Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Very very little in WoW is an original game mechanic. Phasing is one of the few I can think of.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    Yeah, Pokemon had pet battling before WoW did!

Which itself stole the concept from people who collect insects in real life and added fighting which is also something that already existed in it.
    Exactly!

Though I must say, I much prefer WoW's battling system, actually. Not only does it of course look better, but it takes a lot of the face-planting-into-desk out of the game. Pokemon Crystal made me ragequit Pokemon. -.-
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by hambadger View Post
    I find it overwhelmingly funny how so many hated on the mmorg Rift. Yet just a few years after it's release, almost all it's features have been added into WoW. Everything from LFD, LFR, mass looting, scenarios, and now even proving grounds. Rift not only had these systems first, they were/are still very fun. I'm just finding it funny to see so many Rift haters, then the same people qq till it's features are put into play. I'm just tired of seeing all the hate toward other very good mmo games, and then the WoW community being complete hypocrites. While I still enjoy WoW and the changes....The community is very poor to say the least.

Who the hell cares? MMORPGs steal features from each other all the time. If WoW has it, Rift is likely not the first to use it in some way.

Now if only WoW would "steal" player housing from these 'other games'..

It's amazing how WoW copied LFR from Rift when Rift doesn't even have a LFR feature yet. Nice little time machine they have in Irvine, I guess.

edit: And I guess I'm one of the few who still remembers the early anti-LFD rants in Rift. You know, the ones from people who said LFD was the reason they left WoW and if Trion ever added it to Rift they would quit.
    Last edited by SamR; 2013-07-15 at 04:51 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Very very little in WoW is an original game mechanic. Phasing is one of the few I can think of.
    This Blizzard has always taken whats been successful in other games and applied it to Wow. Startup games just can't compete with the 8 years Wow has had.

Rift has LFR?

Also I play Rift and never heard of a Proving Ground type thing in Rift.

Deleted
    In any case : Simpson's did it !! Simpson's did it !!

I find it overwhelmingly funny how so many hated on the mmorg Rift. Yet just a few years after it's release, almost all it's features have been added into WoW. Everything from LFD, LFR, mass looting, scenarios, and now even proving grounds. Rift not only had these systems first, they were/are still very fun. I'm just finding it funny to see so many Rift haters, then the same people qq till it's features are put into play. I'm just tired of seeing all the hate toward other very good mmo games, and then the WoW community being complete hypocrites. While I still enjoy WoW and the changes....The community is very poor to say the least.

My gripe with Rift was that it actively poked at WoW. Who here remembers the "You're not in Azeroth anymore." Advert.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

10+ Year Old Account
    Most WoW players might be like me. We don't hate Rift. We just don't care, at all.

So many games have copied WoW. From MOBAs to MMOs from RTSs to shooter games. Where were you to point that out back then? It seems like, although you still like/play WoW or w/e, you are the WoW hater here. Mass looting was highly demanded by the playerbase. Imagine it "We are sorry to announce: Mass looting will not be added to the game because Rift already has it."

About LFD, I believe that one was here before Rift was even announced. About LFR. Rift and all other new MMORPGS gotta thank Blizzard for inventing the raiding system WoW has so other games can copy it in the first place.

Wait a minute, a MMO copied a feature from another MMO? OH MY GOD! STOP THE PRESSES! hahahaha get real, it happens all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    all games take good features off other games, nothing wrong with that really. if a feature is going to make the game better, why not add it?
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it overwhelmingly funny how so many hated on the mmorg Rift. Yet just a few years after it's release, almost all it's features have been added into WoW. Everything from LFD, LFR, mass looting, scenarios, and now even proving grounds. Rift not only had these systems first, they were/are still very fun.
    WoW had a dungeon matchmaking queue system in Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Cynical- View Post
    Rift has LFR?

Also I play Rift and never heard of a Proving Ground type thing in Rift.
    Now that you mention it...

...Rift doesn't have an LFR. It also doesn't have proving grounds.

Deleted
    If you ask me, they should all (not only blizz) start to copy from other games.
    I have played 5-6 mmos so far I think, and every single one of it has something that would be really great, and should be in wow (or your favorite mmo you play)

open quests, armor graphic, world pvp of warhammer online
    guild city, great graphics, finishers of age of conan
    transmogsystem, dimensions, guild dimensions of rift
    lothro and the housing
    the dynamic quests of gw2, as the max level pvp and the character editor
    same goes for swtors character editor, the great questing, and the companion system.
    just to write down some of the things that come to mind. And of course I dont mean to just copy it. There should be improvements.
    Housing is boring as hell, but combine it with massive quest system, solo and guild szenarios, daily and weekly quests, a guild raid, and stuff you guild can work to (guild mounts, guild smith to craft armor and shields with the guild symbol on it)
    I am not sure if everything would work in one single game for everyone. I would be absolutely happy to see the stuff in wow (because i am a fan of the wow lore and the background, and I really enjoyed playing all that games)

WoW has never been a revolutionary.

Most other games have much better standouts - whether it be customization, combat, story, graphics, whatever.

What WoW does do though is that it takes all those things and averages them out to a very high, very polished level. Always has.

The biggest thing WoW offers that other MMO's don't is a heavy reliance on platformer mechanics for raiding. WoW raids typically have a lot more going on than most and really shine because of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Now that you mention it...

...Rift doesn't have an LFR. It also doesn't have proving grounds.
    lol, that's funny now.

Problem is most people come here, see the OP, ignore all the posts and go on with their merry lives saying "lolz dude I read on some forum that wow copied everything since tbc from rift, what a fail lolz".

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    lol, that's funny now.

Problem is most people come here, see the OP, ignore all the posts and go on with their merry lives saying "lolz dude I read on some forum that wow copied everything since tbc from rift, what a fail lolz".
    Why do i want to hate you for saying that, but i cant because its the most likely scenario to happen? :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Deleted
    I also find that observation interesting.

Most true MMO fans want a healthy choice of quality MMOs out there. For some reason the Wow community doesnt see it that way.

Personally i liken Wow players to football team fans. People who can only find room in their heads to love one football team (one game). Football fans will AUTOMATICALLY hate on any other football team. Theyll vocally abuse all other football teams even before they have watched them play. A true football fan would never admit that his rival team actually plays great and exciting football, they must maintain the opinion that every other football team sucks and they can NEVER be better than your team. Even when your team loses to a rival team a true football fan must find 'real' excuses to explain away why the other team won.

Just because your favourite football team pulls the largest crowd to every match that doesnt mean that your team is the best team in the league...