Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Nintendo Won't Let Evolution (World Fighting Game Championships) Stream Melee

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-wont-let-...ium=Socialflow

Above is the article from kotaku on the matter.

To give a little background on this, Evolution held a donation drive for the last spot at this years championships to whichever community donated the most to breast cancer research. The SSBM community ended up donating over 90 thousand dollars in the donations to take the spot. The game has over 500 entrants this year too. Today, Evolution was notified from Nintendo that they will be facing legal action if the game is streamed. Evolution had to rework it's whole schedule and it's been an all out blow up on twitter with hashtags of #freemelee and #meleestream4evo . I personally think this is terrible to the people who donated so much to see their favorite fighting game on stream just for it not to be streamed.

Thoughts?

Nintendo's always had a stick up their ass about this sort of thing for some fucking reason. If the people behind the WFGC had done their research though, they'd know that the exact same thing has happened to MLG with both Melee and Brawl. So it's not like this is unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Nintendo's always had a stick up their ass about this sort of thing for some fucking reason. If the people behind the WFGC had done their research though, they'd know that the exact same thing has happened to MLG with both Melee and Brawl. So it's not like this is unexpected.
    Yeah I don't understand why Nintendo can't embrace this community for what it's worth. They are still playing melee despite the fact that nintendo has clearly stated they don't support it as a competitive game. This just takes the cake though. I hope they can reconsider for just this once.

Not a fan of how Nintendo handles things like this and the Youtube guys who post playthroughs of Nintendo games. It's really anti-fan/community, which is especially bad at a time when they need to get more people on their side to help move Wii U units. They need to cut this bullshit : /

Is 2013 the Chinese Year of the Game Company PR Blunder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Well apparently the twitter petitioning and the people who had ties to nintendo came through. Melee will be streamed at Evolution. Congrats to the smashers!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait now! Streaming back up I will literally be glued to the screen for Melee. Love to see how far the famed Mew2King goes and even my favorite Youtuber Jirard Khalil is in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Not a fan of how Nintendo handles things like this and the Youtube guys who post playthroughs of Nintendo games. It's really anti-fan/community, which is especially bad at a time when they need to get more people on their side to help move Wii U units. They need to cut this bullshit : /
    From what I've heard, a lot of Youtubers aren't suffering from that anymore and have been able to upload without a problem on more of their videos and receive the ad revenue.
    Hey everyone

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgbro View Post
    Yeah I don't understand why Nintendo can't embrace this community for what it's worth. They are still playing melee despite the fact that nintendo has clearly stated they don't support it as a competitive game. This just takes the cake though. I hope they can reconsider for just this once.
    Because Nintendo is doing poorly, they are grasping at straws. They haven't had an original thought since the 80's. They produce rubbish and they have no connection to reality anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Because Nintendo is doing poorly, they are grasping at straws. They haven't had an original thought since the 80's. They produce rubbish and they have no connection to reality anymore.
    I really hate to quote this but they are doing much better than Microsoft and Sony on the gaming front. They have only posted one loss in the last 30 years (Wii U) and that was it, outside of that they are doing much better again and as usual. Please if you're going to post about something as objective as that then don't even post, it looks bad and doesn't help you at all as a poster.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Um... do you enjoy talking out of your ass?

Pretty much everything they've done since 'the 80s' has been innovative. NES' controller gave us the + pad, a staple on controllers to this day. Gameboy made portable gaming a reality and a booming business that Nintendo dominates over 20 years later. The SNES controller? L and R buttons, now considered standard. N64? Analog controls, now considered standard. DS brought touchscreen gaming to the mainstream, Wii ushered in motion controls (and kinda sorta kicked the shit out of 360 and PS3 in systems sold) and even aspects of Wii U are widely beloved by developers (the controller, and being able to play independent of the TV). Even their games set trends. Mario 64 was the de facto standard for 3d games platform games (and was arguably not trumped until nintendo made Mario Galaxy), games like Super Metroid struck a balance between action and exploration that inspires games in this age, and the SSB series was an incredibly innovative and unique fighting game unlike your countless SF clones and wannabe MKs. And everybody and their mother has tried to copy the formula of Mario Kart.

There's a whole lot about current gaming you wouldn't be enjoying were it not for Nintendo. So at least pay them the respect of speaking out of the correct end of your body.

do they even have any legal grounds to stop it? how is it any different from people streaming them self playing?

Deleted
    Pretty funny, considering just 2-3 days ago, Nintendo said that they aren't going to lay off any of their staff even though they are doing poorly. That gave them some pretty good PR, and then they pull this and it all went down the drain.

Deleted
    This decision has already been changed.
    http://kotaku.com/nintendo-backs-dow...ming-725940804

Sounds like overzealous legal department with too little to do. I can just imagine the call that the PR department had with the legal "You told them they can't do what!?!!".

They aren't doing poorly, stop talking out of your arse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    They aren't doing poorly, stop talking out of your arse.
    "Nintendo makes second consecutive annual operating loss as Wii U misses expectations"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/42...-2012-earnings

Also this.

"During Nintendo’s annual investor’s meeting, president Satoru Iwata was asked why with Nintendo’s recent financial performance has the company not cut the number of staff."

http://www.screwattack.com/news/nint...f-staff-profit
    Last edited by mmoc40f44cec44; 2013-07-10 at 11:30 AM.

Deleted
    maybe they kinda expected to be asked...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    "Nintendo makes second consecutive annual operating loss as Wii U misses expectations"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/42...-2012-earnings
    yet nintendo still made an overall profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Also this.

"During Nintendo’s annual investor’s meeting, president Satoru Iwata was asked why with Nintendo’s recent financial performance has the company not cut the number of staff."

http://www.screwattack.com/news/nint...f-staff-profit
    im confused.. did u want them to fire people to make an extra few bucks or are you happy that even in a "bad" situation they still want to keep ALL of their staff. This is just another reason why i love nintendo.
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-07-10 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    maybe they kinda expected to be asked...
    Is this standard practice? I'm not sure how the tournaments work, but I was unaware that organizers needed to get permission to have games played by the developers.

Is this standard practice? I'm not sure how the tournaments work, but I was unaware that organizers needed to get permission to have games played by the developers.
    I am an avid follower of the fighting game circuit and no this is not common practice. If anything the developers encourage their games be broadcasted for free PR. Nintendo is the only company who who needs permission to play their games. It is ludicrous in my opinion and I'm glad whoever talked to their legal team got it straightened out. It's pretty sad that they were trying to shut down Melee from being streamed. That game has been around for like a decade ffs. If anything they should be glad this is being streamed to show how passionate smash community is and get people more hype for the Wii U version.

Deleted
    smash hasnt been used for years.. and knowing how awkward nintendo has been recently dont you think they should have asked and came up with an agreement? its actually only in the tournament because smash raised the most money for charity this year (i think).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pmgbro View Post
    I am an avid follower of the fighting game circuit and no this is not common practice. If anything the developers encourage their games be broadcasted for free PR. Nintendo is the only company who who needs permission to play their games. It is ludicrous in my opinion and I'm glad whoever talked to their legal team got it straightened out. It's pretty sad that they were trying to shut down Melee from being streamed. That game has been around for like a decade ffs. If anything they should be glad this is being streamed to show how passionate smash community is and get people more hype for the Wii U version.
    its just like the letsplay youtube issue.. since people got in touch with nintendo theyve seen that nintendo have dropped claims against users. Its about protecting the IP's and clearly they want to be in the loop with anything involving their IP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    its just like the letsplay youtube issue.. since people got in touch with nintendo theyve seen that nintendo have dropped claims against users. Its about protecting the IP's and clearly they want to be in the loop with anything involving their IP's.
    Cmon now, it's simply Nintendo being assholes. This isn't something that's really actively done by any other publisher that I can think of, and with regards to the tournament apparently it's not standard practice to ask for permission to include a game.

Nintendo is simply being stupid and kinda dicks. That's fine. It doesn't all have to be sunshine and roses with them.