Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Colorado Town to Vote on Drone Hunting Ordinance

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...ies-for-drones

DEER TRAIL, Colo. - The small town of Deer Trail, Colorado is considering a bold move. The town board will be voting on an ordinance that would create drone hunting licenses and offer bounties for unmanned aerial vehicles.

Deer Trail resident, Phillip Steel, drafted the ordinance.

"We do not want drones in town," said Steel. "They fly in town, they get shot down."

Even though it's against the law to destroy federal property, Steel's proposed ordinance outlines weapons, ammunition, rules of engagement, techniques, and bounties for drone hunting.

The ordinates states, "The Town of Deer Trail shall issue a reward of $100 to any shooter who presents a valid hunting license and the following identifiable parts of an unmanned aerial vehicle whose markings and configuration are consistent with those used on any similar craft known to be owned or operated by the United States federal government."

7NEWS Reporter Amanda Kost asked Steel, "Have you ever seen a drone flying over your town?"

"No," Steel responded. "This is a very symbolic ordinance. Basically, I do not believe in the idea of a surveillance society, and I believe we are heading that way."

If passed by the town board, Deer Trail would charge $25 for drone hunting licenses, valid for one year.

"They'll sell like hot cakes, and it would be a real drone hunting license," said Steel, "It could be a huge moneymaker for the town."

Deer Trail resident, David Boyd, is also one of seven votes on the town board.

"Even if a tiny percentage of people get online (for a) drone license, that's cool. That's a lot of money to a small town like us,"said Boyd. "Could be known for it as well, which probably might be a mixed blessing, but what the heck?"

The board will consider the drone hunting ordinance on Aug. 6.

"I'm leaning towards yes," said Boyd. "I'm good with passing it as long as it's safe."

The ordinance specifies that weapons used for engagement of unmanned aerial vehicles would be limited to, "any shotgun, 12 gauge or smaller, having a barrel length of 18 inches or greater." Drone hunting licenses would be issued without a background investigation, and on an anonymous basis. Applicants would have to be at least 21 years old and be able to, "read and understand English."

Deer Trail, Town clerk, Kim Oldfield said, "I can see it as a benefit, monetarily speaking, because of the novelty of the ordinance."

Oldfield said there's talk of promoting the ordinance as a novelty and, "Possibly hunting drones in a skeet, fun-filled festival. We’re the home of the world’s first rodeo, so we could home of the world’s first drone hunt."

"If they were to read it for the title alone and not for the novelty and what it really is, it sounds scary, and it sounds super vigilante and frightening," said Oldfield. "The real idea behind it is it’s a potential fun, moneymaker, and it could be really cool for our community and we’ve needed something to bring us together, and this could be it."

7NEWS asked Deer Trail Mayor, Franks Fields, if he wanted the town to be known for drone hunting.

"Well, I don't know," answered Fields. "I haven't made my decision yet."

"It's all novelty. Do a little drone fest, get people to come out, have fun," Fields explained.

Said Steel, "To him it's a novelty, yes. To me, I'm serious."
    It's all a symbolic gesture, but it's hilarious nonetheless. Personally, I don't think that drones are worse than a number of other aerial technologies, but I take his point that we're becoming more and more of a surveillance state, and this is a nice tongue in cheek protest of that. What do y'all think?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

At first, I interpreted this as an ordinance approving of going hunter with drones. Which I thought was really silly and not particularly sporting either.

Then I reread it and realized it's an ordinance to approve licenses to actually hunt drones. This is somehow sillier than what I originally thought it was.

Deleted
    Damn, I was hoping this would be for hunting with drones.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love how they mention the fact that damaging Federal Government property is unlawful... then never touch on it again.

So what will they do when the military comes in, telling them all they are in big doodoo? >_>
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I love how they mention the fact that damaging Federal Government property is unlawful... then never touch on it again.

So what will they do when the military comes in, telling them all they are in big doodoo? >_>
    If someone can hit a military drone with a 12-gauge shotgun, I guess they'll find out.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, how do they feel about a license to shoot cops?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    So, how do they feel about a license to shoot cops?
    Hmmmm, if the license specified small caliber water pistol, it could work.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Hmmmm, if the license specified small caliber water pistol, it could work.
    Psh. You can have your small caliber, I want my large caliber!

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

This is amusing and I kind of hope they pass it just to see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Well, for starters, they ain't going to hit many, if any, at the altitude they fly at.

I don't see any potential for disaster at all here. Nope...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Damn, I was hoping this would be for hunting with drones.
    Was my initial thought as well.

I don't know what kind of drones the police and feds are using, but our Air Force drones are almost the size of a manned aircraft. I'm guessing a lot of you imagine them to be like large RC planes. I know I used to. And I still have a hard time mentally imagining how big they are, even after seeing them in person.

For reference:

You can't reasonably bring one of these down with small arms fire. You're going to need some ordnance. Something with some real power. Something in the shoulder-mounted category. Not saying that nobody in that town has the weaponry for it, but even if your aim is perfect, you're not going to be making a profit off a $100 bounty.

Deleted
    Some yeehaw is going to end up shooting at a police helicopter or something, and hell is going to break loose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    Well, for starters, they ain't going to hit many, if any, at the altitude they fly at.
    Oh really?

Putin khuliyo

Most people wouldn't complain if we added some snazzy graphics to the drones.

Seriously though, if I was in possession of a drone I would go fly it around their town just to see who claims the bounty. But I'm more antagonistic than most military command decisions seem to be, so w/e.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Oh really?
    well they said only shotguns, but there's nothing to stop us building a giant 12 guage with balls the size of a medicine ball, right?

Damn, misunderstood thought for a sec it was going to be legal to shoot down drones..............

Oh I was right, damn moving
    be right there
    Last edited by Shennanigans; 2013-07-18 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    You can't reasonably bring one of these down with small arms fire. You're going to need some ordnance. Something with some real power. Something in the shoulder-mounted category. Not saying that nobody in that town has the weaponry for it, but even if your aim is perfect, you're not going to be making a profit off a $100 bounty.
    I think the bigger worry about this legislation is people taking pot shots at drones with small arms and the falling bullets killing innocent people.

Superman did it so I see nothing wrong with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I think the bigger worry about this legislation is people taking pot shots at drones with small arms and the falling bullets killing innocent people.
    I don't think a falling bullet has the required momentum to actually harm anybody. At least, not anything of the kind of calibre you can fire out of a handgun or rifle.