Poll: ???

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Hmm I have mixed feelings about this. Assuming we have progressed far enough to no longer fight over imaginary friends, relying heavily upon limited resources, and overall less dick waving then I will be ok with it. If we are still as heavily reliant on "my god is better than your god!", eating up resources like crazy, and a constant battle of one upsmanship then we deserve whatever may befall this planet.

To those that think we can just go all crazy with colonization, who is to say that the native species isn't already more technologically advanced than we would be? That fight would be akin to trying to use spears to kill guys with M16s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    Hmm I have mixed feelings about this. Assuming we have progressed far enough to no longer fight over imaginary friends, relying heavily upon limited resources, and overall less dick waving then I will be ok with it. If we are still as heavily reliant on "my god is better than your god!", eating up resources like crazy, and a constant battle of one upsmanship then we deserve whatever may befall this planet.

To those that think we can just go all crazy with colonization, who is to say that the native species isn't already more technologically advanced than we would be? That fight would be akin to trying to use spears to kill guys with M16s.

This 1000x

Infracted: Please refrain from making "this" type of posts.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-07-12 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    So let me get this straight, 30% of you are imperialists?

Other: Cohabitate with the aliens. Why kill them off? Share the land.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

No. I would like to see humanity reach a state of absolute peace before even attempting to colonize space.
    Ideally, we would live among them, establish trade, etc.
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Batix View Post
    No. I would like to see humanity reach a state of absolute peace before even attempting to colonize space.
    Ideally, we would live among them, establish trade, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    This looks pretty harmless. Of course, if it's a 500 feet across it would probably be pretty dangerous. We don't know how big or small or dangerous these aliens would be.
    But if we can take over their planet, I'm sure we will despite what anyone on mmo-champion says or threatens (like to spy on us). We took over entire land on Earth and as soon as we can freely move around oceans, we'll completely take over them as well. Sharks are endangered now, but if we build inter-ocean expressway, they'd get run over into extinction.

I don't see why life on another planet is more precious than life on this planet. We got intelligent life here - we got dolphins. If some dolphin decides to do math, and we don't like it, we'll smack it with a stick. Same will happen on another planet to intelligent life.

Of course, if some slightly more intelligent species comes to earth, they'll eat us with asparagus, and keep few in zoos, and smack us with sticks ... such is life of an inferior species.
    Even if I knew i was going to almost assuredly die in space and on other planets. I'd sign my life away for the opportunity.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    No I wouldn't support them and if such a planet exists I hope the greedy bastards never find it.
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Colonize yes, conquer no. If we'd just build some outposts and trade or bargain with them, I'd see no problem with it. I'm pretty sure they'd have uninhabited continents like Antarctica on Earth was around that time that wouldn't be much of a problem to colonize using advanced technology.
    Agreed. As long as we could do things peacefully, I'd be fine with it. Although.....we don't have the best history of going the "peaceful" route in situations like that. If we ended up turning it into some campaign to force them out of their homes, enslave them, etc, I'd probably want to side with them against it.

i'm tempted to go with the prime directive here.

first study and see if they're ready for first contact.
    if not, we wait.

unless there is a legitimate need, such as planetary destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Right on! I think we need to make a group called "Humans against humanities stupidity" or something.
    I see the humor of your entire logic. I did you a favor and highlighted that portion.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Would you approve of Saudi Arabia trying to colonize the U.S? no? Same point applies then.

And yes, iw ould join the side of the aliens and be a spy for them if we ever became so arrogant as to do that.
    No it doesn't. Or are you insinuating that Saudi's are a different species when compared to Americans?

Obliterate them. Such is the way of nature. Its cruel and murderous. The survival of the species is way more important than some ridiculous ideological notion that all beings will and can eventually be able to live together. It is misguided. The survival of Humanity is greater than some other species that has failed to adapt correctly to further its species.

"Enemies. Everywhere. Kill, kill them all!" -Meng
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many worlds have we found that support human life? 1? Yeah so if we find another, and can travel there, yes we are going to colonize it, and if the natives turn hostile, they get put to the sword.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    How many worlds have we found that support human life? 1? Yeah so if we find another, and can travel there, yes we are going to colonize it, and if the natives turn hostile, they get put to the sword.
    Maybe in that land of yours you call Barbaria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unpossible premise. Aliens don't exist. I think you call them gardeners and housekeepers

Besides, everyone knows Gawd made everything. Gawd wouldn't put it there if it wasn't for the private personal use of his people.

But even if we run with your fantasy, humans would be american about it, liberate their society, liberate their planet, and if they complain, the population would get a healthy dose of liberation. And they'll like it sunshine.

Infracted: Please don't insult entire nations and don't make claims about religion which can derail the thread.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-07-13 at 08:04 PM.