10+ Year Old Account

How to get connected!?

Hello fellow champions! Vodka here hoping to get a little bit of insight on a particular topic and hopefully solve this small issue. So thanks in advance for any tips I receive!

Now on to the issue. I'm currently working as a security guard and I've been working at various locations, but now I've been given a permanent spot at 2 locations. The location I am asking about is a building where I sit at the front desk all day, signing people in, however on average I get maybe 5 people a day being that its a weekend, so for 12 hours I'm going insane with boredom.

So i thought, why not bring my laptop or ipad and kill time playing some apps, reading or *drumroll* World of Warcraft! But the problem is that there is no free Wi-Fi hotspots around the building, crazy I know, it's NYC, impossible lol.

So how can I get myself an Internet connection? My cellphone provider is sprint and i could just be the those little wifi devices but that's more on my cell phone bill, so are there any free alternatives? Or cost effective? Plus isn't 3G and 4G speeds relatively slow for MMO's?

Thanks in advanced! And sorry if this post comes out weird, typed it through my phone!

Do you have a smartphone? Specifically an iPhone? You can setup a personal hotspot using it (or your ipad if it has 4G service). You'd be limited to your 4G speeds, which might be sufficient...but yeah, could work. It'd be no faster/slower than buying a mobile internet package from Sprint or anyone else as those are all going to be 4G anyway.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually have a Galaxy S3 so I can do that, may have to jailbreak to save myself some cash lol. Good idea nonetheless, but hoping to find something a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I actually have a Galaxy S3 so I can do that, may have to jailbreak to save myself some cash lol. Good idea nonetheless, but hoping to find something a little faster.
    Unless you can find yourself some open wifi nearby, 4G is about as good as you're going to get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try using your phone as others suggested. Also, there is http://internet.clear.com/?s_clid=2a...FapcMgodYmEABg

15+ Year Old Account
    I played WoW on 3G, it was about like dial up though, high latency and occasions where I'd lose connection. So 4G should be a bit closer to broadband.

Phone companies have gotten pretty good about stopping jail breaking tethering and wifi hotspots if you're not paying for them though. Not sure about sprint/verizon but I know AT&T/cingular has pretty much thwarted me every time I've successfully tethered my phone. I don't know about verizon, but through AT&T hot spot from my phone is only like $10 extra.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    I played WoW on 3G, it was about like dial up though, high latency and occasions where I'd lose connection. So 4G should be a bit closer to broadband.

Phone companies have gotten pretty good about stopping jail breaking tethering and wifi hotspots if you're not paying for them though. Not sure about sprint/verizon but I know AT&T/cingular has pretty much thwarted me every time I've successfully tethered my phone. I don't know about verizon, but through AT&T hot spot from my phone is only like $10 extra.
    I didn't even know they did that in the US. On my provider in Canada, I can do a wifi hotspot anytime I want for no additional cost as long as I don't go over my data plan (2GB/mo.).

Monthly data limits are going to screw your plan. Be careful or you might end up with horrendous costs at the end of the month due to high data traffic. In 99% cases they will, in addition to extra charges, slow your internet down.

WoW would use up my monthly data volume after one day of excessive gaming.

What you can get in order to have quality internet, capable of handling WoW traffic, is to get another contract on a SIM card, with unlimited traffic. Costs in Germany about 40€ p/m with Deutsche Telekom.

Put the SIM card into the USB adapter and GG.

Deleted
    Bruteforce the wifi passwords.