Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Donations on twitch is just another form of begging, oh i need donations so i can goto blizzcon this year, i need 2k for my wheelchair, i need 50k so i can drop out of college and stream full time, you have to be a special kind of stupid to even sub to any twitch streamer.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    Sorry that your job directly breaches my hobbies and entertainment. I'm sure you're very angry that i can tell you to fuck off within 30 seconds of googling "adblock plus"

But hey, that's my loss. I am losing out on malware injections.

I'm not sure why you continue to reply to me, when we both know you're an ingrate. You haven't raised a single good argument besides "u mad bro?" I guess you're trying to justify your actions to yourself after I called you out. You're not going to get under my skin, though.

When ads stop getting in the way and don't blow up my speakers I'll stop using adblock.

Maybe if there wasn't so much advertise, it wouldn't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Tell me who codes and works on the UIs and programs all of the free websites you see. Script-kiddies in their basements? Tell me who covers the news and photographs and reports from all around the world. Hobbyists? Just because they're on the Internet doesn't mean their work is any less credible, reputable or even profitable, and it's disgusting that that's your opinion of it. And yes, I think you're a horrible person, and I can if I want to, as much as you want to use Adblock.

"Shitty way to collect their income." You mean letting the public enjoy their content for free in hopes that ads will pay them is a shitty way? I didn't know. There it is. I can't wait until the entire Internet gets sub-based and all of you kids start reminiscing the days when shit was free.
    You do realize something like MMO-C is using a standard vBulletin forum setup with a (simple for anyone who dabbles in web design, easy as hell for someone who's job it is) skin and MAYBE customizing plugins (infractions) that already existed. The bulk of MMO-C's cost comes from NOTHING but servers and while MMO-C doesn't offer a subscription model, it would easily be covered by 300-400 people paying $5/mo. Not a whole lot when you see their unique visitor counts.

To anyone who makes a living streaming/youtubing (Kripp, Swifty, EMT, etc) the reality is that your typical voter IQ level person simply can't fathom how one can consider it a "job". They simply don't understand those people are satisfied with making $35-65k/year for doing something the same people bitching wish they had... a job they didn't consider a job. It's a job purely because if they stopped doing it, there goes their income. While I'm sure there is low-end streamers/youtubers, you very, very rarely see any of the "known" streamers begging for subs/donations.
    Last edited by alturic; 2013-07-11 at 04:03 AM.

I'm not sure why you continue to reply to me, when we both know you're an ingrate. You haven't raised a single good argument besides "u mad bro?" I guess you're trying to justify your actions to yourself after I called you out. You're not going to get under my skin, though.
    You don't have to get the last word. Neither of you will change the others mind.

I watch streams for fun (which is hurt by ads) NOT to fund some guy to not have to work.

Ingrate?

Leech, ingrate. Next up: hoodlum. Seriously, if you're going to go ahead and insult me, at least tailor the insult to the actual discussion / topic / things i've said. You're actually suggestion i'm not greatful for your hard work over on cracked.com? You've got it all wrong, i LOVE your articles. The one about the top 5 cowboy names had me in stitches!

Tell me who codes and works on the UIs and programs all of the free websites you see. Script-kiddies in their basements? Tell me who covers the news and photographs and reports from all around the world. Hobbyists? Just because they're on the Internet doesn't mean their work is any less credible, reputable or even profitable, and it's disgusting that that's your opinion of it. And yes, I think you're a horrible person, and I can if I want to, as much as you want to use Adblock.

There are a lot of jobs for those people that don't involve an unstable source of income with maximum amounts of anticipated risks. Just because it's possible to have a type of job does not mean it is exclusive. All those jobs are not ones that necessarily need to rely on ad-based revenue.

You can think all you want. My problem is with you saying it like it was a statement. In fact, there are probably things you do in your daily life that would make me consider you a horrible person as well. I just don't give a crap about what you think about me for not feeding your e-job.

"Shitty way to collect their income." You mean letting the public enjoy their content for free in hopes that ads will pay them is a shitty way? I didn't know. There it is. I can't wait until the entire Internet gets sub-based and all of you kids start reminiscing the days when shit was free.

Internet sub-based. Yeah right. Dream on. The Internet was never meant to be a stable source of income. Shame many people did not realize that until now. There are more ways to get money and make people happy and make it so they enjoy your content. Hint hint, it's not by spamming their faces with annoyingly flashy ads and malware injections.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    I get what you guys are saying about the intrusiveness of advertisements on screen and I'd have to agree.

However, I did mention this in my video in which I said that companies and websites are now starting to Hard Code blocking the addon. So in other words the website or video you are trying to view/watch will not let you unless you turn off AdBlock. You will get a little message that says please turn it off before you continue. I'm sure other websites are going to start to follow suit until the AdBlock is basically useless.

Also as a side note, I've never gotten malware or a virus from an advertisement.
    You can bypass these advertisements using ctrl+shift+I in chrome and knowing what to remove.

By the way, you never gotten malware or virus from an ad? You either didn't notice where it came from, or a liar. I'm certain 90% of the people on the internet have gotten malware or a virus from an advertisements. Flash is about as secure as a ziplock bag.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    You do realize something like MMO-C is using a standard vBulletin forum setup with a (simple for anyone who dabbles in web design, easy as hell for someone who's job it is) skin and MAYBE customizing plugins (infractions) that already existed. The bulk of MMO-C's cost comes from NOTHING but servers and while MMO-C doesn't offer a subscription model, it would easily be covered by 300-400 people paying $5/mo. Not a whole lot when you see their unique visitor counts.
    So people like Boubouille and chaud who work on providing the news and videos and everything WoW related on the frontpage don't deserve any salary beyond the server expense? Cool, I didn't know people with Internet careers didn't deserve to you know, live.

10+ Year Old Account
    My issue with adverts is that in their rush to make a quick buck, they take too little time to scan their clients avertisements.

If this were a case of a person contracting with a specific company to place their promotional ads on their page, I'd be all for it. But it's outsourced to "Ad companies" who again outsource to others, who make no effect to screen the ads they bring in. Before I got adblock and noscript, I was getting virus attacks DAILY, from MMOC, from Deviantart, from almost every website I visited on the web.

And the result is now I see no ads. But I no longer fear my computer becoming infected, nor my browser being crashed by crappy scripts attempting to install things on the sly.

I still watch the 30-second commercials on Youtube videos, because at least then, I am fairly certain I am not going to get the latest trojan or malware. I still follow hard-placed ads, which by and large are about a million times more pertinent to the sci/fantasy webcomic I'm reading than "SINGLE GIRLS IN YOUR AREA!!!" If these mass-marketing advert companies actually bothered to advertize things relevant to my tastes, I'd probably click-through every time. On websites with hard-placed ads to related content, I almost always do. On websites with soft-placed, mass-marketed ads, I am more than happy to ignore them and enjoy a much safer browsing experience.

But at the end of the day, it's NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY to ensure other people are making the wages they desire. If free videos with ads aren't cutting it, add a subscription or for-pay products. If the issue is simply not enough clickthroughs, but your viewer base is solid, you will likely do just fine with a more for-pay model. If your product is "meh" and your viewer base is weak, then your problem is a poor product.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2013-07-11 at 04:06 AM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Internet sub-based. Yeah right. Dream on. The Internet was never meant to be a stable source of income. Shame many people did not realize that until now. There are more ways to get money and make people happy and make it so they enjoy your content. Hint hint, it's not by spamming their faces with annoyingly flashy ads and malware injections.
    Your ignorance is astounding.

I'm not going to list it out for you here, but I want you to Google "subscription based sites" and browse what you see for a few minutes. The Internet is shifting towards that model because of adblockers. Sites like the NYT, and a plethora of other news sites.

But yea, you pretty much have proven you really don't know the subject material at hand here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care if you like the site or not. But don't tell me there aren't sites that you do like, that you frequent often. Whatever those sites are, you're just hurting them. It's being an ingrate.
    Well the solution for these companies is simple: Stop making annoying advertisements with flashing lights or malware/spyware or sound, or rollovers or popups and I'll be able to tolerate them. I don't mind the ones that sit on the sidelines and do nothing. But I don't need the ones playing loud music or installing crap on me.
    Putin khuliyo

So people like Boubouille and chaud who work on providing the news and videos and everything WoW related on the frontpage don't deserve any salary beyond the server expense? Cool, I didn't know people with Internet careers didn't deserve to you know, live.
    Ahh but you see, the differentiating factor is that I'm almost positive when the creator (don't know for sure if it was Boub) envisioned MMO-C he wasn't getting any sort of payment for it. He wasn't getting any sort of compensation for the expenses of running it. Sure when the ads started being displayed you slowly start recouping expenses but there's a little while until you actually can consider it "getting paid". In some regard, I'd actually be shocked if Chaud or any of the other news posters actually get paid. Although I'm sure with Curse owning MMO-C they certainly may now, still doubtful.

Your ignorance is astounding.

I'm not going to list it out for you here, but I want you to Google "subscription based sites" and browse what you see for a few minutes. The Internet is shifting towards that model because of adblockers. Sites like the NYT, and a plethora of other news sites.

But yea, you pretty much have proven you really don't know the subject material at hand here.

And you have proven that you are biased beyond belief and proper discussion. Calling people ingrates, leeches, etcetera. And you whinge at people for their ad-hominems? How ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    My issue with adverts is that in their rush to make a quick buck, they take too little time to scan their clients avertisements.

If this were a case of a person contracting with a specific company to place their promotional ads on their page, I'd be all for it. But it's outsourced to "Ad companies" who again outsource to others, who make no effect to screen the ads they bring in. Before I got adblock and noscript, I was getting virus attacks DAILY, from MMOC, from Deviantart, from almost every website I visited on the web.

And the result is now I see no ads. But I no longer fear my computer becoming infected, nor my browser being crashed by crappy scripts attempting to install things on the sly.

I still watch the 30-second commercials on Youtube videos, because at least then, I am fairly certain I am not going to get the latest trojan or malware. I still follow hard-placed ads, which by and large are about a million times more pertinent to the sci/fantasy webcomic I'm reading than "SINGLE GIRLS IN YOUR AREA!!!" If these mass-marketing advert companies actually bothered to advertize things relevant to my tastes, I'd probably click-through every time. On websites with hard-placed ads to related content, I almost always do. On websites with soft-placed, mass-marketed ads, I am more than happy to ignore them and enjoy a much safer browsing experience.
    I don't know if you know how typical internet advertisements work, something to the likes of how MMO-C runs their ads. They don't actually run any ads. They have a deal with an actual advertising firm and they simply copy/paste the ad code so whatever the advertising firm puts in their ad rotation you see. Now, when a client as big as MMO-C/Curse would be it's certainly possible they have a little control over telling the ad agency what they are ok with displaying but in the end it's typically outside of their control. They get paid either based on an actual click (not usually the case with a huge visitor count) or per impression which is simply the ad being "loaded" by a browser, regardless of if you actually "see" the ads, as if it was on the bottom of the page and you literally never scrolled down to the bottom.

When Ads stop trying to give me viruses, I'll think about it.
    I've whitelisted the sites I know aren't awful and thus they still get revinue.

Youtube can eat it.
    BIG CHUNKUS

I never used AdBlock until every dipshit website out there started loading 1-3 flash ads simultaneously. Fuck that noise.
    I do agree that AdBlock can make or break certain websites...but there has to be a happy medium. I'll click ads to help generate revenue for people...but stop that autoloading bullshit.

They don't force us to sit through ads.