View Poll Results: Opinion Game Store

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, let the store come to EU/US

73 28.08%
  • No, Please Don't let it ever come here.

152 58.46%
  • Maybe in the future, not now.

35 13.46%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    You Are jumping to conclusions OP

This is a good thing for wow, it means people are still interested in the game and its development.

Not all Asian mmo's have shops, and not all games with shops sell power most sell cosmetic stuff, and Guild wars 2 lets you convert in game gold to cash shop Gems.

So if wow had it set up like guild wars 2 or league of legends then id be ok with it, even if it sold exp buffs and skins.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That's an unwarranted generalization and defining the behavior of 'casual players' in ways that may or may not have validity.

You did though. Right there in the boldfaced part. You might not have meant to but you surely said that. I could say something like 'a casual player is not likely to have any alts' which is ridiculous on the face of it. And the plain fact is that many casual players who have alts may well be in a rush to get to 90. Especially if they've done it a few times already.
    Where did I say "ALL" casual players as the Holyground claimed I did? Honestly it is getting tiresome that you constantly try to twist what I say.

What motivation is there for a casual player to spend money in order so they can get to running raid finder a little quicker? You know full well I did not say all casuals would not buy this and it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the more hardcore player is more likely to buy this.
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-07-10 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    You Are jumping to conclusions OP

This is a good thing for wow, it means people are still interested in the game and its development.

Not all Asian mmo's have shops, and not all games with shops sell power most sell cosmetic stuff, and Guild wars 2 lets you convert in game gold to cash shop Gems.

So if wow had it set up like guild wars 2 or league of legends then id be ok with it, even if it sold exp buffs and skins.
    The Itemization System of GW2 is completely different to WoW. The Convert of Gold to Blizzard Balance will hurt the market and obviously giving a willing customer a paid advance. Something like that is a no-go for me.

Qarth, the greatest city that ever was or will be
    I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't allow you to buy things that make the game easier or give you an advantage. It would ruin the whole point.

I came to WoW to get away from all the micro-transactions 'Free to Play' (aka Pay to Win) games.

Why only about half of people here find the store idea on top of the current subscription fees sodding absurd, I don't even.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Casual gamers are the largest dividend of players in the game.
    During the conference call last August one of the major investors asked Blizzard why they are gearing their game towards casuals when Nintendo, Facebook and other firms suffered as a result. Casuals are like locust they are a bad investment in the long turn. Their short attention span can't sustain a game like World of Warcraft and the 4 million sub drop in last 8 months is a clear indication of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloun View Post
    I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't allow you to buy things that make the game easier or give you an advantage. It would ruin the whole point.
    So buying lesser charms for cash to double the chance to get decked in the best items available in the game is no advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwsntmilk View Post
    So buying lesser charms for cash to double the chance to get decked in the best items available in the game is no advantage?
    I believe players will still be limited to 3 Elder Charms a week. However, I also deem an EXP boost definitely one of the "things that make the game easier or give you an advantage".

Quote Originally Posted by Syio View Post
    I believe players will still be limited to 3 Elder Charms a week.
    Conquest points also have a weekly limit. You get them even if you lose Arena/RBG so would you be okay with Blizzard selling Conquest points? I mean the reasoning is the same; I am too lazy to work for rewards so sell the rewards to me.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-07-10 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syio View Post
    I believe players will still be limited to 3 Elder Charms a week.
    People are limited to loot every boss per difficulty once per week, would it be ok if they sell the chance for loot for every boss per difficulty once per week for some cash (without needing to kill them)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Conquest points also have a weekly limit. You get them even if you lose Arena/RBG so would you be okay with Blizzard selling Conquest points? I mean the reasoning is the same; I am too lazy to work for rewards so sell the rewards to me.
    I never mentioned ever being okay with that. I was merely speculating with him on the point of 'buying lesser charms for cash to double the chance to get decked in the best items available in the game'.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwsntmilk View Post
    People are limited to loot every boss per difficulty once per week, would it be ok if they sell the chance for loot for every boss per difficulty once per week for some cash (without needing to kill them)?
    Not to me, no. I don't even think the EXP boost being sold is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I'm 100% fine with it happening. Makes zero difference to me, not like there will be anything game breaking in there. If people want to buy lesser charms instead of farming them, or buy a potion to level faster, that's fine by me why should I care? Even if they sell transmog gear, makes no difference to me. Only becomes a problem if they sell PvP gear, anything else is largely irrelevant. Hell, even selling PvE gear hardly matters unless it's being sold at the beginning of the tier, since that will mess with world firsts, but like if they sell the ToT raid gear in 5.4 I wouldn't even care, makes no difference to me.
    I am afraid you don't get how close selling charms (and possibly later on conquest points) is to selling PVP/PVE gear.

Buy charms instead of doing quests to farm them. => Buy gear (or the chance for gear) instead of killing bosses.

...is that where it fizzles? At 204 voters and 152 posts.....
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Long as it gives no advanage to useful loot for pvp or pve its all k.

I honestly don't care. It's something I'll never use myself, but as long as it doesn't give other players an unfair advantage in things like endgame/PvP, I have no problems with it. It doesn't bother me if other players can use it to get minor things like XP boosts or cosmetic items.

If it got to the point where items from the in-game store were required to progress (or gave players who used it a serious edge over players who didn't, ie, you can buy the most powerful gear in the game there), I'd probably be done with WoW. But I doubt Blizzard would let it get to that point.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-07-10 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    During the conference call last August one of the major investors asked Blizzard why they are gearing their game towards casuals when Nintendo, Facebook and other firms suffered as a result. Casuals are like locust they are a bad investment in the long turn. Their short attention span can't sustain a game like World of Warcraft and the 4 million sub drop in last 8 months is a clear indication of that.
    Because the hardcore are very small in numbers.

You want millions of sub, you better have something for causals to do.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Because the hardcore are very small in numbers.
    I'm not talking about hardcore raiders. I am talking about serious players that like to raid and chat with friends. These people tend to play for years without canceling subs. Casuals only sub when a new raid comes out, do it on LFR and cancel their sub again. These people are not a the kind of people you want to rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    You want millions of sub, you better have something for causals to do.
    There was enough for them to do in Classic and TBC. Now leveling is so easy and boring that they just reach max level, do LFR and get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I never understood that "money grubbing" argument, because last time I checked I could well control my spending habbits and I don't care in the least bit if somebody else cannot. Just like I don't care how somebody esel plays a game to find enjoyment.

Apart from that: Have you considered that they looked at SW:ToR and saw how that crashed and burned and they plan long ahead and see that WoW will one day HAVE to go F2P and then they will NEED an ingame store? They already announced they expect another big sub loss by the end of the year.
    ToR's Cartel Market has actually helped the game. They offer nothing that gives you an advantage over other players.* It is primarily filled with unique gear sets, mounts, pets, and other vanity items, as well as things for Free to Play or Preferred players to unlock if they so choose.

We all know ToR crashed and burned at launch, and most people realize it was EA pushing an early launch. It was also Bioware's first venture in an MMORPG, and as Illidan says "They were not prepared."

But live and learn, ToR is currently on the rise at 1.4 million active subscribers, and the subscribers are the biggest users of the Cartel Market.** It's reception has been primarily positive, and it has definitely had a successful impact on the game as a whole by increasing the subscriber count, as well as bringing in the extra warm bodies of F2P and Preferred players.

*They did release a set of starship upgrades that were originally exclusive to the cartel market, but after player complaints they made the upgrades available in-game as well and said they would never do something like that again.

**Tried to find a link for the website I was reading the other day that was talking about subscriber counts in many different mmo's with nice little graphs of them, but I can't find it now.

Alas, the point of this post is not WoW vs. ToR, there's absolutely no point in that topic, but to show that a cash shop is completely viable and able to be successful without offering items or gear that give you a huge advantage over other players. Not to mention the fact that the XP boosters aren't even Cartel Market exclusive, you get complimentary ones quite often for reaching certain milestones in your class story and whatnot. That might be a subscriber only perk though, as I've never had the will to endure playing the game as a Preferred status player.

They also have certain achievements that will grant you Cartel Coins to use in the market, and subscribing provides you with a monthly grant of Cartel Coins, as well as 100 extra coins per month just for having a security key.

I don't know if GW2's cash shop has changed at all since I haven't played it in a while, but theirs seemed pretty decent too, maybe even modest for a B2P game.

I haven't seen Rift's cash shop at all, so I don't know who well that is implemented or if it has been a success for them.

I could see a cash shop similar to what ToR has being implemented in WoW with great success. WoW players tend to strive for ways to stand out from the crowd so-to-speak, as most MMO players do, and cash shops provide a way for the game to offer vanity gear and items that let players do that, but, implementation is everything, especially if you look at the disparity between ToR and WoW. ToR implemented a cash shop when their subs were rapidly declining and interest in the game was pretty lacking, while WoW is trying to implement it while the game is still going strong, strong in this case meaning that it's still the most successful MMO on the market.

Ultimately, I have no problem with an in-game shop; in fact, I think it's infinitely better than having to alt-tab, go to Battle.net, log in and authenticate again, then browse to what I want. In fact, from a longer-term view, consider that the extra money generated from a convenient in-game shop is reinvested in development for the game. That's a win for everyone, really, assuming that's how said revenue is used (rather than just greedily pocketed).

I'd like to be incandescent with rage over this subject, as I always said that an in-game store would be a slippery slope - but then again, I have to be honest about my behaviour. I've bought more races changes than I can possibly count, I've changed server umpteen times, I've bought multiple mounts and pets over my time and, quite frankly, I've no doubt I'll use this service, too. The subscription/in-game store hybrid works very well for Star Wars and, while I don't think Blizzard will go quite that far down the road, they've clearly recognised that an in-game store can work wonderfully if they nail it.

I also find it interesting that they're looking at making virtual servers at a time when most of us think they should be closing some. Has this been in the pipes for a while? Have Blizzard noticed the way Star Wars has gotten many more people involved by offering the hybrid system they've got and are maybe preparing for a rush if they do something similar? This is purely speculation, of course, but it could well be pointing to this idea having been on the table for some time.

As for the items, well, the Battle.net store options, mixed with subscription pane and some new cosmetic items would be fine and I doubt anyone would really have a legitimate complaint if that's all they did. I do, however, think that things like experience, charms and reputation would be cited as "quality of life" purchases, but it's a very slippery slope. I'm intrigued by what else gets mentioned in the upcoming weeks, but I'm not sure it's time to scream "NO".

Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, it is possible for people, many people actually, to not think very highly of World of Warcraft. Those self same people may even consider other games in the genre superior due to their own subjective qualifiers. Qualifiers which are just as valid as the subjective qualifiers of those whom believe World of Warcraft is a "23 out of 10".

Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    Ultimately, I have no problem with an in-game shop; in fact, I think it's infinitely better than having to alt-tab, go to Battle.net, log in and authenticate again, then browse to what I want. In fact, from a longer-term view, consider that the extra money generated from a convenient in-game shop is reinvested in development for the game. That's a win for everyone, really, assuming that's how said revenue is used (rather than just greedily pocketed).
    The majority of the money that WOW makes does not go back into it do you honestly believe that any additional income a cash shop would generate is going to be reinvested in development of the game?