Page 1 of 3
LastLast

cutting as a adult

I cut myself sometimes. I helps me a lot with all kinds of things. It helps the way I feel about myself, my mistakes and helps me make better choices in life. The way I see it the cutting keeps me sane. But my girlfriend hates it. I have been doing it more recently and my attitude is "Get over it. I am a responsible adult and it helps." At least it is better then smoking.

How do other cutters feel? How do you handle the Gf/Bf?
    How about non cutters how do you cope with life?
    gw2 is a great game

I deal with life. That's how I deal with life. I don't smoke, drink to get drunk, or cut.

Well, it's certainly a common thing among folks with emotional regulation issues. I'd like you to listen to your girlfriend and get some help though.

I don't have much in the way of coping mechanisms, as I'm just not upset very often. When I am, I run. If that's not good enough, I hit a punching bag till I'm too tired to hit it any more.

Interesting, I wonder if stress is a big issue for you?
    gw2 is a great game

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been a cutter.

Seek help. You might think that "oh, it helps me so I'm gonna keep doing it". Very, very bad logic. Doing hard drugs can also help you deal with stuff, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, it's certainly a common thing among folks with emotional regulation issues. I'd like you to listen to your girlfriend and get some help though.

I don't have much in the way of coping mechanisms, as I'm just not upset very often. When I am, I run. If that's not good enough, I hit a punching bag till I'm too tired to hit it any more.
    I used to exercise like a crazy person for stress. But I do not have time for that. I do not have time for any long ritual. I need instant lasting results. I need to feel something, literally I need to feel something.
    gw2 is a great game

10+ Year Old Account
    we aren't qualified to help you

Quote Originally Posted by beanz View Post
    Interesting, I wonder if stress is a big issue for you?
    you've no idea

seek help
    can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    we aren't qualified to help you

you've no idea

can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped
    I was hoping for more cutters. I guess I will take my thread somewhere else. The grass is so much greener.
    gw2 is a great game

I realise you'll probably ignore it since you're here looking for validation, but please get some help.

Coping is a skill you can learn, and you can put strategies in place that are far better than harming yourself.

I used to exercise like a crazy person for stress. But I do not have time for that. I do not have time for any long ritual. I need instant lasting results. I need to feel something, literally I need to feel something.
    I don't think you'll meet with sufficient answers here; I think it's important that you get help from someone that can help you. Be honest with yourself - this isn't about coping mechanisms for stress, it's about an inability to emotionally regulate in a healthy fashion.

Deleted
    I used to do it. I haven't done it for 3 years by now, it's only destructive, it won't make you feel better in the long run, only temporary - for a very short time. It won't solve any problems. It's better to take care of the problems than to resort to cutting.

Get help to stop doing it is all I can say.

10+ Year Old Account
    See a doctor. I'm dead serious. I know what you're going through. In the interim, try music. Something to take your mind off of what's bothering you.

I was hoping for more cutters. I guess I will take my thread somewhere else. The grass is so much greener.
    There are probably relatively few cutters who are adults because it is a very bad habit. I for example have a ton of problems that could cause stress. Just gotta find a healthy way to deal with stress. Smoking doesn't actually help either. It only helps later on because you are satisfying an addiction. Chances are if you keep cutting, you may soon be saying "My ex-gf hated it". Its just not an acceptable nor safe habit (not like some other things are safe / safer). Cutting is just viewed as something that teens do who have yet to learn how to deal and handle with life.

You have a long life ahead of you, as do we all. Just take some time of it to find a safe way to deal. Try doing jumping jacks or running in a small circle in the back yard.

I cut myself once because a friend of mine told me I wouldn't and handed me a razor, obviously had to prove him wrong, shockingly it doesn't really hurt.

Anyway, if you're looking for people to say "Oh yeah I cut myself too, it's totally awesome and you should probably do it more!" you're in the wrong place. Generally speaking people don't condone destructive behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Smoking doesn't actually help either. It only helps later on because you are satisfying an addiction.
    To be fair, it's pretty helpful to destress for people that are very light smokers. I haven't had a cigarette in probably 6 months or so; if I did now, I'd experience a huge rush from the nicotine. From past experience with tobacco, I know that'd help me settle down pretty nicely after a horrible day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    Are you seriously asking a bunch of Internet strangers on a gaming forum for help? Or are you trying to get attention? Not smart, dude...
    Depression makes for a poor partner when trying to make decisions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go find a therapist. Seriously. That is not healthy behavior.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes definitely seeking help with other troubled people as a troubled person will definitely help you out. They wont give you the answer you're looking for.

Do yourself a favor and get help. What you are doing is not healthy, or safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    Yes definitely seeking help with other troubled people as a troubled person will definitely help you out. They wont give you the answer you're looking for.
    But if you're doing something bad for you, it's only natural to want to find others doing the same thing, they're the only ones who won't tell you that you're wrong for doing it. Kinda makes sense that he's trying to find other people who engage in the same bad behavior as him, because they're the only ones who will tell him it's okay, everyone else will tell him to get help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, I don't think being snarky to somebody with emotional stability issues is the wisest path to take.