10+ Year Old Account

Question WoW Performance Issues

I'm currently having some issues in LFR with my framerates going as low as 5fps. Sometimes it'll bounce to 20-25fps but it'll only be for about 5 seconds then back to around 5fps again. This is on High settings, if I turn it to Low, I get the same result in LFR.

Here's my setup:

AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8mhz CPU
    Radeon 7850 2GB
    16GB PC3-12800 RAM
    650 watt PSU
    Windows 8 Professional

Other additional information:

Disabled addons
    Runs at 60-85fps on the outside world, 35-45 in towns
    Drivers are up-to-date

Would my CPU be bottlenecking my GPU?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Yuuki Asuna; 2013-07-09 at 03:07 PM.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

I would suggest just getting an intel CPU tbh, i used an i3 and a low end graphic card to get 60 fps (40ish lfr) on ultra (shadows down).

You post isnt much help either in my opinion, you say you have the issue of going into lfr and getting drops from 25 fps to 5 fps? - the 5 fps does seem low even for your CPU but i'm not great on how well the AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8mhz is. By `not helpful` i mean you say when you disable addons you get 60-85 fps outside worlds, what about LFR though? we can't compare the outside worlds to LFR, check if the low fps is gone in LFR with disable addons.

But i would say upgrading to an Intel CPU would be a major performance gain especially for LFR.

It doesnt sound like a CPU issue.

The jump and such low FPS is generally something broken with WoW itself, usually by an addon or broken installation/something else wrong with the system.

That CPU is an oldie/weak but if you dont see any change low to high then its obviously something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Asuna-San View Post
    I'm currently having some issues in LFR with my framerates going as low as 5fps. Sometimes it'll bounce to 20-25fps but it'll only be for about 5 seconds then back to around 5fps again. This is on High settings, if I turn it to Low, I get the same result in LFR.

Here's my setup:

Radeon 7850 2GB
    16GB PC3-12800 RAM
    650 watt PSU
    Windows 8 Professional

Disabled addons
    Drivers are up-to-date

I run my game on ultra and it seems you're having a similar issue to the one I was having. On certain fights my FPS would drop a lot, I upgraded to an SSD and it fixed it, now I'm still running 40-60 fps at all times in LFR without issue.

Since everything is being loaded into ram from your hard drive, big spell effect moments are bringing in new spells and bogging down your hard drive, so it's not so much of an FPS problem, just the game loading..

Hope this helps

*Note: Running Skada/Recount is recording multiple sets of data (healing, absorbs, threat, damage) from 25+ sources and this will cause a performance loss
    Last edited by seamore; 2013-07-09 at 04:57 PM.

Here's my setup:

Radeon 7850 2GB
    16GB PC3-12800 RAM
    650 watt PSU
    Windows 8 Professional

Disabled addons
    Drivers are up-to-date

Your CPU is definitely the weakest link in your listed PC specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the replies! I'm running my WoW installation on an external hard drive. I'll try moving it to my internal to see if that makes a difference. I have a new CPU on the way. It's a Phenom II x4 965. I'll try doing some other tweaks to see if it fixes the issue.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Thanks for all the replies! I'm running my WoW installation on an external hard drive. I'll try moving it to my internal to see if that makes a difference.
    It won't. The only problem with WoW on an external is random long (0.5-1s) freezes when WoW needs to pull something from its files. This happens quite a bit on PTR but WoW Retail optimizes its cache such that this rarely happens.

I have a new CPU on the way. It's a Phenom II x4 965. I'll try doing some other tweaks to see if it fixes the issue.
    According to Anandtech, there's a ~30% improvement from a Athlon II x4 630 to a Phenom II x4 965.

The performance boost will be even bigger if the 965 is overclocked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    I would suggest just getting an intel CPU tbh, i used an i3 and a low end graphic card to get 60 fps (40ish lfr) on ultra (shadows down).

You post isnt much help either in my opinion, you say you have the issue of going into lfr and getting drops from 25 fps to 5 fps? - the 5 fps does seem low even for your CPU but i'm not great on how well the AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8mhz is. By `not helpful` i mean you say when you disable addons you get 60-85 fps outside worlds, what about LFR though? we can't compare the outside worlds to LFR, check if the low fps is gone in LFR with disable addons.

But i would say upgrading to an Intel CPU would be a major performance gain especially for LFR.
    I meant that all addons are disabled for both LFR and the world. Even with the addons enabled, I get the same issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    It won't. The only problem with WoW on an external is random long (0.5-1s) freezes when WoW needs to pull something from its files. This happens quite a bit on PTR but WoW Retail optimizes its cache such that this rarely happens.

According to Anandtech, there's a ~30% improvement from a Athlon II x4 630 to a Phenom II x4 965.

The performance boost will be even bigger if the 965 is overclocked.
    Okay that's pretty awesome! I hope I can get this issue resolved. Been struggling with this for a while now.