Deleted

Would centipede aliens use 100 base numerical systems?

Would centipede aliens use 100 base numerical systems? Or 2 base system?
    I just wonder. Also never discuss physics chemistry and mathematics over IMs or you end up creating topics like this one.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

If I had to choose one, I would say 100.

Tangent: Also, do you have a picture for us? I'm very curious if bilateral symmetry would even be a thing in most alien species.

Considering that centipeds never have 100 legs I doubt that.

they wouldnt necessarily think the same way we do. we have used more systems than base 10 btw. base 12 was also used at one point, which actually made more sense imo - it can easily be divided by half, third, and quarter as whole numbers, which makes trade a lot easier. not really much use now, though, we dont really care about partial numbers any more
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorixis View Post
    Considering that centipeds never have 100 legs I doubt that.
    Technically, "centipede aliens" wouldn't be the arthropods we know as centipedes at all, they'd be aliens with similar characteristics. And you know what OP meant in the first place.

OT: There would probably be many more possibilities depending on the aliens' specific anatomy. Are their bodies segmented like Earth's centipedes? If so, how many legs are there per segment? Do any of these appendages have hands, fingers, or other digits? Is there a clear distinction between "arms" and "legs"?
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

Deleted
    They would probably use scent based math.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    Would centipede aliens use 100 base numerical systems? Or 2 base system?
    I just wonder. Also never discuss physics chemistry and mathematics over IMs or you end up creating topics like this one.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    Ehmn

Not all human cultures have used base 10 as far as i know.. so why would the number of digits determine the base of digits :P

10+ Year Old Account
    We actually had cultures here on Earth that used base 1 (very early humans), base 5, base 6, base 8, and base 12 at one point or another.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    We actually had cultures here on Earth that used base 1 (very early humans), base 5, base 6, base 8, and base 12 at one point or another.
    Yeah well i was too lazy to google it so i just say "as far as i know" :P

What a strange thing to think about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd guess they would have something between base 2 and base ~20 depending on other, possibly anatomical, reasons. Base 100 would seem to me to have too many individual numerical symbols to be useful for writing down numbers. Really most anything past 20 or so individual digit symbols seems like it would become unwieldy.

Again assuming the numerical base has some kind of anatomical connection, I'd guess a 100 limbed bilaterally symmetrical being would have it's limbs grouped into some sort of subsets, and i'd make a guess that the digit base would be related to the number of limbs in one of those subsets.
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    What a strange thing to think about.
    You won't think it's so strange when you're desperately trying to learn base 100 while on a slave ship to the Arcturus system!

Nobody in this thread will get that joke...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    You won't think it's so strange when you're desperately trying to learn base 100 while on a slave ship to the Arcturus system!

Nobody in this thread will get that joke...
    Do you need a Mass Effect field to get the joke?

We use base 10 and we have 2 legs. Why would centipedes use 100 because they have 100 legs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Do you need a Mass Effect field to get the joke?
    Lol, it was something we were talking about in a technology thread earlier

But now that I think about it, slavers from Arcturus may have actually been a thing in Mass Effect...