Deleted

What's regarded the best video editing software?

Hello. I make videos very rarely and so I don't require anything fancy at all, but it came time to reinstall Sony Vegas and that got me wondering, is that still regarded the best video editing software? Since 2007 or so I've known about Sony Vegas because of pvp videos and machinimas but I've seen 'final cut pro' or something mentioned a bit and I've never had any other software by Sony. When I first got Vegas I expected it to be by Adobe or something. I just want to refresh my knowledge and standing with vegas.

What would you regard as the best/most popular video editing software? Do you agree that that software should be the most popular/do you like it?

Thanks

It is Sony Vegas as far as i know

Final Cut Pro!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sony Vegas gets work done. If you don't need effects (like After Effects), use Sony Vegas. Final Cut Pro is a b*tch to learn and if you have already used Vegas in the past, don't switch. The updated versions are much better than the older ones, but still feel very much like Sony Vegas.

The most popular editor seems to be Sony Vegas. It's fairly straight forward and easy to use. In terms of the best one, I'd go with Final Cut Pro. Most of the high end movies tend to use it and it is extremely powerful, but has quite a steep learning curve. It's guided towards professionals.

Adobe Premiere Pro is quite good, but then thing about Adobe is that most of their programs cross into each other, making them quite powerful when used together. Sony Vegas is decent all in one program, but Adobe Premiere, when combined with Adobe After Effects and even Adobe Audition, and you got quite a setup.

It's all up on what you want to do. For a simple video, Vegas is decent, but if you want to get into more effects, I'd go with Premiere Pro and After Effects. If you were thinking of going into movie making as a career, I'd go with Final Cut Pro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah same answer as others, Sony Vegas Pro. Still as good as ever for editing/rearranging clips, adding music/audio, got a decent selection of transitions/effects, etc.

Some people will recommend Adobe Aftereffects or Premier Pro but IMO those are more far advanced-level programs aimed at creating your own special effects. Very powerful, but sorta overkill for just editing videos.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

You ask for the best? Final Cut Pro. Best one for Windows is Adobe Premiere Pro. A lot of people are saying Sony Vegas and thats because 95% of people that need video editing software don't need anything more than Sony Vegas.

There is no question Final Cut Pro/Adobe Premiere are the best. But what software is the best for your specific needs is a different story, which is why people say Sony Vegas.

Final Cut Pro is apple only product which cuts it from the list of most people. Also people universally hate the changes Apple made into it to dumbify it in latest version.

Also I really don't see the fixation of pirating Adobe Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas Pro when those are (semi)professional level tools by the definition. Only very slightly clipped home user versions are available at prices that can be actually afforded by just about anybody without going for software piracy.

Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 is the home version for $50 as a retail box. Only thing that separates it from the pirated Vegas Pro are few missing import/export filters for professional level 4k cameras (like RED Epic) and few more titling effects that are missing from the pirated copy of Vegas Pro in the first place. Both the home and the pro versions have exactly same features used for all WoW boss kill movies and machinimas.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    i can vouch for sony movie studio plat 12, works well, the only gripe is the use of DivX encoding in the rendering, can use Xvid, which i found odd, but if you look at the differences between this and vegas, its as vesse says, just the 4 K rendering, now why would you need this in this current time for gaming, answer you dont, also, theres trial versions for this, just buy it legit, the vegas pro software is very expensive, if you can afford the hardware to encode with decent rendering, you can afford movie studio 12 plat

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    i can vouch for sony movie studio plat 12, works well, the only gripe is the use of DivX encoding in the rendering, can use Xvid, which i found odd
    Try x264vfw codec instead. Or Sony's or MainConcept AVC. Xvid/DivX doesn't do HD too well.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    ive used sony and main concept, good quality, however files are huge to what im using it for, im assuming if i download x264vfw codec, it will be recognised in the software or is that further post encoding

I'm not into film making or so but I wonder if Final Cut Pro really is as good as people say because it costs only 300$ on itunes. Sony Vegas Pro on the other hand costs 700$ and Adobe Premier Pro costs almost 1500$ and after effects costs an additional 1500$. If Final Cut Pro is so awesome as people say, why does it only cost 300$ and the best (as people say) one for windows 3000$ (Premier Pro+after effects)?

Is it really the best or is it only the best because it's only available on Mac? Because if it is the best out there, the makers are really dumb for selling it for only 300$ instead of selling it for 3000$ or even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    ive used sony and main concept, good quality, however files are huge to what im using it for, im assuming if i download x264vfw codec, it will be recognised in the software or is that further post encoding
    It'll be under AVI just like divx. Files are huge only if you set the bitrate high. Use 2-pass compression with 8000kbps average and 25000kbps maximum, that way you'll get pretty damn good video which is approximately 100 megs per minute.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    Sony Vegas Pro on the other hand costs 700$
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SVDVD1200.../dp/B009H9HLVQ
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Final Cut Pro and got the Apple Level 1 Certification for it. I have never used a different software but I disagree that FCP is hard to learn.

Over here in Germany it still costs the default 700€. Didn't expect that it's already discounted by over 50% in the US.