Poll: Please pick up to 3 of your fav. lock playstyles/specs

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Favorite Lock Playstyle(s)

Hey guys, just wanted to go through the different expansions and popular specs (from what I can remember), and seeing which warlock specs and playstyles you guys enjoyed. I omitted Vanilla since aside from SM/Ruin, there really wasn't a defining spec as far as I remember.

Please pick up to 3 choices.

MoP and Wrath all specs

BC 5 dot rotation by far. Current demo. 0/21/40 for what it was and what warlocks were, at that point in game.

Favorite Lock spec of all time was Drain Life Affliction in Cata, though obviously that was kind of a brief niche.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demo in wrath was a lot of fun imo, but overall i have to say Aff in BC.. it was like juggling chainsaws.. So much fun and depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

10+ Year Old Account
    When MoP beta first came out playing the redesigned Demo and Destro specs gave me erections.

Deleted
    Affliction, except when sac succy was king by a huge amount.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved affliction in TBC and wotlk, I don't enjoy it much nowadays. To few dot's really :P
    WotLK demonology was also a lot of fun IMO.

And then i'd say the current destruction playstyle, demo isn't too bad though.

Who voted for Cata destro? In what world was IMPROVED SOUL FIRE enjoyable? It had more DoTs than affliction, the warlock's designated DoT spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliolord View Post
    Who voted for Cata destro? In what world was IMPROVED SOUL FIRE enjoyable? It had more DoTs than affliction, the warlock's designated DoT spec.
    Oh, you just hard casted a Soul Fire to refresh ISF? Here, let me give you a proc.

Looks like the MoP playstyles are popular.

Deleted
    1. Vote [AFF]WotLK, 5 Dots

That was the time when I started raiding more seriously and only played affliction. I noticed that I got better and better with each encounter. Slowly switching to hotkeys from clicking, improving my UI and lurking on forums to get state-of-the-art knowledge on affl locks. And it was so rewarding. Started climbing the DPS meters in 25-mans and squeezing that little extra dps out of affli when I figured out stuff like applying one stack of improved shadowbolt and haunt before dotting (obvious, yeah, but I felt like I discovered the law of gravity back then). Yeah, those were the times...major e-peen show-off on patchwerk with other locks, but be careful not to over-aggro! Aggro managing was a real thing back then. Locks were begging to have a reduced cd on soulshatter (was 5 min or so).
    3.1 ruined the specc for me. Critting dots are cool, but losing immolate and siphon life in turn...meh

2. Vote [DESTRO] WotLK

Well, huge crits, lot of aggro and one-shotting stuff. Was my favorite specc after 3.1

3. Vote [CATA] Demo

Most people hated it, because of MWC snapshotting, but I loved it. Doomguard was a boss with MWC buff, like an additonal damage dealer. Loved the HUGE shadowbite crits, the pet swapping (so much macro management), the shadowbolt spamming during meta (demonic slash is such a lame mechanic). Now demo is okayish, still feels weird though, but that probably is just me.
    Last edited by mmoc5bfced0b8a; 2013-07-15 at 09:11 PM.

Deleted
    I loved the wrath 5 dot juggling, later wotlk and cata were also great. Might even go with the tbc affly but damn that was too long time ago for me to clearly remember.

Wish mop revamp never happened. RIP affly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting poll!

Didn't play Warlock enough in TBC & Wrath to have much of an opinion on them. I played Affliction, and I enjoyed it, enough so that when I rerolled late Wrath I made Warlock my new main, but I had little time to play it at max level before Cata changes came. Cata was allright, played all 3 specs, prefered Affli still. Mists was great I feel. Love the new Affliction, and have grown fond of Destro how it currently is. I like Demo much better these days too, compared to the clunkiness of Mastery snapshotting in Cata.

To be honest though, I always kinda prefer the new versions of things. I like change to a degree, so if you ask me this question in the next expansion I'll probably prefer the way the specs play then, compared to now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll have to go with Destro in Cata, specifically Destro during DS though, and only for PvE. That was the point in time when I was the most skilled, getting top 10 ranks on most fights. I had been playing Destro in Cata since T11, and I was one of the few locks that always went back to Destro when I could. During progression I'd only swap when another spec was clearly better and then I'd always swap back during farm content. So naturally by DS, I was one of the few locks that had played Destro all the way through Cata and as such was pretty damn good at it. I was also one of the few locks that could prove people on the forums wrong when they claimed that Destro sucked. Woot Woot.

For PvP I think it would have to be either Cata style Affliction or MoP style Destro in RBGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Besides working around UVLS procs i think MoP Demo is pretty enjoyable to play.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

i enojoy the current affli-specc, also demo, i dont even mind the high uvls-dependence, aslong the rnd isnt to bad

Voted Cata Demo for best actual Warlock spec. That CD stacking, some of the most insane burst potential a class has ever had, period. Also, classes with high skillcaps are always fun to play.

Voted MoP Aff, mostly because this is THE direct evolution of the Cata Shadow Priest, and exactly what SPs should have been in MoP. Instead they took all of the SP spells and gave them Warlock names, better scaling and perfect synergy between Haste and Mastery.

Voted TBC SB spam, just because I have been playing it on a TBC private server, and seeing high Crits is fun
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by Melonemelo View Post
    3. Vote [CATA] Demo

Most people hated it, because of MWC snapshotting, but I loved it. Doomguard was a boss with MWC buff, like an additonal damage dealer. Loved the HUGE shadowbite crits, the pet swapping (so much macro management), the shadowbolt spamming during meta (demonic slash is such a lame mechanic). Now demo is okayish, still feels weird though, but that probably is just me.
    I liked it too. My friends all thought I was weird when I ranted on about petswapping, and my friend could not understand for the longest time why I nearly refused to give up MWC......and while demo is currently VERY different, I still love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i voted for wrath destro / cata aff... strictly from a pvp perspective tho. :/

MoP Demo and MoP Destro. I kinda enjoyed Cata Demo as well, but it was clearly an over-complicated playstyle in dire need of a revamp.
    Yak. Yak never changes.