Deleted

Is orange gear viable for end game? i.e. as a kind of transmog?

I am thinking of getting back to my L50 character in SWTOR but just want to check how "transmogrification" works in SWTOR. I have a full set of orange gear that I liked the appearance of and slotted it with various hilts, mods, enhancements etc. If I want to get into the gear grind for the end game, can I just replace those hilts, mods etc with better ones but keep the orange gear? Or do I have to switch to the specific endgame gear sets that you can buy with the various commendations?

My understanding was that you can continue to use the orange gear if you like the looks - it's SWTORs equivalent of WoW's "transmogrification" - but just wanted to check.

The armor parts of tier gear carries it's set bonus so yes. Orange gear can be end game.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you have the credits to rip out the mods, you can place any mod in any piece of customizable armor. Due to the horrible designs on most of the tier gear you rarely find anyone wearing them. Most people opt for a custom look that suits their fancy.

So in short, yes. Find the orange gear you like, pay for Augment slots, and just swap out mods as you get better ones.

Deleted
    Thanks for the quick replies. It's quite an elegant system - both in terms of allowing you to control your appearance but also your stats.

yes, I like this system; though Rift's 'wardrobes' I find far superior because it has (for 1 set) no cost at all, and one time fees for each additional wardrobe (which there are plenty of 'sets' to unlock). No ripping mods, no paying to xmog every upgrade (though ripping mods is more elegant than xmog when you are dealing with incremental upgrades).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. It's quite an elegant system - both in terms of allowing you to control your appearance but also your stats.
    I would like to add that you can also use dye modules to change the color of your armor.
    The "transmogrification" of SWTOR is pretty complete

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes...while it isn't as convenient or elegant as Rift, the system is pretty unique and probably the best overall before Wildstar launches with something similar and even more in depth. The unsung hero of SWTOR's system is the unify color toggle. It allows you to only purchase one dye to have a matching set of gear and prevent wearing a clown suit.

All tiers going forward have their set bonus tied to the armoring slot, so you can use any adaptable armor as a visual substitute for that gear.
    BAD WOLF

swtor is one ounce better more than rift. thorugh the ripping and refactoring of the mods you can actually "build" your on armor around those stats you want.

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

Also, if you get a piece of Tier gear (possibly PVP gear as well, not 100% on that) and the toon with the gear can reverse-engineer it (Aim/Cunning armor for Armormech, Willpower/Strength armor for Synthweaving; unsure if they added it for weapons), you can reverse-engineer an orange "shell" of that gear that's BoE (if I remember correctly).

So say you get a Rakata tier chestpiece on your Commando, who happens to be an Armormech. Take out the mods (because hey, you never know), and try reverse-engineering it, and you may wind up with a recipe for moddable gear that looks like that tier piece (with mod slots and all that jazz).

Again, I may be off on this, but I believe everything but the most recent tier of gear can be RE'd (the Kell Dragon stuff from NiM S&V & TFB), and once a new tier comes out, the Kell Dragon stuff should be able to be RE'd while that next tier is not, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by mstieler View Post
    Also, if you get a piece of Tier gear (possibly PVP gear as well, not 100% on that) and the toon with the gear can reverse-engineer it (Aim/Cunning armor for Armormech, Willpower/Strength armor for Synthweaving; unsure if they added it for weapons), you can reverse-engineer an orange "shell" of that gear that's BoE (if I remember correctly).

So say you get a Rakata tier chestpiece on your Commando, who happens to be an Armormech. Take out the mods (because hey, you never know), and try reverse-engineering it, and you may wind up with a recipe for moddable gear that looks like that tier piece (with mod slots and all that jazz).

Again, I may be off on this, but I believe everything but the most recent tier of gear can be RE'd (the Kell Dragon stuff from NiM S&V & TFB), and once a new tier comes out, the Kell Dragon stuff should be able to be RE'd while that next tier is not, and so on.
    Unfortunately the consistency is lacking in this department though they may have "fixed" it when they removed some of the armor sets?!

While ripping out mods may be not liked, it gives the opportunity to mod out alts very quickly without going through the same gear grinding process everytime one of your alts reaches max lvl. Now they just have to get rid of the gear grind process required to get a maxed out armor set as the standart drops/ exchange piece come with horrible mod configurations which extend the "gear grind" unnecessarily though proves to be a good indication if someone understands his class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    The unsung hero of SWTOR's system is the unify color toggle. It allows you to only purchase one dye to have a matching set of gear and prevent wearing a clown suit.
    Best button ever.

Now if they would just do something about those parts that stubbornly refuse to change color. Like when your flashy new purple outfit keeps the same brown pants pockets before and after the dye is added.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahfireworks View Post
    Best button ever.

Now if they would just do something about those parts that stubbornly refuse to change color. Like when your flashy new purple outfit keeps the same brown pants pockets before and after the dye is added.
    Yeah I have a helmet that refuses to adhere to my blue/black dye scheme and instead, stubbornly persists in being blue and white which is a real buzzkill for my outfit.

I'm a blue skinned, black haired Chiss BH rocking blue/black dye, with the lightning gur mount, with a blue/black crystal in my blasters. I feel awesome when running around like that. The helmet totally fails me.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a similar issue with my gauntlets and pants having a weird lime green piece where lime green is no where present on the 2 chest pieces I swap between (Scoundrel's Shirt & Sniper Jacket).