at least and preferably not 4 either, that would be severely disappointing. I really enjoyed the crit modifying the proc rate of cha-ye's but don't see it happening to any of these. Anything more stubborn with their bad luck streak than breath will probably be a disappointment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trinket 1: Scales with mastery and crit. Could cause mastery stacking past a certain point of crit for added benefit. 84% mastery will also multiply against the 84% crit damage while in an eclipse, so there's room for some big numbers.
    Trinket 2: Should be a flat 3.3% damage increase judging by the proc. Kinda boring, "normal" scaling with stats so it shouldn't affect stat choices.
    Trinket 3: If it can proc off Hurricane/DoTs then it might be a strong choice for clump fights. Completely dependent on strategies and boss mechanics. No inherent super scaling.
    Trinket 4: Lots of int, int procs typically grant the highest DPS since there's no real hard limit on it. Would also contribute slightly to crit while active.
    Trinket 5: Variable crit that could be a less-potent UVLS with higher uptime. Crit should still scale well, but I'm not sure how strong it'll be with 5.4 heroic gear crit levels.

Overall I'd say Trinket 1 and Trinket 4 are the most promising - then again, UVLS was extremely promising during the PTR as well and that became our worst trinket in the end. I wont make any "best" conjectures until the trinkets are finalised and on our doorstep. As it stands, those two look the best in terms of proc, scaling and strength.

i don't recomend 4 at all. It's better for classes that have instant cast or low cast time spells they can spam (demo warlocks are good) and the proc rate is worse than 1. With out high haste ratings you only get 4-5s of the max int. If it lines up with trinket 1 it's good but that's rare. 5 is really strong and works well with the 1s trinket and is up fairly often. 2 is strong on mutli target fights (the cleave range is horrid on 3, and you don't group most of the bosses or adds up).

Trinket 5 has an ICD, it's not RPPM.
    Trinket 4, is RPPM, and is seemingly stacking with starfall and it's nuts. 20 seconds of 23500 int... wow.
    Trinket 1 is random as hell, but with no trinket procs other than it, I got a 900k crit. Lolworthy.
    Trinket 2 and 3... I won't use. Never. It'll be very situational and it's such a small amount of our damage, I'd rather have the 3 above.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Checksmix View Post
    i don't recomend 4 at all. It's better for classes that have instant cast or low cast time spells they can spam (demo warlocks are good) and the proc rate is worse than 1. With out high haste ratings you only get 4-5s of the max int. If it lines up with trinket 1 it's good but that's rare. 5 is really strong and works well with the 1s trinket and is up fairly often. 2 is strong on mutli target fights (the cleave range is horrid on 3, and you don't group most of the bosses or adds up).
    Starfall stars proc it. It charges very fast.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    Starfall stars proc it. It charges very fast.
    Yah, at one point I managed to gain the 10 stacks with in like 5-6s was quite nice

Quote Originally Posted by Checksmix View Post
    Like our DoTs, Wrath and Starfall? We might be one of the fastest classes to charge this thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like our DoTs, Wrath and Starfall? We might be one of the fastest classes to charge this thing.
    Would it be a worthwhile dps los (IKR!) to hold on to starfall (potentially casting it in solar instead of lunar) so if the trinket procs we can stack it asap? I mean do you think the damage lost from casting it without the 45%+ eclipse bonus will be less than getting the 10 stacks sooner allowing for more max int uptime?
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

Not sure. We're already going to stack it faster in Solar anyway and it will provide less of a gain during a Solar eclipse as well.
    Might be close enough to require exact math, though in that case, it's probably enough of a wash to not warrant changing your playstyle anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure. We're already going to stack it faster in Solar anyway and it will provide less of a gain during a Solar eclipse as well.
    Might be close enough to require exact math, though in that case, it's probably enough of a wash to not warrant changing your playstyle anyway.
    In which case; procing it in solar would be ideal, and then we could pre starfall and re starfall both in lunar with the increased int like in the opener? Maybe /

*Looks for Mr Slippykins*
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

Deleted
    Trinket 1 is on a 105 sec ICD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xtramuscle View Post
    In which case; procing it in solar would be ideal, and then we could pre starfall and re starfall both in lunar with the increased int like in the opener? Maybe /

*Looks for Mr Slippykins*
    Since we wont really be able to game when the trinkets proc, Starfall uptime would be 10/30 = ~33%, and when the trinket procs it's active for 20 seconds, or 67% of a cycle. There's a small chance that you'll pop Starfall and none of the stars will fall during the trinket proc, but the more likely scenario is that all your stars will happen between 5-15 seconds of the proc. Keeping Starfall lined up with eclipse is probably the better option, or lining Starfall up with additional targets where possible. Starfall with 2 targets > Starfall with 1 target in Lunar.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabb View Post
    Trinket 1 is on a 105 sec ICD.
    While testing is helpful, we wont really have a definite answer on whether the trinkets are RPPM or not until Blizzard finalises them and tells us. If they've already come out with that information, my apologies.