Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Time Travel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biological and chemical warfare. Out of all things, those two are among the most terrifying as well as completely man-made.

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends, the more branches of science advance at once, the better the outcome. For example, extending lifespans sounds like a bad idea, but couple that with space exploration/colonization and you have a way to accomplish one because of the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    orbital space platforms with nuclear strike capabilities. Also Karazhan revamp; I wouldn't like that.

Deleted
    Anyone who says Immortality would be good for the human race please see Torchwood Miracle Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Asics View Post
    Biological and chemical warfare. Out of all things, those two are among the most terrifying as well as completely man-made.
    I'll go with this. Especially engineered viruses (viri? ).

Hmm...that's a tough question....
    In general I'm for any kind of technological advance, and I hate when misguided ethics or paranoia gets in the way.

I don't see a need of:

- Weapons of mass destruction. Higher yield nuclear arms or more potent gasses/diseases is not really gonna help with anything. But I'm for developing weapons to become more precise so innocents can be spared. Also making non-lethal weapons more practical for law enforcement and so forth.
    - Torture instruments. I guess that some dodgy regimes or crime lords would want something that would induce more pain to make interrogation more effective. I guess I would rather see someone make a more effective truth drug if anything.
    - Anything that would steal resources from projects that's viewed in general to be more important. For example "project: use stem cells to regenerate a lost limb" vs "project: use stem cells for penis enlargement".
    - Time travel, although totally awesome as the concept we are familiar with, it might just be too dangerous for anyone to go back in time. Looking back would be fine though.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    No reading of minds
    No cloning of humans
    No curing of behaviors deemed unharmful
    I disagree.

-Mind reading if limited to between two people could be amazing.
    -Cloning brainless shells for full body transplantation would be an incredible step to destroying debilitating disease, aging, etc.
    -Eliminating psychopathy, sociopathy, and sadistic personality disorder would make the world much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    I don't see how.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I don't see how.
    Intimacy of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    On the contrary, if we would live forever it would be pointless to fight wars or such and time could be spent to better whole mankind.
    Fighting wars is already pointless, yet we do it.

Eternal life wouldn't change that.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Pretty much anything related to mind reading or mind control would be bad, and I would say we need no further progress in our weaponry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Fighting wars is already pointless, yet we do it.

Eternal life wouldn't change that.
    Oh, war often has plenty of point to it. I may need to dig up my old self-written parable about the two tribes poisoning each other's water...

Intimacy of course.
    So you would want to know every time your partner has a random thought about how much better her ex was than you in some way, or how you gross her out because of something you do, or how that thing you think she loves is something she actually hates but does it to make you happy?

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree.

-Cloning brainless shells for full body transplantation would be an incredible step to destroying debilitating disease, aging, etc.
    -Eliminating psychopathy, sociopathy, and sadistic personality disorder would make the world much better.
    Concentual mind reading is ok, but I really don't want a random person knowing my thoughts.
    I don't mind cloning organs, but cloning a whole functioning person is creepy.
    I don't think those disorders are really "unharmful" I was more trying to head of curing gayness and things of that nature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Pretty much anything related to mind reading or mind control would be bad, and I would say we need no further progress in our weaponry.
    We won't just be fighting humans forever. The better weapons we get now, the less chance you have of being shipped off to the Arcturus system on a slave ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    So you would want to know every time your partner has a random thought about how much better her ex was than you in some way, or how you gross her out because of something you do, or how that thing you think she loves is something she actually hates but does it to make you happy?
    I wouldn't mind, that uninhibited knowledge would probably make both of you strive to be what's best for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Concentual mind reading is ok, but I really don't want a random person knowing my thoughts.
    I don't mind cloning organs, but cloning a whole functioning person is creepy.
    I don't think those disorders are really "unharmful" I was more trying to head of curing gayness and things of that nature.
    If it doesn't have a brain, why would there be an issue? The technology would solve so many problems.

I don't think we should permanently alter the human genome. Treat conditions after birth with genetic therapy, sure. But I think that if we start pulling out heritable bits we don't like, we may be setting ourselves up for disaster later on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind, that uninhibited knowledge would probably make both of you strive to be what's best for the other.

If it doesn't have a brain, why would there be an issue? The technology would solve so many problems.
    Why would we need to clone an entire body if only a few organs are needed? That just seems horribly inefficient as opposed to each cloning facility focusing on specific organs.

Unless you mean somehow having us live forever by transferring our brains into the new body, which is hard to do without breaking some ethical guidelines set after the last time it was tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    We won't just be fighting humans forever. The better weapons we get now, the less chance you have of being shipped off to the Arcturus system on a slave ship.
    Touche. Now that I think about it, we should probably increase our military research budget and make all the liberals even angrier.