Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    Sounds like this guy just REALLY wants a coke zero, and REALLY want the internet to support him on this endeavor.

There are stigmas with carbonated soft drinks that many people on this forum will spout at you; I don't know if he made this post in the effort to argue with everyone telling him 'soda is bad', or if he sincerely hoped people would say 'nah, drink up!' but after reading every reply it seems he just really wants this soda and nothing anyone says will persuade him otherwise; he always has an answer.

Someone says aspartame is bad, well, sugar is bad too.
    Someone says it makes you retain water, well he drinks enough water.
    Someone says it makes you fat, well he's losing weight.

Sheesh. His mind was made up long before the first reply.

No. I just want to know the fact. I mean most people replying here have no clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by benadryl View Post
    if the point of your life is to stay alive, you are better off dead. eat/drink shit you enjoy IN MODERATION. this culture is so off/on it's ridiculous. cut back. it's all that simple.
    Agreed. Kinda hard to enjoy shit if you're dead though.

Just saying, it would be wise to aim for an age of 25 at least before you kill yourself.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Still a carbonated soft drink, same crap.

Are you just talking about pure, physical weight gain? Because then, yeah, you're right, it doesn't make a difference. Just maintaining weight doesn't keep you alive, though.
    So you changed your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Well it doesnt make you gain weight but it increases your appetite and also has aspartame, which is terrible in large quantities. Moderation is key.
    "In addition, the Centers for Disease Control investigated in 1984 and was unable to find any significant epidemiological associations to serious risk or harm.
    Since December 1998, a widely circulated email hoax cited aspartame as the cause of numerous diseases."

overdose of water is dangerous, overdose of about anything is dangerous and sometimes an overdose just isn't physically possible.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Just saying, it would be wise to aim for an age of 25 at least before you kill yourself.
    You sometimes say the funniest things. A can of coke a week means I will die before tha age of 25?

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    It does. I find it ridiculous that people claim shit has zero calories. Like that 5-hour energy drink with 0 calories. Well for those out of the know a "calorie" is by definition a unit which measures energy lol. Coke zero does have calories and it will add to the nutrients you ingest, and if you ingest enough you will retain some of that.
    But it might have 0 calories or close to it. It may be simple water with some artificial sweeteners and coloring substances. Water does not contain calories. But it may still contribute to weight gain from different reasons. AFAIK while diet soft drinks will not provide you with calories, they still rise blood suger levels (or was it insulin?) which makes you more hungry and so you are likely to consume more calories with other food.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    No. I just want to know the fact. I mean most people replying here have no clue.
    This is a sports and fitness subforum on a larger, video game based website. Are you holding out for a nutritionist? People have given you many facts, each of which you counter because it doesn't seem to reinforce your idea that soda is fine. If you REALLY wanted to know the 100% hard facts on Coke Zero, you'd google it instead of asking for support on a forum and then snarkily replying to each post like you already knew better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you changed your mind?
    No, I simply didn't realise you were being quite so literal, seeing as living with a view that literal will mean your death.

You sometimes say the funniest things. A can of coke a week means I will die before tha age of 25?
    *sigh*

No. I drink a whole lot more than that. I'm not some health nut, what made you think that?
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by benadryl View Post
    "In addition, the Centers for Disease Control investigated in 1984 and was unable to find any significant epidemiological associations to serious risk or harm.
    Since December 1998, a widely circulated email hoax cited aspartame as the cause of numerous diseases."

overdose of water is dangerous, overdose of about anything is dangerous and sometimes an overdose just isn't physically possible.
    Not sure if 250-400 ML of coke zero a week is a overdose though.. If it's good or bad for my body is another case. But really.. What is good nowadays?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    But it might have 0 calories or close to it. It may be simple water with some artificial sweeteners and coloring substances. Water does not contain calories. But it may still contribute to weight gain from different reasons. AFAIK while diet soft drinks will not provide you with calories, they still rise blood suger levels (or was it insulin?) which makes you more hungry and so you are likely to consume more calories with other food.
    Since that's not the case for me coke zero is fine? I mean I don't get hungry of it.

you can drink mt. dews all day every day and make 25
    look at milton berle, guy smoked/drank liquor every day for 80 years

if you're unhappy with what you're eating or drinking, you are dead. moderation is all anyone needs, 1/2 or 2/3 what you think you want when you sit down to eat. when you go out partying. whatever.

when it's 105 degrees i might drink the fuck out of water. the rest of the time i don't. i was in good enough shape to play D1/FBS football on a team that won the national title in the 90s, i ran a marathon a few months ago, i'm in my 30s and can still bike/hike up a mountain as well as anyone in their 20s.

it's genes, moderation and being happy. you won't stick to your diet/lifestyle if you dislike it

Ok guys, one person has already said it as he knows the simple formula for gaining and losing weight. Gaining or bulking requires excess kcal and when cutting or losing weight you need less then your maintenance. Diet soda has no kcals, none, zero, its basically a shitty form of water that has flavor and is carbonated. Aspartame and Acesulfame have not been proven to do anything, what you read are articles posted on early findings that are not fully proven. Ever hear of eggs being bad, then good, then bad then good? Just because it was posted on yahoo or whatever or it was a SINGLE STUDY does not prove findings, until it is in an actual medical journal. Me and pretty much every other bb I know drink maybe a can or so of soda a day on our cuts, 25-35lb cuts and you know what, we keep at the correct pace because calcing macros and maintenance is all you need to know, and diet soda does not affect that one bit.

Diet soda alone will not make you fat, if you have the idea that if you drink diet soda you can eat more shit, then no. Try for at least a 75% water/25% diet soda to appease your body. Jesus people in this thread, take a class in nutrition or just do some learning about how your body handles certain macros/micros and stop spewing bullshit from your fatass chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    But it might have 0 calories or close to it. It may be simple water with some artificial sweeteners and coloring substances. Water does not contain calories. But it may still contribute to weight gain from different reasons. AFAIK while diet soft drinks will not provide you with calories, they still rise blood suger levels which makes you more hungry and so you are likely to consume more calories with other food.
    I doubt it has 0 calories. Maybe .95kcal and they say that it is zero. I don't know what the requirements are for it to be under a certain amount of calories to say zero. The nutrition Calorie really means 1000 calories, but saying that the average person should ingest 2,000,000 calories a day just doesn't sound good I guess.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    This is a sports and fitness subforum on a larger, video game based website. Are you holding out for a nutritionist? People have given you many facts, each of which you counter because it doesn't seem to reinforce your idea that soda is fine. If you REALLY wanted to know the 100% hard facts on Coke Zero, you'd google it instead of asking for support on a forum and then snarkily replying to each post like you already knew better.
    I tell them, I don't care if it's bad for my health, the question is directed to weight gain.

What replies I get .. It's not good for you, can cause cancer etc..

Really, thanks.

Deleted
    Anything going down your mouth makes you gain weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnicton View Post
    In the US, Coke Zero uses Splenda. Diet Coke uses Aspartame. Other markets may vary.
    Just looked at a can, doesn't have the splenda logo, doesn't list it in the ingredients. Diet coke has 3 variations of it, a caffeine free version, one with splenda and the normal aspartame and Ace K sweeteners.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I believe all coke products contain phosphoric acid, (its pretty much why you can use a can of coke to loosen a rusty bolt/screw) no, it won't kill you, eventually it'll start removing calcium from your body via urine, probably not enough to breakdown every bit of your calcium with just 2 cans a week, but still, why? You say you don't care about your body when you obviously do if you exercise and run a lot. But it won't make you gain weight. Regular soda like coke, mountain dew, etc won't either if you're consuming enough protein anyways.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm leaving now, back to work. Thanks for the good replies at least. Even though there's again so much different answers.

Not sure if 250-400 ML of coke zero a week is a overdose though.. If it's good or bad for my body is another case. But really.. What is good nowadays?

- - - Updated - - -

Since that's not the case for me coke zero is fine? I mean I don't get hungry of it.
    put it this way, there is no agreed upon overdose data for aspartame because as of right now, it's impossible to overdose on aspartame without directly injecting concentrated aspartame into your veins

it's a lot like caffeine. 20 years ago, caffeine stopped all calcium absorption, dehydrated you, stunted your growth, bitchslapped your heart, etc

now caffeine has a few benefits, a few negatives, neither of which amount to much, and caffeine overdose via food/drink has never happened.
    doctors are even saying now that "drinking a coke when you're sick/risk of dehydration is fine, it's not a diuretic anymore"

they're also saying that all these hyper kids aren't really that unusually hyper and it isn't sugar/caffeine's fault, it's really just parents who wanna stop kids from being kids

Deleted
    But sometimes you want something sweet, some might satisfy their thirst with a tea.. Or even chocolate or any other sweats, but I don't eat candy..
    Fruit juice.

Quote Originally Posted by morphosys View Post
    Just looked at a can, doesn't have the splenda logo, doesn't list it in the ingredients. Diet coke has 3 variations of it, a caffeine free version, one with splenda and the normal aspartame and Ace K sweeteners.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I believe all coke products contain phosphoric acid, (its pretty much why you can use a can of coke to loosen a rusty bolt/screw) no, it won't kill you, eventually it'll start removing calcium from your body via urine, probably not enough to breakdown every bit of your calcium with just 2 cans a week, but still, why? You say you don't care about your body when you obviously do if you exercise and run a lot. But it won't make you gain weight. Regular soda like coke, mountain dew, etc won't either if you're consuming enough protein anyways.
    and the water in milwaukee a few years back had cryptosporidium in it and killed a bunch of folks.
    NOTHING is safe. when you accept that and then also realize that nothing is as bad as special interest groups want you to believe, you trust your own judgement a little more. you still might walk out your door and die tomorrow. and you might live to be a healthy 100 year old. most of it is out of your control.

Coke Zero is marketed to men.. Coke Light is for women.

Yeah, but that's because most people drinking is eat for 4-5k calories every day. My calorie intake is about 20-35% less than what I burn every day and I jog for about 600 calories burned daily. It's something.
    I would be more concerned with how worried you are about it affecting your weight gain and the fact that you eat 20-35% less than what you burn when it seems like you are at a healthy weight and body fat % at the moment, thats not healthy thinking.

If you are continuing/happy with your weight loss, don't feel any changes in appetite and are getting an appropriate amount of real nutrients I think it's really irrelevant what anyone here says because you already said you don't care about the other (potential) health problems that some say come from diet products, and clearly if your body fat % is dropping it can't really be making you gain.

If you are unhappy with weight loss i would consult a physician (for your general health requirements) and a dietician/nutritionist for general food requirements (a real one that went to the 4+ years of school not the jokers at the gym) That is how you will achieve optimal health, in the safest manner possible.
    Last edited by Fostus; 2013-07-13 at 03:41 PM.