Page 1 of 2
LastLast

best way to get started doing rated BGs?

I know you need a team obviously but Im very new at PvP and just got my first character to 90 which was a DK. I have pretty much full green leveling gear but was able to get both my PvP trinkets and also the cloak since that was my worst slot. I only have like 500g so buying the crafted gear was out since I will need that for gems and enchants for real gear. But even using OQ every group was just kicking me cause I dont even break 300k fully buffed. Im still on a PvE server and only a few people are using trade chat for players. I have seen 1 or 2 but again they are actually playing for ratings so need geared and people with experience. I eventually plan to move to a PvP server, probably Kel-thuzad, but first I want to see if I like WoW pvp before blowing $25 for a transfer. Trying to get gear by doing randoms is like having my teeth pulled. Every BG I do only results in me getting 75-100 Honor while Horde always get 3 times that. The only reason I had enough honor to buy 3 pieces of gear was from doing AV all day to finish out my last level. Then as soon as I hit 90 and doing randoms for instant queues my win rate dropped from like 85% to 25%.

Does anyone out there have a team US Alliance side where they dont care about rating and could maybe let me get some experience?

The only way you'll get into a group is with full honor gear, so you might as well start grinding it. Yes, RBGs are *insanely* easy to be carried in, but unless you're paying gold or real money I can't imagine anyone will carry you.

Your two options are grind random BGs for full honor gear and then use OQ to find a group, or find a friend and grind out arena wins (you should have like an 18k Conq cap) then fill the rest with honor gear. That being said, if you try to win arena games without full PvP gear you'll probably lose 9/10 and it'll take forever. So yeah, just grind BGs, doesn't take that long you can get full honor gear in 2-3 days.

There's no chance you'll find anyone that wants to do any sort of rated play with you until you get full honor gear, for the simple reason that an undergeared player is literally useless.

It's very easy now to catch up to where a lot of people are at with gear. Your cap should be at around 18,000. Grind some honor (painful but has to be done) then you can either find a friend to play some games with or pay for a boost. Usually there's plenty of people on my server offering services.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    just grind BGs, doesn't take that long you can get full honor gear in 2-3 days.
    According to OQ stats after a BG is over Im only getting 576 honor per hour. So just added the remaining pieces up and I need exactly 20k Honor. 20k honor at 575 an hour means around 34 hours playing for full honor gear. I would have to play 10 hours a day for 3.5 days at that rate. I can do that in a week but certainly not in 2-3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by tiffy33 View Post
    According to OQ stats after a BG is over Im only getting 576 honor per hour. So just added the remaining pieces up and I need exactly 20k Honor. 20k honor at 575 an hour means around 34 hours playing for full honor gear. I would have to play 10 hours a day for 3.5 days at that rate. I can do that in a week but certainly not in 2-3 days.
    No idea how you could only be getting 575 an hour, that's less like 140 a game, unless you're joining every game super late that shouldn't even be possible. Geared my Druid up in 3 days, and my Rogue in 2.5, both on Alliance.

Plus you'll be getting Conquest for wins, which means that 20k honor is only like 17k honor cause you can get a couple pieces of Conquest gear. Or find someone really geared to carry you in arenas and get 18k Conquest, that'll basically get you everything you need.

15+ Year Old Account
    ur still gonna have a hard time finding a rated group if u only have honor gear, every group wants u to at least have the tyrannical weapon if u want to play with them...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    battlemaster.org used to be a thing too, don't know if it's still around? If you get into the 1800+ level.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

This does seem awfully low to me. I don't remember any char I've played in any season every taking 35 hours to get ful honour kit. Even if you didn't quite get the full honor set though, you can still find someone to start boosting you towards that conquest cap and buy most of your gear from that. 18k isn't a full set but it's damn close.

Honestly though you have to bite the bullet and get on with it. Playing random BGs is the equivalent of doing heroic dungeons and LFR before you can get to the prize at the end - proper raiding. In your case its rated play.
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    If ur on Ravencrest EU apparently 2k Arena rating is the minimum for a decent team.

Crafted set will still be better than greens so consider trying to make a little change from dailies or professions. Blacklist Isle and AV if you're feeling more confident in your abilities-- you can't carry 39 people but you can have a greater impact on 9/14. In the meantime, seek out some arena tutorials (DK of course but part of being good means having decent knowledge of every class and their respective capabilities). Skill-Capped posts some good starting footage for free and a lot of gladiators stream/post on their Youtube channels. While arenas might not be what you have in mind right now, starting to work on those smaller scale battle aspects will groom you into a better player. If you're clicking/keyboard turning, break that habit now. Read up on starting tip RBG guides to get in the mindset: most of these include tidbits such as how to avoid rogue ninja caps, etc. that are easily overlooked by newer players. You have oQ which is good-- I still see a fair amount of unrateds running there-- with and without gear requirements. As a DK, there's a very strong possibility that RBGs will want you as a target caller-- in anticipation of your being thrown to the wolves, I'm recommending the above homework=)

As for the grind, even as Allliance, you'll have the bad, the undergeared, and the bots on both sides. 2-3 days is a bit optimistic for a totally fresh player. Using oQ for some unrateds (don't forget to queue for TB every time it's up!) will make the process less painful but even there, be prepared to face a touch of scrutiny as you learn your way around the battlefield.

More tips here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8088619820

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Few tips for you.
    1. Bolt keyboard to your desk - you dont want to throw it through window.
    2. Remove any sharp/blunt objects from proximity of your desk - you dont want to swing them when you go on rampage.
    3. Remove and medicines/pills from proximity of your desk - you dont want to commit suicide after streak of 5 lots RBGs
    4. Before you even start RBG's start therapy at psychologist - its very likely you will need it.
    5. Seal your windows - you dont want to jump down.

That's just few tips for people starting RBg's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    that's less like 140 a game
    sometimes less. Just finished a Gilneas and said I earned 132 and got 78 in a AB where we got 5 capped.
    Last edited by tiffy33; 2013-07-09 at 08:38 AM.

sometimes less. Just finished a Gilneas and said I earned 132 and got 78 in a AB where we got 5 capped. Also didnt I read that with this latest patch Blizzard was supposed to make PvP easier to get into for people that didnt have PvP gear yet? I hit people for 15k damage and die in 5 seconds. I think they failed.
    They raised players base resilience i.e resi with no gear on, but you still need PvP items for the stamina, the primary and secondary stats and of course the PvP power. Of course you can die in 5 seconds with under 300k hp. Especially in a BG where you probably weren't getting healed, had more than 1 guy on you, and one of them could've had the beserker buff.

It is fustrating starting out but you just have to keep it up for a couple of days then the really fun part starts =)

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    It is fustrating starting out but you just have to keep it up for a couple of days then the really fun part starts =)
    I dont mind dying a lot as thats part of getting geared. Its losing every single BG thats starting to piss me off.

I dont mind dying a lot as thats part of getting geared. Its losing every single BG thats starting to piss me off.
    Well that is just serious bad luck and there's not much you can do about that.

Wait for Av week.

Quote Originally Posted by Crruor View Post
    Wait for Av week.
    It's true, Alliance seem to win that a lot.

Btw now that I've come back to the thread something that I forgot to say earlier is, the number of honor displayed on the UI next to everyones name at the end of a BG is just bonus honor. It doesn't include how much you get for your daily win or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok heres a tip for you, do random heroic dungeons. No im not joking hear me up. its the fastest way of getting honor unless you got premade bg group that never loses. Its hilarious but trading in justice points for honor is faster that doing bg's, also go to isle of thunder and do all scenarios there to unlock pvp dailies , they take like 10 minutes to do and award ~1600 honor if i remember correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    It's true, Alliance seem to win that a lot.

Btw now that I've come back to the thread something that I forgot to say earlier is, the number of honor displayed on the UI next to everyones name at the end of a BG is just bonus honor. It doesn't include how much you get for your daily win or whatever.
    Only problem is that everyone plays alliance during AV week because they always win. On US server its around a 10-15 minute wait time where as horde get instant AV queues. So in the end, you get more honor as horde over time.

I remember I grinded on of my horde dk's a full set of honor during AV week. I think I went like 4-37 until I hit full honor. It was hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    Ok heres a tip for you, do random heroic dungeons. No im not joking hear me up. its the fastest way of getting honor unless you got premade bg group that never loses. Its hilarious but trading in justice points for honor is faster that doing bg's, also go to isle of thunder and do all scenarios there to unlock pvp dailies , they take like 10 minutes to do and award ~1600 honor if i remember correctly.
    This guy has the right idea. The only problem is that you're not practicing your class against real players doing this. Sure gear is an important factor in pvp, but you won't learn how to play your class if you're attacking pve mobs for a whole day. I still think its best to pvp to get pvp gear and completely ignore pve. Being completely under geared isn't as bad as it used to be and every fresh 90 has to go through the initiation. Unfortunately, you'll be the prostitute of every ego-starved bg hero in BG's.

It's all part of the adventure.

Deleted
    It's a grind to get Honor Gear but has to be done - I've got full honor gear on 3 Fresh 90's this season, so it's not impossible, frustrating maybe.

Definitely do Tol Barad, depending on your server it may or may not be very active. On ours it's almost a total Ally domination so basically it's 500 Free honor every 2 hours if your Ally . Plus the weekly Win TB quest which is an extra 300 HP for the 1st win. It's 148 for a loss, plus whatever honor you generate fighting.

Have a look on OQ for overall BG stats - Ban the BG's that don't favor your Faction