Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

A fight breaks out - do you intervene?

So I was just over the shop getting something cool to drink that isn't beer when some kids (probably ~15-18 years old) are chucked off the bus by the driver for fighting (evidently - I don't think they live around here and he stopped his bus a bit further down the road to cordon off the back seats - presumably for blood because one of them had a bloody nose)

As soon as they're off, they start shouting at each other; on one side is ~3 boys and 4 girls, the other group is just 2 older looking guys. I can still hear them bickering from inside the shop but can't really make out actual words. Then some of the girls start screaming and the shouting gets a bit louder. Head outside with my drink, followed by the shopkeeper who's going for his fag break and a fight looks to have broken out; the 2 older fellas are beating the crap out of one of the smaller dudes while all the girls and his other 2 guy pals are just standing back - his t-shirt was ripped and everything, so we both ran over and dragged him into the shop away from the fight so he could call his parents - the 2 assailants ran off down the road shouting shit like "next time we see you, you're dead!"

What struck me though is that there were like 8 adults all standing around the street just watching this going on and they did nothing. What the fuck?
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2013-07-13 at 06:25 PM.

Deleted
    I'd probably not intervene. No use getting involved in a fight and risk getting injured for someone I don't know. Had it been a friend on the other hand, maybe but I'd still get injured. :|

people are usually scared or lazy to intervene, or lack the ability to do so. dont forget not everyone knows to break a fight or is capable of doing so and might end up getting beaten up.

if you cant break up a fight, unless its something like a guy beating on a girl better call for help or stay away. another option is to get the bystanders involved. ive never let a fight happen/continue around me, but then again i can easily take on your average Joe.

I get popcorn and yell "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!", optionally, I yell "MORE BLOOD!".

Fag break lol

If I don't know or care about the people involved why would i risk myself getting hurt to help them?
    Last edited by Sarix; 2013-07-13 at 06:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    probably not, i did once back in school, ended up getting my gum cut!
    dragonmaw - EU

Nope. Broke up a fight, ended up getting sucker punched from behind by one of participants.

Done it quite a few times. Brighton on Friday nights can be a little rough.

Never been hurt from it.

It all depends really, sometimes when you think you might be helping you will make matters worse, in your case you took what appeared to be a victim, into a safe place. Which is of course a good idea, however, how do you know they are the victim? If there is any outcome of the assault, getting involved could cause you more grief than its worse, and since you are near, i assume your local corner shop, the assailants now know roughly where you live. You might not be bothered, on the other hand if you have a family, pets, nice car, nice garden, it just shouts for further repercussions.

Depending on your location, there may be threat of weapons being involved. You don't know how other bystanders might respond if you get involved. You don't know how cops will react when you get involved and are seen on scene involved in the scuffle. What has turned from a few people having a scrap, could easily turn into a small or even large scale disturbance very very quickly. Especially in current circumstances, hot weather + alcohol + local territorial morons = trouble.

As for people standing around watching, many reasons for this, mainly shock, and/or fear of injury themselves. Perhaps a brief second to think, would I get harmed? would they be grateful? As well as being aware of your surroundings and who else is nearby.

As an excop I have seen many "heroes" doing what they think is good, only for it backfire by siding/helping the wrong/right party.

Under these circumstances, absolutely. But it also comes down to context. If a knife fight breaks out and I'm standing there like a doof with my fists out...well...that's rather pointless. If something I couldn't help started I'd most likely call the cops.

Deleted
    Here's my own years long experience as someone having been bullied:

When you're being bullied, or when you get in a fight with a bully...

...the worst person isn't the bully.

The worst people are the people standing in a circle around you. Either they're cheering the bully on, or they're doing nothing. Either way, they're hurting you more than the actual bully.

This applies to what someone might call "normal fights" as well.

The worst people are the ones looking on, doing nothing. They're the worst of the worst.

I don't think I would have a choice personally. I think I'd have to step in. I'd be scared shitless to do so, but I don't think I would have to.

Deleted
    I would intervene if someone was being mugged or raped or whatever, but I am not risking getting my teeth kicked in in order to break up some random scuffle. You also need to consider the legal side of things, often they can press charges of assault against you.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I would intervene if someone was being mugged or raped or whatever, but I am not risking getting my teeth kicked in in order to break up some random scuffle. You also need to consider the legal side of things, often they can press charges of assault against you.
    This. I saw a fairly bad fight break out between two girls and their dads at a fire works show last week. Shit is none of my business, and really what looks like a fist fight could easily escalate to something far more dangerous. I'm sorry, but I am not going to potentially risk my life or the safety of those I'm with just because some girl called another girl a hoe. I calmly waiting until the fight left the path me, my wife, and mother in law where taking then walked right on by without a second thought.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    This. I saw a fairly bad fight break out between two girls and their dads at a fire works show last week. Shit is none of my business, and really what looks like a fist fight could easily escalate to something far more dangerous. I'm sorry, but I am not going to potentially risk my life or the safety of those I'm with just because some girl called another girl a hoe. I calmly waiting until the fight left the path me, my wife, and mother in law where taking then walked right on by without a second thought.
    I actually knew a guy that stopped a man from hitting a women in the streets, when he laid into the bloke the woman went crazy and attacked him, turns out it was a husband and wife spat and the wife would rather side with the abusive husband than a protective stranger. If they had pressed charges on him he would have had no defence at all, luckily he ran off.

I thought it was going to be the group of 6-7 kids attacking the other 2... but if the other 2 had the balls to fight the group and their FRIENDS DIDNT STEP IN TO HELP THEM, then I certainly won't.

If someone pulls a weapon, or it starts getting serious, then yeah, I'd step in to help...

But like it or not, sometimes people deserve to be beaten.

For all I know, the guy getting beaten could have raped their sister the previous night or something.

There are situations where I'd be the first to jump in to help, but from what I read, this prolly isn't one of them.

Shit is none of my business, and really what looks like a fist fight could easily escalate to something far more dangerous. I'm sorry, but I am not going to potentially risk my life or the safety of those I'm with just because some girl called another girl a hoe.
    Really ? If it escalated to where people's lives are in danger, thats EXACTLY the point I'd be willing to risk mine. If people get their fists bruised and their noses bloodied over namecalling, thats all well and good.... but the moment another life is endangered regardless of how 'trivial' the reason you feel it is, it becomes any decent human beings obligation to stop them.

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything... and all evil needs to win is for good men to stand and do nothing.
    Last edited by Halicia; 2013-07-13 at 08:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes as long as there are no weapons involved. I would try to resolve it peacefully though

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. If knives or weapons are involved, hell no. Otherwise, I would try to calmly talk them to stop. Don't go between the fighters with your hands up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Vigilantism is a crime.
    Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I actually knew a guy that stopped a man from hitting a women in the streets, when he laid into the bloke the woman went crazy and attacked him, turns out it was a husband and wife spat and the wife would rather side with the abusive husband than a protective stranger. If they had pressed charges on him he would have had no defence at all, luckily he ran off.
    The lesson here, i think, is NOT to get physically involved in a domestic dispute. Call the cops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Vigilantism is a crime.
    Exactly what about what he posted is vigilantism?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    I wouldn't get involved and would probably just try to get as far from them as possible..