Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

After seeing what goes on behind the scenes of my McDonald's store.

I feel sick to my stomach that I ever ate at McDonald's. Firstly, there are timers on the meats like burgers, crispy chicken, ect ect. When the timers go off, you're supposed to throw them away and make fresh meat. My store doesn't do that. There are times where the Grilled Chicken has been sitting in the rack for 3 hours and they still serve it. You're supposed to change them out with fresh grilled chicken every 60 minutes. When the grilled chicken sits in that rack for that long, they get very hard and dry. Same thing goes for every other meat in the rack. I remember the first day I was there, I attempted to follow the rules and throw the meat away when it was time to exchange them for fresh meat. I was told by the managers not to do it because their waste count would be through the roof. The only time they actually throw them away is when the inspectors are there. Some employees don't change their gloves after they handle the trash. So they will handle the trash and then go back on the table to handle your food.

Bugs.. There are bugs EVERYWHERE. Flies get free roam on the condiments. It's pretty nasty when you have 3 to 5 flies all sitting on the cheese that you use for the sandwiches. Roaches.. Yes, I have seen a few roaches and you know what they say about that. Once you see one roach then there are hundreds more hiding. The managers even know about it. Some employees don't change their gloves after they handle the trash. So they will handle the trash and then go back on the table to handle your food.

I'm not saying every McDonald's is like that one I work at. I'm sure there are stores that are clean and follow the rules, but can you imagine how many other stores are as lazy as the one I am working at? I guess the reason why I am posting this is because after watching that Golden Carel video, thought I would share that stuff like that happens at McDonald's as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you do something about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you ever stand up to confront these breaches of the guidelines?

Deleted
    Report them if you are so disgusted.

Deleted
    fast food restaurants putting time/cost before standards?
    im agog!

Call your state's inspector? Get some evidence?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    Every Micky-D franchise is a little different, but there are some over-arching policies that they're all supposed to follow. I would assume that "time meat is allowed to sit in a warmer" is one of those policies. Check the company rules and see if they are in violation. If they are, then you should blow that whistle. That's what it's for.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Did you ever stand up to confront these breaches of the guidelines?
    It's hard for me to get a job. I was lucky enough to even get the one I have currently at McDonald's. When I attempt to follow the rules like for example throw the expired meat out, I get bitched at and harassed by the managers. I say "I'm just trying to follow the rules" and I'm simply told "No, you do what I say"

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    It's hard for me to get a job. I was lucky enough to even get the one I have currently at McDonald's. When I attempt to follow the rules like for example throw the expired meat out, I get bitched at and harassed by the managers. I say "I'm just trying to follow the rules" and I'm simply told "No, you do what I say"
    You should go around your manager then. If it's a franchised location try to get in touch of the owner. if it's a corporate store try and get in touch with corporate. Fire your boss, like a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You should go around your manager then. If it's a franchised location try to get in touch of the owner. if it's a corporate store try and get in touch with corporate. Fire your boss, like a boss.
    I'm not exactly sure how to tell if it's corporate or franchise. I guess I could always ask someone at the store. lol

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I'm more surprised by is that you needed this experience to not want to eat there again. I personally do not feel healthy or energized after eating McDonalds/etc. On the other hand, there's tons of much healthier alternatives that give the exact opposite results.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Surprise health inspector visit me thinks. Report them, and be detailed about it, and something will be done. Every developed country in the world is extremely serious when it comes to public health (regarding the insects you mentioned), and I'm sure those who have their franchise contract (i.e. McD's HQ) with the branch will be interested in hearing about it. I'm sure there's an employee website where you can find a 'confidential number' (in the event the manager has taken down the signs), and in most cases, you can report them anonymously through this hotline.

If you're concerned about losing the job (despite it being McDonalds, times are tough and I can see it as being a concern), I'm sure that the HQ could reassign you to another branch nearby.
    you eat insect/rodent parts in pretty much everything you eat. you eat other people's saliva, dead skin, scabs, whatever. if you want pure food, you grow/harvest/prepare it yourself

or you're eating insect/rodent/skin/saliva/scabs/hair/etc

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What I'm more surprised by is that you needed this experience to not want to eat there again. I personally do not feel healthy or energized after eating McDonalds/etc. On the other hand, there's tons of much healthier alternatives that give the exact opposite results.
    sounds like it's in your head unless your healthy alternatives are sprinkled with cocaine. a fucking apple doesn't make you feel healthy and energized.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I haven't eaten anything but their salads or maybe an ice cream. Even then it's very rare that I eat there.

Fast food is a waste of money anyways. In fact, even 99% of "sit-down" restaurants serve garbage food as well. It tastes better, because it's cooked to order, instead of sitting around in warming trays, but the quality of the food is still sub-par. The ingredients are available at any local supermarket for a fraction of the cost of what you pay at a restaurant.

Bottom line: Learn to cook. Life will be much happier that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    That goes well beyond what a normal McDonalds should and you should report it immediately. I worked at McDonalds myself from when I was 16 to 19 (gosh it's been 11 years) and I never, ever saw that. We were clean and spic & span. Now that doesn't mean we followed the rules to the letter (especially about throwing food away immediately), but that's definitely not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by benadryl View Post
    you eat insect/rodent parts in pretty much everything you eat. you eat other people's saliva, dead skin, scabs, whatever. if you want pure food, you grow/harvest/prepare it yourself

or you're eating insect/rodent/skin/saliva/scabs/hair/etc
    That doesn't mean you should allow other people to endanger you with serious health violations. Bugs are usually attracted to very unsanitary conditions that go well beyond what is normally allowed in food. That means eating spoiled food or food that has been contaminated with or around spoiled food. You wouldn't feed your kids rotten meat, so why should we just sit back and ignore this?

Sounds like your restaurant has bad management and a bad health codes.

Deleted
    I have worked with a restaurant that was high class, same things happen there. If you want the best kind of food make it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

That doesn't mean you should allow other people to endanger you with serious health violations. Bugs are usually attracted to very unsanitary conditions that go well beyond what is normally allowed in food. That means eating spoiled food or food that has been contaminated with or around spoiled food. You wouldn't feed your kids rotten meat, so why should we just sit back and ignore this?
    I'm fairly sure the warming trays hold food at a temperature that would prevent spoilage. But the fact is when food is held for an hour at 170F it dries out. And if it's only 170F straight through by the time the burger is assembled it will end up being served cold.

I was unaware that they even considered an hour to be an acceptable hold time. By the end of an hour it's going to taste like crap and be all leathery. Going over that just shows absolutely no pride of workmanship.

It's sad because 10 years ago there was consistency at McDonald's and the food usually tasted pretty good. But I guess if they've extended the hold time to an hour that would explain why it's usually crap these days. Unless you show up right after breakfast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I'm fairly sure the warming trays hold food at a temperature that would prevent spoilage. But the fact is when food is held for an hour at 170F it dries out. And if it's only 170F straight through by the time the burger is assembled it will end up being served cold.

I was unaware that they even considered an hour to be an acceptable hold time. By the end of an hour it's going to taste like crap and be all leathery. Going over that just shows absolutely no pride of workmanship.

It's sad because 10 years ago there was consistency at McDonald's and the food usually tasted pretty good. But I guess if they've extended the hold time to an hour that would explain why it's usually crap these days. Unless you show up right after breakfast.
    I'm not talking about the food being left too long in the trays, though at 170F that would do little to deter bacteria already present in the meat. I'm referring to the bugs he said were "everywhere". There is far more that goes into burgers at McDonalds than just meat. Tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, onions, eggs, and various sauces are all ingredients stored there that can spoil if not properly stored. If they have a bug problem, then one or more of those ingredients is contaminated and being fed to people.

An hour isn't bad, by the way. The smaller burgers are kept in their own grease to preserve their moisture.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-07-08 at 05:33 PM.

Meat lasting a couple of "alarms" is normal based on my experience, and i still have no problem occasionally eating there... The bugs? Do something about that one.