Poll: ???

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    depends. like, if the aliens were cool with it, technology trade deal or something, and they would be allowed to move here if they wanted, i'd totally be down with it. if it's gonna turn out bad for them, then no. i don't want us to do to them what we did to the native americans :/

15+ Year Old Account
    The poll choices seem pretty black and white. I mean, just because I would maybe say "No" doesn't mean I think they're animals or something. I would need a lot more information before deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine View Post
    Conquer every planet and race!

well why not ''conquer'' them if they're not that advanced.

just teach them (peacefully) few essential things and give 'em a gun, make them swear loyalty and off you go to conquer more planets.
    If we were to do that then we would need a failsafe incase of a rebellion. We could install some kind of chip in them at birth that will explode if we press a button.

They would never know about it, just like Krogan from ME3. (Yea, I'm the kind of guy who shoots the Salarian when he tries to be the saviour)
    Last edited by Vinictus; 2013-07-09 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    No, and I would help the inhabitants of the newly discovered world kill humans to protect themselves if need be.
    This.

/10chars

Fuck no, it would be wrong by the same principle by which the US invading the whole of Africa and colonizing the place for its resources with no regard for its inhabitants would be wrong.

I don't think humanity should permanently spread to other planets (or moons) before our civilization on Earth is largely peaceful, sustainable and stable in the long term. Unless some unavoidable, global disaster is at hand for our lives on Earth, then we'd obviously have to move to save ourselves.

So in regard to the hypothetical aliens: No, there's no reason to attack. We could see if we could steal or trade some technologies from them (if they have anything useful).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Even though the possibility of this scenario playing out in our lifetimes is pretty much zero, these responses are truly disturbing.
    how is it truly disturbing to put your own species survival above that of an alien species ?
    You realise that the distances involved in space travel would mean that we would be looking at generational ships when considering planets out side our solar system.

Would you rather risk the entire life times of generations of your own people for the lives of alien planet ? Because you had better believe that I would not. I would not hesitate for a second if it came to a decision between my species and that of an alien planet. It is called Survival of the fittest. Had the planetary population who was the target of the colonization made the necessary advancements to defend it self, the it would survive and we would either be dead or forced to look else where, natural selection at its finest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinictus View Post
    If we were to do that then we would need a failsafe incase of a rebellion. We could install some kind of chip in them at birth that will explode if we press a button.
    The chip would have to be installed near their brain and never tell them about the chip, too bad if someone accidentally blows 'em all up ''poof half of your armys heads blew off''

that actually maybe might be fun to watch, maybe

Not at all. Humans are still far too primitive to explore outer space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    how is it truly disturbing to put your own species survival above that of an alien species ?
    You realise that the distances involved in space travel would mean that we would be looking at generational ships when considering planets out side our solar system.

Would you rather risk the entire life times of generations of your own people for the lives of alien planet ? Because you had better believe that I would not. I would not hesitate for a second if it came to a decision between my species and that of an alien planet. It is called Survival of the fittest. Had the planetary population who was the target of the colonization made the necessary advancements to defend it self, the it would survive and we would either be dead or forced to look else where, natural selection at its finest.
    Sure, survival is pretty much built into us, but MANY of us arnt willing to go so far as to enslave / exterminate other species to benefit our own. just screams hypocritical when in the same breath, we demonize what we've done to our own native populations. The aliens need to survive to for their own survival. its just utterly stupid to think we're the best the universe has ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

I don't value life because of what species it is, I value it because of sentience. It is not survival of the fittest, it is happenstance, and I would absolutely destroy the human invaders for the sake of these hypothetical creatures.

No hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine View Post
    The chip would have to be installed near their brain and never tell them about the chip, too bad if someone accidentally blows 'em all up ''poof half of your armys heads blew off''

that actually maybe might be fun to watch, maybe
    As part of the televised sport that we have created, these misendeavor's could end up on a spin off show called 'Invasion Bloppers' (Someone else can come up with a more creative name).

Both people for and against have some funny process ideas about the world. Humanity "dont have the right to do it", or its "our right to do it". Guess what your rights are imaginary, we invented them for ourselves, animals dont have rights. Another lifeforms dont have our rights. Wanna know why? Theres no such a thing as rights. If humanity needs that planet, they will take it. Not because its our rights, not because we dont have the rights, but because this is how life works.

Now personally id try to do how we do on earth now. Attempt to take what we need with the least damage we can do. If we need the room for colonization, pick up areas that we can easily colonize since we are more advance and leave them to their own areas. Eventually they will have next to no choice to take part in human colony due to the demand they would have to have the technology. Exemple exactly what happened to the native and traiding. Eventually it weakned alot of their groups because their traditions and skill sets had to change drastricly due to european trades. Assimilation is a simple process and is not exactly bad or ethically wrong either.

At the end of the day we have no rights, nobody does.

Can we send all our prisoners there? It's worked out so far in our past history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I remember the next book in the series actual implied humans were wrong in their retaliation. Something about Ender rescuing a baby queen...
    I didn't read the next book, but I did read Speaker for the Dead, which suggested that the aliens were unaware that humanity was intelligent life, so we wiped them out despite the fact that they were unaware they were even killing people.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Can we send all our prisoners there? It's worked out so far in our past history.
    Poor Aboriginals

10+ Year Old Account
    Colonize is a strong word. I would say assimilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Colonize is a strong word. I would say assimilate.
    as long as it wasn't forced. We shouldn't attempt to whipeout a culture just because we think ours is better and they'd be better under our own. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    to destroy their world, like we have done our own?
    This planet will still be around when humanity is dead and gone. Once we are gone, any damage we've done to it will be repaired.

That's hardly what I'd call "destroyed."
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account

Nah, we should help them not destroy them. Take uninhabited continents as well.