Deleted

Anyway to only play story quests without getting horribly outleveled?

I hated having to do filler quests to get a level or 2 higher because I couldn't get by some boss elite guy with my awesome dual wielding jedi!

The story is awesome but doing filler quests is just a pain, is there anyway to shorten the amount of filler quests needed to progress the story? I know I have to level as it is mmo (I have a level 90 almost every class in wow), so I understand that gaining levels to get more story is inevitable. Although I was wondering know that there are free to play stuff is there xp boosters to skip atleast some of the fillers?

I was subscribed to sw:tor from day and was subscribed for like 9 months then gave up forgot to subscribe just before they went free to play and unsubbed. Any benefits I get from this being subbed for so long then they go free to play?

10+ Year Old Account
    You could this weekend in the double XP event, but now even with full legacy unlock class mission XP bonus and without dipping into Cartel Market for XP buffs i doubt you can do only Class Story quests. Would be an amazing feature for subscribers or preferred to make it so if you already had a max level toon on that faction to be able to do only class missions and still reach level cap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    You could this weekend in the double XP event, but now even with full legacy unlock class mission XP bonus and without dipping into Cartel Market for XP buffs i doubt you can do only Class Story quests. Would be an amazing feature for subscribers or preferred to make it so if you already had a max level toon on that faction to be able to do only class missions and still reach level cap.
    So how much can I avoid, before I had to do nearly every quests available to gain an appropriate level to continue my story. How is it now?

Maybe dive into a couple of flashpoints along the way?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bhoy View Post
    So how much can I avoid, before I had to do nearly every quests available to gain an appropriate level to continue my story. How is it now?
    Without double XP weekend, subscriber buff, full legacy XP boost, and temporary XP boosters, you are going to be in sore shape almost immediately. You could level this way if the rest of your time was spent running FPs and WZs and Space, but that's also limited without being a subscriber.

Also, you lost out on your free stipend of coins by not being a subscriber in the window of time when they transitioned. It was a bad practice, but they did notify people and extend the window to allow more people a chance to fill their pockets. If you do all the quests to level 10, you should have a fair amount of XP boosts, but seeing that they are time based you will waste most of it on travel.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    There are some downsides to just doing your class story mission on each planet:
    -Most importantly, you are missing out on loot and cash. This can be mitigated if you have a rich higher level Alt.
    -You will miss out on leveling any gathering crew skill. This can be mitigated by sending crewmates on missions, but is time consuming and pricey.
    -You will miss out on gaining affection with your companion. This can be mitigated with gifts, but is VERY costly.

That being said, if you want to skip planetary story arcs, but still level, I would suggest stocking up Space Mission XP Boost and running those as much as you can. Space Mission XP is kinda nuts when you compare the time investment vs. normal questing. But...you have to like their current space game.

An alternative is to run Flashpoints. You can get a lot of XP this way (make sure to have an XP Boost though), and if you are a tank or healer you can get a queue to pop much faster.

Hope that helps!

Well, you can always "space bar" through the cutscenes, if you're tired of seeing them. Just keep hitting the space bar til you get to a choice option. It's what I've been doing, aside from my class missions, as I've seen all the planet stuff so far. Of course, there's a few exceptions I will make to "space barring", when the cutscene is just too fun/cool to pass up. Because missing out on loot & credits is not cool.

Alternately, FPs & WZs could help to get you leveled. Each planet shows what it's level range is when you're looking at it on the travel map in your ship; if you're not high enough for the low-end, just go run FP/WZ til you are.

Deleted
    As stated above : Flashpoints and Warzones.

Just don't forget to grab the daily FP quest and the daily WZ quest as they reward a nice amount of XP/credits

10+ Year Old Account
    Be wary about leveling through Warzones. Based on the XP / Time Investment, its not the best plan (and suffers later in levels). However, if you love low-level Warzones and you aren't concerned with blazing through levels to progress your Class Story, it is an option.

xp boosts exist for about everything, and I think they are relatively cheap on the GTN, or used to be.

if you find groups to complete the 'heroic 2/4/area' quests, they boost you a lot. FP quests are usually around each zone, and making sure to do that, as well as your daily random, adds up. You are limited to a certain number of -lootables- as a f2p/preferred, but not from running the FPs if I understand correctly. I'm assuming space combat may be similar (xp, just no rewards at end); if I feel like getting on later, I could try to check, since I lapsed into preferred a couple months ago, but also haven't been on much at all (playing a lot of Rift, as well as in FFXIV beta and another mmo beta atm, as well as mixing in some Minecraft, time is stretched extremely thin ).

Group up with people ... you'll blaze through the questing, not have to look for more when you come upon a 2/4/area, and the social aspect will make the time investment seem less, and the questing more enjoyable (in any game of the MMO genre). When you are chatting and having fun, the 'grind' seems to disappear quite a bit. For me, when I'm doing everything solo, aggroing a pack I tried to skip, trying to focus on objectives, it is sometimes extremely annoying; when I'm with my wife, or a few friends/guildies, everything dies so fast, it is barely noticeable.

The story bosses, otoh, can usually be done without being overleveled ... at least I found a huge difference a few months ago, compared to launch. Maybe I just geared/itemized better, understood mechanics better ... but I recall a specific incident where there was 3 of us, and it was a struggle at launch, where I did it solo at a lower level a few months ago. Understand the fight mechanics (and any possible 'use' items for the fight), have a health pot, use all your abilities (def cds, heroic moment, etc etc) use a stim before to get more damage in, interrupt, etc. If you play it well, you can trivialize most fights (though some I know you can't as much, but those are the exception, not the rule).

And a reminder, you can have people come help you with your class quests. Because we had both saw the story before (at launch, I did warrior, wife inquis) I powered her through her warrior to finish her acts to unlock the buff for her toons. Very few story quests are locked out by level; so you could have a 50/55 assist you through all your companion unlocks; or just find people appropriate level and still have a bit of a challenge

sounds like you aren't playing yet; so you are considered 'preferred' for being a past sub. You get a certain amount of things a pure f2p account doesn't, like a couple more action bars, etc. Most everything that is a convenience to leveling can be bought off the GTN (2 more action bars, etc) and can be found in both character and account unlocks (if you plan to play 4-6 toons, the account is much more efficient cost wise).

Just take your time, and enjoy yourself, most importantly.

ya know if I do bout 2 FPs( is there a limit to the amount of FPs you can do just the amount of loot you can get a F2P/Pref status) a day and just run the story I usually dont need to worry bout filler til bout nar'shadaa on both imp and pub side. I think i do bout 2 MAYBE 4 as they are usually along side the story anyway. but as others said get that boost. you should be able to avoid the need to do filler at least til round lvl 27 and up. I loved that i didnt have to bother with filler planet stuff with boosts, do a fp every few hrs and story in between and I just flow along from planet to planet.

story wise i pick up a few filler at the act 3 area as the missions are orange and could be dicey if i didnt keep gear up. So skip the filler do FPs get cmms gear up and run story you should be fine