Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I would probably say that, mechanics wise and for sheer pacing, Morrowind is probably the best of the series overall. I liked Oblivion's setting and story slightly more and I really like the streamlined feel of Skyrim. But, for the pure, old school RPG feel, it pretty much as to be Morrowind.

The game was crashing every hour or so, had the weirdest quest/dialog issues, was corrupting saves beyond repair if some mods were switched, had no script extender, had no usable magic and the most terrible combat seen everywhere. Grind, no funny dialogs, more grind. Goodbye mr. "Fatal error: Cannot find cell "Ascadian Isles Region" in dialog condition, exiting", we don't miss you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The game was crashing every hour or so, had the weirdest quest/dialog issues, was corrupting saves beyond repair if some mods were switched, had no script extender, had no usable magic and the most terrible combat seen everywhere. Grind, no funny dialogs, more grind. Goodbye mr. "Fatal error: Cannot find cell "Ascadian Isles Region" in dialog condition, exiting", we don't miss you.
    Where the hell did you found grind in morrowind ? Just curious. Also seems like most of this are personal problems rather than game issues.

Standing for hours being hit by rats or casting custom 1 magicka spells while jumping around weren't grind? Get real.

I don't think the game was designed in such a way that you have to powerlevel spells and skills manually just to keep up. Do quests, create and sell potions, and other things that earn you money and spend it on training instead.

I just started playing this game again. I've never really gotten that far in the main quest, or even finished any of the faction quest lines. The game just has so much more to do than Oblivion or Skyrim and you end up getting sidelined so much if you're not focused. I just had one of those moments that you only really get in Morrowind. Went into a tomb on the isles outside Sadrith Mora with my meager level 4 character, found a secluded passage down some caves in there which had a chest with a key guarded by a storm atronach. Had to blow some inventory things to be able to beat it. The key opened a locked door to a daedric ruin which had a chest floating over some type of forge. Used a levitating amulet to be able to reach it and inside was Skull Crusher, one hell of a powerful 1H mace. Absolutely perfect for my char since I made blunt weapon my major weapon skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Thinking of buying it again for my pc XD
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for resurrecting such an ancient thread - but I didn't want to create a separate one...

I finally started playing Morrowind for the first time, with the overhaul in the OP - and, I must say, this game is amazing! With the overhaul, it looks pretty much like modern games do; I would compare it to Witcher 2 in this regard. Not a fan of combat (this is something Bethesda games have always lacked in, IMO), but I really like how huge the world is, how much content there is. A lot of opportunities for roleplaying. I love how many things there are around for gathering/picking/stealing; feels like an actual living world, in which you can do anything you like. You can go gather herbs, hunt monsters, do quests, just explore the map, go shopping (which feels like an actual shopping, with visiting dozens vendors and buying things that actually matter - unlike most modern games, in which vendors exist primarily to sell stuff to them, since the items you find in the world are much more powerful than anything you can buy)...

I have played only for 6 hours or so so far, so I won't make any judgment or reviewing for now - but I can already safely say that I will invest, at least, a hundred hours into this game. Will play through the later two TES games as well, probably. Witcher 3 made me into a fan of open worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Holy necro batman.

Well, since i'm here, i think that bringing this out is relevant.

https://tesrenewal.com/skywind-faq

Really huge project, still going slow but steady (last update was this march) and forums are pretty active. I really hope this reaches a release state - cannot wait to see Morrowind in a more modern layout.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    And now you made me wanna replay morrowind for a....10th time ?

After fiasco of F4 it will be nice to replay a game from golden age.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    First open world game I ever played, first thing I did out of complete ignorance was run straight into the wilderness having no clue how to even bring up the map. Getting injured, running from one of those god damned cliff racers and hiding in a cave desperately trying to find my way back "home" was incredible. No game has ever been able to recreate the same adventure / feels that MW did, then again that mind blowing first open-world experience only comes along once. MW will always be one of the most definitive experiences in my gaming life.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Morrowind is such a lovely game. Aside from the clunky gameplay system, everything was magical and incredible. I still listen to the soundtrack sometimes.

yeah, the environment played a great deal. Dunno why, but Oblivion made me puke all over, and Skyrim got me back on exploring the world.

Skyrim skill tree sucks, but combat is more fast paced and generally more intuitive on how to raise your character. Also, nothing that a good mod cannot fix.

Deleted
    Im looking forward to Skywind, providing they dont reintroduce the vomit inducing combat mechanics from Morrowind. I really didnt like swinging weapons at things and having it miss because "muh dice rolls". It was the only issue I had with the entire game, everything else was top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Darzhan View Post
    Im looking forward to Skywind, providing they dont reintroduce the vomit inducing combat mechanics from Morrowind. I really didnt like swinging weapons at things and having it miss because "muh dice rolls". It was the only issue I had with the entire game, everything else was top notch.
    From the FAQ, basically they're going to make some sort of mod for Skyrim that looks for resources from the original installation (the reason why you need both games), but actually, you're playing with the Skyrim engine. this means Skyrim combat/skill trees/systems like fast travels.

And also mods i hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    yeah, the environment played a great deal. Dunno why, but Oblivion made me puke all over, and Skyrim got me back on exploring the world.

Skyrim skill tree sucks, but combat is more fast paced and generally more intuitive on how to raise your character. Also, nothing that a good mod cannot fix.
    Honestly at this point they should just completely overhaul engine and how combat works in TES and go with dark souls approach to combat. If they did that this would completely revolutionize the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly never actually played Morrowind. I got the big shiny CE version when it first released. Over the next few months I continually downloaded mods, or modded the game myself, and seemingly every other mod I installed required restarting to work right. I have probably 10 hours of playtime logged into the game (outside of steam), and have never left the starting village.

I eventually moved on, I got the expansions when they released, bought the GOTY edition on steam when it released, but I've never played it. I might have to give this overhaul a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Honestly at this point they should just completely overhaul engine and how combat works in TES and go with dark souls approach to combat. If they did that this would completely revolutionize the series.
    Both the TES and Fallout engines need a complete redo. They're just sticking bandaids onto an already woefully outdated engine at this point. One would think Bethesda makes enough money that they could use the Unreal or Unity engine to make the next game(s). Or make another engine. Or USE another engine. Whatever. The one they have is fucking crap, it was crap 10 years ago, it's crap today. Just open the CK for Fallout 4 and poke around a bit, and you'll understand the shortcuts and bullshit they had to pull off to make that game work. Seriously 90% of that game's bugs and glitches could be solved with a better engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Holy necro batman.

Well, since i'm here, i think that bringing this out is relevant.

https://tesrenewal.com/skywind-faq

Really huge project, still going slow but steady (last update was this march) and forums are pretty active. I really hope this reaches a release state - cannot wait to see Morrowind in a more modern layout.
    Skywind would not be the same as morrowind. Never mind u lose all the critical morrowind mods like lgnpc and tanriel rebuilt. The game with the overhaul is already beautiful. Skyrim is as far from morrowind as you can get.

I thought morrowind was great for its time. Skyrim has better options and combat. Smithing, alchemy, enchanting and combat is better in skyrim. Morrowind had a great story, quests and environment. I would love to play through morrowind with the skyrim engine. Actually I would prefer to play all the elder scrolls games with elder scrolls online engine.

From the FAQ, basically they're going to make some sort of mod for Skyrim that looks for resources from the original installation (the reason why you need both games), but actually, you're playing with the Skyrim engine. this means Skyrim combat/skill trees/systems like fast travels.

And also mods i hope.
    And stupid shit like unable to wear multiple layers of clothing and lackluster spell system
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    And stupid shit like unable to wear multiple layers of clothing and lackluster spell system
    Into pants shirt skirt belt l/r pauldrons. L/r gauntlet . Helm legs curiass helm boots.

Now its just boots hands legs chest huuuu . Don't even think of being a batllemage.

Limited spell syste . Even more limited enchant system

Skywind will not be morrowind only a very poor imitation.

Also fuck physic . I wish items in all yes games were static like morrowind so shit isn't exploding off shelf's and tables ruining the setting.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind needing exquisite items and higher armor for higher enchant values.

The games soul ended after Morrowind. Now they are very pretty mod playground sandboxes