Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    Nope they were not. TCG items could not be used as ingame resources. They were like any other items that could not be traded after you logged into the game. Thats the core difference. They were items... not a currency. Read what Pardo said and see the difference.
    Tell that to all the people selling them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by sqicychiqotles View Post
    Why would you want the items if you werent paying for the game? It's not like you buy a Blizzard plush and then cancel your account and they send men to retake it. You're buying items for the game. If you're not playing the game you wont need the items anyway.
    Exactly.. and new potential players that see a sub based game with in game cash shop will go to the next game that does not have sub but only cash shop. Specially now when Blizzard has managed to create such huge negative wipe around WOW and the game loosing 1/3rd of their subs in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Every time Blizzard announces something new for the pet store we see the same threads come up about how a game with a monthly sub fee shouldn't have a microtransaction store. I get really frustrated when I see these posts because some people just don't get it.

You pay a monthly fee to be able to log in to your account and play; nothing more, nothing less.

Blizzard is a business and they have to do with that money whatever they feel will be most profitable. This can be anything from developing PvE and PvP content to developing items for the Blizzard store. The purpose of the former is to keep people subscribed to WoW and maybe even bring old people back/new people in. The latter is designed to bring in additional revenue to be able to develop more content.

The most important thing to realize is that Blizzard will NEVER make Tier Sets or any current content gear available for cash; they are not stupid enough to do that and you can mark my words that it'll never happen.

The Blizzard store is not a slippery slope, it is a smart business move to bring in more money for the company. The more resources Blizzard has, the more content they can develop and the better off we are as players.
    Peoples opinions are peoples opinions. You can say they are wrong just like they can say you are. Their is no rule saying we cannot be offended by microtransactions just like their is no rule to say you can't offer them.

I just wish the time they spent making content for them they would do it for something in game. How long did people ask for a bat mount and now the only way to get one is to buy one? I seen a rift pic with some wicked spider mount. How cool would that be? But unfortunately it would be like 20bucks that I would spend because I would have to have it lol. Put it in the game and make some ridiculous way to get it. More stuff like that in game would keep people playing longer than just logging in and having it.

Tell that to all the people selling them.
    They are still just items ... not in game currency. Unless ofc... you are ready to take a chance of buying a code directly ingame... And then you would be pretty stupid

Exactly.. and new potential players that see a sub based game with in game cash shop will go to the next game that does not have sub but only cash shop. Specially now when Blizzard has managed to create such huge negative wipe around WOW and the game loosing 1/3rd of their subs in 3 years.
    I'm sure. Just like all the other features people said would "kill" WoW. This is no different then when they announced the pet shop and people said the exact same things. You know what I saw when it was released? Every one using the items and nobody caring.
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

I'm sure. Just like all the other features people said would "kill" WoW. This is no different then when they announced the pet shop and people said the exact same things. You know what I saw when it was released? Every one using the items and nobody caring.
    Now stop exaggerating. If you want to have a debate dont talk like everyone used the Web store.

Also .. do not act like there will not be plenty of ppl that will kill the person with the Web store helmet first when they see them in BGs. Cause I have heard plenty of ppl talk about that already

Nope they were not. TCG items could not be used as ingame resources. They were like any other items that could not be traded after you logged into the game. Thats the core difference. They were items... not a currency. Read what Pardo said and see the difference.
    I read it and read it, and just don't see how you can interpret it the way you seem to be interpreting it. It's clear enough that he says he regards the use of outside resources leads to unevening of the playing field and that he regards any kind of micro transaction as being "kind of the same thing". Using outside resources to get a shinier mount or tabard from the TCG is directly opposed to the philosophy he's advocating - it's an uneven playing field of shininess - and yet it was something that had been in the game for 2 years before he made that statement.

Nothing changed with the pet store and incoming in-game store, other than the less horrible distribution of the shinies it provides.

Now stop exaggerating. If you want to have a debate dont talk like everyone used the Web store.

Also .. do not act like there will not be plenty of ppl that will kill the person with the Web store helmet first when they see them in BGs. Cause I have heard plenty of ppl talk about that already
    Let me put it this way. I saw no difference between WoW before a feature was announced and after it was released. People get up in arms about EVERYTHING. This is no different.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I read it and read it, and just don't see how you can interpret it the way you seem to be interpreting it. It's clear enough that he says he regards the use of outside resources leads to unevening of the playing field and that he regards any kind of micro transaction as being "kind of the same thing". Using outside resources to get a shinier mount or tabard from the TCG is directly opposed to the philosophy he's advocating - it's an uneven playing field of shininess - and yet it was something that had been in the game for 2 years before he made that statement.

Nothing changed with the pet store and incoming in-game store, other than the less horrible distribution of the shinies it provides.
    The trading cards could not be used as currency inside WOW. They on its own were never outside resource that you could trade after you logged into the game. Its true that they were items that were bought for real money. But real money was never currency AFTER you logged into the game.

There is a big difference. What BLizzard is talking about now is adding direct IN GAME currency that is connected to real life money that can be used to buy in game items. It opens up many different worm holes that TCG could never do.

ANY person that pays a sub for a game should not have to then load extra cash into ingame currency to buy through cash shop. WHy? Because only F2P games use currency directly connected to real money that can be used in cash shop.... Sub driven game does not need such system cause it already gets his revenues through the subs.

There is nothing complicated about this... You pay a sub fee and buy items from web store. OR you buy ingame currency for real money to spend on ingame web store items. Thats why one is called Sub based game and the other classed F2P game.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me put it this way. I saw no difference between WoW before a feature was announced and after it was released. People get up in arms about EVERYTHING. This is no different.
    I personally think this is very different. As a player that has been playing F2P game with cash store for few years... The core of the game totally changes with connecting any currency with real money. Be that in GW2 or in Neverwinter. Or even RIFT and SWTOR now. Some of them offer sub but none of those games prevents a player that has used ingame cashop to not log into the game. They might close down some content for them ore limit it. But not force anyone to pay for just loging in for wearing those items.
    be
    I personally will not be supporting WOW if they decide to add ingame shop and still expect everyone to pay sub. It simply would not be good long term model and will weaken the game for new players considering the age of the game and what is already being offered on the MMO market.

Consumers SHOULD complain if they do not like where the product is going. They are by no means entitled to have game changed to suit them, but they still SHOULD complain. If nobody complained about changes they didn't like we would be in a pretty shitty state.

I paid a monthly fee to WoW because what I got was a full game. I don't want to be paying 15$ a month for the ability to spend more money. Does it affect me what someone else has? No, of course not. But it also doesn't affect casuals if only the hardcore have orange text. Or if only the most dedicated have a cool mount or title. Bottom line is, some people don't like the business practice, I am one. That's just like, our opinion man. Doesn't make any sense to argue that it's "wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by uiemad View Post
    Consumers SHOULD complain if they do not like where the product is going. They are by no means entitled to have game changed to suit them, but they still SHOULD complain. If nobody complained about changes they didn't like we would be in a pretty shitty state.

I paid a monthly fee to WoW because what I got was a full game. I don't want to be paying 15$ a month for the ability to spend more money. Does it affect me what someone else has? No, of course not. But it also doesn't affect casuals if only the hardcore have orange text. Or if only the most dedicated have a cool mount or title. Bottom line is, some people don't like the business practice, I am one. That's just like, our opinion man. Doesn't make any sense to argue that it's "wrong".
    The problem with people complaining with this game is its only a fraction of the people who play it. why do you think blizzard doesn't "care". 95% of this game is casuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnige View Post
    The problem with people complaining with this game is its only a fraction of the people who play it. why do you think blizzard doesn't "care". 95% of this game is casuals.
    95% of the game is bots

No - Blizzard has a web store. And items there are not directly linked to real money currencies that can be used in WOW. If you don't see the difference... then I can't help you.
    guardian cub says 'hi'

Quote Originally Posted by uiemad View Post

Well Pet Store/TCG has been around since at least Wrath. I just don't understand why it's just now an issue. I can understand people not liking microtransactions. What I can't understand is why they are only getting up in arms now, as opposed to way back when TCG and Pet Store were first introduced to WoW?

The trading cards could not be used as currency inside WOW. They on its own were never outside resource that you could trade after you logged into the game. Its true that they were items that were bought for real money. But real money was never currency AFTER you logged into the game.

There is a big difference. What BLizzard is talking about now is adding direct IN GAME currency that is connected to real life money that can be used to buy in game items. It opens up many different worm holes that TCG could never do.

ANY person that pays a sub for a game should not have to then load extra cash into ingame currency to buy through cash shop. WHy? Because only F2P games use currency directly connected to real money that can be used in cash shop.... Sub driven game does not need such system cause it already gets his revenues through the subs.

There is nothing complicated about this... You pay a sub fee and buy items from web store. OR you buy ingame currency for real money to spend on ingame web store items. Thats why one is called Sub based game and the other classed F2P game.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally think this is very different. As a player that has been playing F2P game with cash store for few years... The core of the game totally changes with connecting any currency with real money. Be that in GW2 or in Neverwinter. Or even RIFT and SWTOR now. Some of them offer sub but none of those games prevents a player that has used ingame cashop to not log into the game. They might close down some content for them ore limit it. But not force anyone to pay for just loging in for wearing those items.
    be
    I personally will not be supporting WOW if they decide to add ingame shop and still expect everyone to pay sub. It simply would not be good long term model and will weaken the game for new players considering the age of the game and what is already being offered on the MMO market.
    If we're talking about items and not the currency. I pay $20 for a mount. I have to sub to use it.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by neanoa View Post
    You're ignorant if you think it'll stop at purely cosmetic stuff. You'll be seeing different sort of buffs to ingame currencies soon enough. Be that honor, conquest, valor, justice, charms - you name it.

I unsubbed today, been playing since early 2006 - and this is where I get off. It's the principle and the lack of integrity on Blizzard's side - not the current content.
    HAHAHA you make ny day Dude thank you :P and i tough my life sux lol but when i see posts like this i feel realy Important

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    ...snip...
    You pay a monthly fee to be able to log in to your account and play; nothing more, nothing less.
    ...snip...
    That used to be the case, but then the market changed. Players expect more because other games are delivering more. It is no longer enough, and Blizzard knows it is no longer enough that is why they have moved to a faster content release schedule. People pay for value. There is no value in just being able to connect, they can just connect to any number of FTP games. People pay for fun. If people don't feel they are getting enough fun/value out of their monthly sub they will quit.(as they should) For some people having an online store detracts from their fun, by making in game achievement less meaningful and store purchases more meaningful. Many people play MMORPGs because you get out of it what you put in, not what you pay in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    Well Pet Store/TCG has been around since at least Wrath. I just don't understand why it's just now an issue. I can understand people not liking microtransactions. What I can't understand is why they are only getting up in arms now, as opposed to way back when TCG and Pet Store were first introduced to WoW?
    I remember a lot of outrage in the forums with the initial pet store and every time they continued to slip down that slope afterwards.

T
    So basically, you can either pay extra money to buy cosmetic stuff outside of the game that you use in game, or you can pay extra money and then make the purchase while logged into the game. The only real difference here is that the situation you have no problem with requires you to use a web browser. When you get down to it, all the in game store is doing is adding convenience.

Let's break this down:

Old method: You pay your sub and can either decide A. I want to buy TCG mounts or B. I don't want to buy TCG mounts.
    New method: You pay your sub and can either decide A. I want to buy mounts off the in game store or B. I don't want to buy mounts off the in game store.

The only thing that's changed is where you buy it if you choose to buy it. Most people probably will continue to not buy these things regardless and will be completely unaffected by this change.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    I remember a lot of outrage in the forums with the initial pet store and every time they continued to slip down that slope afterwards.
    I must have missed all the outrage, but it's 2 expansions later and you don't hear a single complaint about it anymore which makes it seem that all the outrage was just noise and no one ultimately cared once it was actually incorporated in game. Chances are the exact same thing happens with the in game store. If it ever comes to US/EU and people actually see it, they will realize, "oh I just don't care about this I'm not going to buy anything here anyway" and move on.
    Last edited by Abysal; 2013-07-17 at 01:05 AM.

Sure about that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    ...snip...
    I must have missed all the outrage, but it's 2 expansions later and you don't hear a single complaint about it anymore which makes it seem that all the outrage was just noise and no one ultimately cared once it was actually incorporated in game. Chances are the exact same thing happens with the in game store. If it ever comes to US/EU and people actually see it, they will realize, "oh I just don't care about this I'm not going to buy anything here anyway" and move on.
    As I am sure will be the case with this. The people who are pissed enough will quit, and you won't hear from them again. The people who are pissed but not enough to quit, will just give up and say screw it and keep playing. After so much bitching on the official forums, bitching gets old and they move on. I didn't quit when they added the pet store, but I stopped collecting pets for the most part as it was no longer fun for me knowing that the most high quality pets would have to be bought. Honestly the mounts never did much for me as they are all a bit loud for most tastes.