should i get a sound card for the headphones?

i plan on getting the Audio Technica ATH-AD700.was wondering if i should get a soundcard and if so what would u suggest?

headphones-http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A.../dp/B000CMS0XU

motherboard-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131790

you can try and run them with the on board sound and see if you like the quality. Cant really suggest a sound card without a budget.

If you want a great audio experience get the Asus Zonar STX

If you game and still want a great sound card get the Asus Zonar Phoebus

Both of those sound cards have amps in them to drive up to 600ohm headphones. The phobeus is just geared more towards gamers.

I cant really suggest a soundcard for under 100 as i have no experience with them but from what i remember reading was that anything ASUS was good at that price point as well.

Hope this helps some. I'm off to class. Will check back later today

Cheers,
    Jiambi
    My new baby
    CPU: i5-3570k @4.1 Cooler: H-100 MoBo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 RAM: 16Gig Mushkin Blackline 1600 SSD: Crucial M4 128 HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB GPU: MSI 7950 OC @ 925/1375 Case: CM Storm Trooper PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold

i defiantly don't wanna spend over $150 on a sound card.i game mostly don't listen to music a lot i do watch some netflix.i play mmo's with a mix of fps/action/rpg's.

Deleted
    Just run them without a sound card and see what you think first.

If you decide to get a card I'd get one of these:

Asus Xonar DSX $50
    Asus Xonar DGX $30

Check the difference/comparisons here

Deleted
    I use a simple Asus DG (20$) with my Sennheiser's, it was a good improvement over onboard cause of the headphone amp & it drives up to 150ohm

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Like everyone else suggested, get whatever Asus Xonar fits your budget. I love my Essence STX + Unified Xonar drivers. I used to be of the mindset that you should get an external USB DAC, but USB Audio has always been kind of flaky while PCIe audio used to be, but not anymore.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeh, Asus is a safe bet and easy on the budget I have Sennheiser headphones also.

ty for ur input ppl.i will def try the asus if i decided to get a card seems reasonable

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Just run them without a sound card and see what you think first.

If you decide to get a card I'd get one of these:

Asus Xonar DSX $50
    Asus Xonar DGX $30

Check the difference/comparisons here
    Is the DGX better than the DG ?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just got these headphones a couple months ago, and I must say, even though they are only rated for 32 ohm (any normal headphone port) it is apparent they certainly benefit from a little bit more amperage. An amped sound card will certainly help, but you probably won't need it as much as a discerning musician/music nerd. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
    Is the DGX better than the DG ?
    I believe it is basically a newer version. The DGX is also PCI-Express whereas the DG is just legacy PCI.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water