Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Have you ever been riled up by a forum troll? Share your Troll stories

Share your stories. Biggest time, first time or last time you fell pray to forum trolls. Not just on WoW forums but any forums, maybe even youtube.
    Anything that got you agitated and drawn into heated debate or simply just caused you to swear that person off.

Here's mine:
    A couple of years ago I had some questions regarding my mage. I had been paying attention to the mage forums and it really felt dead, and I wanted to get an answer fast. So I made the mistake of making a mage-related post on the General forums, EU site. I can't exactly remember what the question was about, but it attracted a lot of heat. I had actually never read anything like it on the forums ever before.

A lot of people (or just a few with several alts) told me to go kill myself in very descriptive ways, and tons of other threats and curses. Not because of the question of course but because I made the post in the wrong section.

Anyway, it got me so riled up and mad. I started off explaining why I posted the post there, and how much they were overreacting to it, but after a couple of more threats I started throwing it back. I told some draenei player off and it basically rewarded me a permaban.

A few months later I wrote a sincere apology to Blizzard and got my forum rights reinstated, thankfully. After that whole experience I guess I learned how to handle that sort of stuff.
    Not sure if those people were trolls but it definitely felt like they were pushing me towards my limits to see me lose my head.

Anyone else got any interesting stories to share?

Deleted
    I've never gotten properly riled up, I'm extremely calm in real life and thus forumcrawling as well. I might think something is over the line and very rarely I speak it out loud, but even then no matter how.. rough it is I say, I say it with only the intent and no fire or fury.

Edit; 10 years ago I would've punched through my monitor about 2897 posts ago.

Deleted
    Eh, not really. I think a lot of people could mistake my liberal use of expletives for anger, but honestly IRL I'm usually laughing at the stupidity or stonefaced. At most you'll get a wrinkled brow out of me.

It takes a *hell* of a lot more than a forum to make me lose my temper.

I did get annoyed at an (ex)friend once for spouting racist bullshit over Facebook. I am no longer associated with that person. Doesn't really count as trolling though, since they believed what they were saying.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2013-07-10 at 10:17 PM.

Deleted
    I tend to reverse it on the trolls and make them mad instead, whenever anyone thinks I am offended or getting riled up chances are I am laughing thinking of what to type next to anger them further.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just laugh at it and ignore them and let them think they are being successful at trolling me. It used to get me worked up but I eventually saw the pointlessness in responding to idiots. Once in a while I'll reply back to them but I'll only reply one time very rarely I'll respond to them two times. The best weapon against trolls is ignoring them. They troll because they want the attention. If you just ignore them, then they don't get their attention and then they feel stupid and they eventually stop. Sometimes I'll reverse the trolling onto them and then THEY get all mad and irritated and they stop immediately. Trolling isn't very effective on me. Trolls are a waste of time and not worth getting mad about.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-07-10 at 10:28 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    nope, i never really get mad, in real life or on the internet. i just laugh at them and at the people who can't see they are trolling and getting mad.
    dragonmaw - EU

making threats is not trolling, neither is telling you to kill yourself or to "die in a fire"

I have a hard time holding onto anger so I don't usually get annoyed or if I do its very short lived.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Lots of people in massive denial about not being trolled. Guarantee every single person that has posted and denies it has been/is often trolled easily on these very forums. I don't know why you kids try to act 'cool' and 'better than' trolls when you know in your hearts that you get filled with rage whenever someone on the internet thinks differently to you. That isn't even trolling, that is just you projecting your inadequacy onto others.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Lots of people in massive denial about not being trolled. Guarantee every single person that has posted and denies it has been/is often trolled easily on these very forums. I don't know why you kids try to act 'cool' and 'better than' trolls when you know in your hearts that you get filled with rage whenever someone on the internet thinks differently to you. That isn't even trolling, that is just you projecting your inadequacy onto others.
    Depends how you define rage, I have certainly never "raged" online. I may have become a little cross and walked away to have 5 minutes to cool off, but rage is a little extreme.

The good trolls are subtle in their trolling and you don't know you're being trolled.

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    The good trolls are subtle in their trolling and you don't know you're being trolled.
    ^ this, this is how you do it

clever.

i just post in a thread never to re-visit, so i usualy never get to the part where i get trolled ._."
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Deleted
    1/10, too obvious.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-07-11 at 03:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    I try not to remember.

Deleted
    No, never by actual trolls who know what they're doing. Plenty of times by idiots or douchebags thinking they know better.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I ever get that riled up, I end up putting them on ignore. To date I have only done that to 1 person on these forums (debating adding another person).

But I love it when men say women are shit players and should never be allowed to play games. I let them die in the fire after they say such idiotic things, then leave :P

10+ Year Old Account
    About a year ago, there was a nice debate about global warming, here on MMOC, and some of the stuff, "some" people were saying got under my skin a little. . . so much so, that I called an old friend out for drinks, someone who actually develops climate model applications in C#.net and he helped me understand a lot of things about Global warming. So my internet nerd rage turned into a rly nice learning experience for me.

Its honestly the only time Ive actually gotten upset over an "internet post". Hasnt happened since. lots of /facepalming, but no rage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately alot of people mistake stupidity for trolling, while proper trolling is indeed a fine and subtle art.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    Unfortunately alot of people mistake stupidity for trolling, while proper trolling is indeed a fine and subtle art.
    Trolling is the fine and subtle art of imitating stupidity.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters