Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

A neighbor gave his life, to defend a convicted sex offender.

So - I'm sitting here, wondering exactly what occurred and why;

Looking at the article in question it gave very few details, but did paint a scene in which a convicted sex offender (Francis Cory-Wright) Was being assaulted by a convicted murderer on day release (Ian John McLoughlin).

During the assault a neighbor of Francis Cory-Wright (Graham Buck) came to his defense, and gave his life to beat the attacker off.

Francis was hospitalized, but is expected to make a recovery - but all i can question is, why?

I understand that he was a sex offender, who indecently assaulted a young boy - but his time was served his *debt* so to speak was repaid to society, and i have no clue why a person he most likely never met would gun for him and senselessly murder another innocent - on his day release also...

-

I believe in rehabilitation, as it's shown to be overwhelmingly effective for the majority of cases in certain countries.

But my question i suppose, to this moral dilemma is - would you defend a neighbor who was a convicted sex offender? But for all intents and purposes had been reformed and had lived the rest of there life quietly, and without incident.

The article in question;

A "dangerous" man being sought by police probing the death of a man killed protecting a neighbour, was a murderer on day release.

Ian John McLoughlin, 55, is wanted over the death of Graham Buck, 66, in Little Gaddesden, Hertfordshire, on Saturday.

Mr Buck was protecting Francis Cory-Wright, who indecently assaulted a 10-year-old boy in the 1970s.

McLoughlin is 22 years into a 25-year sentence for murder, Hertfordshire Police said.

He was currently serving his sentence at the Category D HMP Spring Hill, near Aylesbury.

Detectives stressed Mr Buck and Mr Cory-Wright were neighbours and "not connected in any other way".

Mr Cory-Wright, who is in his late 80s, was jailed for 30 months in 2011 for assaulting the boy.

The former Lloyds underwriter is currently being treated in hospital for injuries he sustained during the attack.

It is understood Mr Cory-Wright and McLoughlin know each other from prison.

A police spokeswoman said: "It is believed that the victim has been murdered after coming to the aid of a neighbour."

Det Ch Insp Martin Brunning, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire major crime unit, said: "We are continuing to treat the death as murder.

"We urgently want to speak to Ian McLoughlin in connection with this offence."

He is described as white, about 6ft (1.8m) tall, with straight, greying, collar-length hair and of average build.

He is believed to have been wearing sunglasses, blue jeans or three-quarter length trousers and a dark blue, light blue and white checked short-sleeved shirt with a button-down collar.

Anyone with information has been urged to contact police or Crimestoppers.

Dave Watson, a local landscape gardener, said Mr Cory-Wright had "gone through a lot in his life".

"I think Graham had been a good neighbour to Francis and was looking out for him like a lot of people would do around here," he said.

Extra patrols are being carried out in the area surrounding the murder scene.

Before Mr Cory-Wright was imprisoned, St Albans Crown Court was told the abuse had taken place over a summer when he took the boy into the countryside to go shooting and fishing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-23314018

-

I know this is a controversial issue for some, but i'd appreciate it if people would keep a cool head.
    Last edited by mmoc1aca3196c5; 2013-07-15 at 03:34 PM.

Deleted
    There are to many who wouldn't hesitate to ignore the laws in order to hurt someone else who have done something bad and already been punished for it. People who assault convicted criminals somewhat imagine themselves as heroes with a justified cause and that the law shouldn't apply for them.

But yes, I would defend the person.
    Last edited by mmoc0f3a9627b3; 2013-07-15 at 03:17 PM.

Did he previously know he was a sex offender? And were they friends as well as neighbors or was it just the case of "That old man next door is getting attacked, I'll help him." ?

would you defend a neighbor who was a convicted sex offender? But for all intents and purposes had been reformed and had lived the rest of there life quietly, and without incident.
    If this were true, and I had a way of knowing for a fact that this were true, then I would defend him the same as I would defend any other person. Why wouldn't you, when the monster who assaulted the child no longer exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    --SNIP--
    Um, lemme sort this out. A man died for protecting a known sex offender. Um. Is this under the US legal system?

This is the stuff of my nightmares, that keeps me from sleeping properly. My ex didn't go to jail for anything he did to me, he went for an historical sex-assault reason, which I don't think he was actuallyl guilty of (as much as I hate him) because her accusation simply made no sense.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-07-15 at 03:40 PM.

Convicted sex offender being bashed? I couldn't just stand there and watch it, my concience would never let it go.
    I hate seeing people get hurt.

The murderer was probably an MMOC poster looking for justice

Jokes aside, I would probably treat him like any other neighbour. I can't say though whether I would defend anyone in a situation where my life would be threatened.

I notice that race is only a factor in reporting that the perp was white. What if the perp were from east Africa, and was blacker than the ace of spades?

I wouldn't risk my life for a neighbor, maybe that sounds bad but what I would do in a situation where I saw or heard something like that would be to go inside and call the police immediately. Guns are rare in my country so I would pop my head out the window and yell that I had called the police, likely scaring this guy off. Perhaps even throw things at him. But no, as a 5'6'' tiny ass girl I wouldn't jump into any fight for someone I didn't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    My question is why the hell is a convicted murderer out on day release?

Yes I would defend an 80 year old person sex offender or not.

If I knew he was a sex offender, I wouldn't stop anyone from kicking his ass a bit, but I would stop them killing him.

Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    I wouldn't risk my life for a neighbor, maybe that sounds bad but what I would do in a situation where I saw or heard something like that would be to go inside and call the police immediately. Guns are rare in my country so I would pop my head out the window and yell that I had called the police, likely scaring this guy off. Perhaps even throw things at him. But no, as a 5'6'' tiny ass girl I wouldn't jump into any fight for someone I didn't know.
    Are you allowed those little banger firecrackers? Those are great for making bums think that a gunfight is going on, and they shoudln't be where they are (under your window).

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally wouldn't step in to save some scumbag like that, he hasn't repaid anything, that's such bollocks, even if he didn't re-offend he still fucked someones life up by abusing them.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRaccoon View Post
    Are you allowed those little banger firecrackers? Those are great for making bums think that a gunfight is going on, and they shoudln't be where they are (under your window).
    Pretty good tip, I'll keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Everyone needs a 2nd chance.

On Saturday I went to a "Celebration Of Life" for one of my neighbors. He had died back in May due to cancer. It's now just his wife and two adult children and yes I would protect them as they are extremely nice. In this day in age where it seems every neighbors are bad it's been nice to have good ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I don't really know why the murderer would basically reconvict himself for life just to kill this sex offender of 43 years ago -- and kill an innocent to do it

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't defend my terrible neighbors regardless of their backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I personally wouldn't step in to save some scumbag like that, he hasn't repaid anything, that's such bollocks, even if he didn't re-offend he still fucked someones life up by abusing them.
    Because you should never, ever, ever, be forgiven for something you did. Ever. Even after you paid a price for it. Got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRaccoon View Post
    I notice that race is only a factor in reporting that the perp was white. What if the perp were from east Africa, and was blacker than the ace of spades?
    Why are you trying to fit racism issues in to a place where they have no business belonging? What if he were a purple space monster from the 15th moon of Gleise 581 g? That makes as much sense as your racist question.

Anyway, good on Mr. Buck, who gave his life to save another human being. He should be regarded as a hero for that act, because it was completely selfless. The past of the man he saved holds no bearing on anything, just questioning that aspect of it makes me think that a lot of people here would have just been bystanders if they were at the incident, in other words, completely useless.

It's tragic that he died, but that's just the way of the world we built. People do terrible things and others suffer because of it.