Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

A question about the British School system.

Hi, first let me say something: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT RELIGION! Do not start a religious debate here please. This is a simple question for anyone who knows the answer. If you want to discuss religion, do it on another site, such topics are not allowed here.

Now - I read an article here and I want to ask - what does it exactly mean?

"...to complete a unit on the history of Islam."
    "...the addition of a Muslim-specific component after revisions were made..."

I'm not really familiar with british school system terminology, so what I'm asking is - will they focus a couple of lessons of History or Social Studies or something on Islam and have a written test, or will it be a subject on its own with, say, a lesson a week? I'm presuming the former (which I would've though was already taught, but just not mandatory) but the outcry seems like it's the latter.
    Last edited by mmocef366ff7e8; 2013-07-18 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorocz View Post
    Hi, first let me say something: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT RELIGION! Do not start a religious debate here please. This is a simple question for anyone who knows the answer. If you want to discuss religion, do it on another site, such topics are not allowed here.

Now - I read an article here and I want to ask - what does it exactly mean?

"...to complete a unit on the history of Islam."
    "...the addition of a Muslim-specific component after revisions were made..."

I'm not really familiar with british school system terminology, so what I'm asking is - will they focus a couple of lessons of History or Social Studies or something on Islam and have a written test, or will it be a subject on its own with, say, a lesson a week? I'm presuming the former (which I would've though was already taught, but just not mandatory) but the outcry seems like it's the latter.
    When I was in high school (graduated like 8 years ago now) there was a separate subject called Religious Education. It was a once a week lesson that basically went through all religions in sequence in a year and about aspects of culture, rituals, special dates, history, etc.

As far as I'm aware, it's a very, very common thing for all public schools, so it seems really strange that they are going so apeshit on this site over something that is pretty much already here.

15+ Year Old Account
    In most schools there's an RE lesson (Religious Education) which goes into different religions and teaches about them, as far as i can tell this just means that Islam will have to be touched upon in that lesson at some point.

Deleted
    Never had anything remotely religious in primary school other than nativity plays, which I don't think happen anymore.

I think Religious Education is an optional subject in secondary school but I have no idea what was covered because I never went to a single one of them.

Deleted
    Religious Education is a compulsory subject in the UK. This means that a section on Islam will be taught, probably over the course of six weeks, for 1-2 hours a week.

Edit: After looking at your source I'd also like to point out Judaism is already "foisted" upon British kids.
    Last edited by mmocb3fb419dbb; 2013-07-18 at 09:37 PM.

Religion is such a big part of our history, it makes sense to teach it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wordup View Post
    When I was in high school (graduated like 8 years ago now) there was a separate subject called Religious Education. It was a once a week lesson that basically went through all religions in sequence in a year and about aspects of culture, rituals, special dates, history, etc.

As far as I'm aware, it's a very, very common thing for all public schools, so it seems really strange that they are going so apeshit on this site over something that is pretty much already here.
    same here, 1 hour a week. we didn't do anything in the lesson, no exam. just learned things about different religions/cultures through the year. there was no emphisis on a specific religion, and there shouldn't be.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wordup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    In most schools there's an RE lesson (Religious Education) which goes into different religions and teaches about them, as far as i can tell this just means that Islam will have to be touched upon in that lesson at some point.
    Ok, that's similiar enough to Czech Republic. We had, as a part of Social Studies subject in high school, a semestre (2 hours a week) of learning about various religions, where we learned about the basics, culture etc. Also, in History we learned, at appropriate moments in history, about the important events...

Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    Never had anything remotely religious in primary school other than nativity plays, which I don't think happen anymore.

I think Religious Education is an optional subject in secondary school but I have no idea what was covered because I never went to a single one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Religious Education is a compulsory subject in the UK. This means that a section on Islam will be taught, probably over the course of six weeks, for 1-2 hours a week.

Edit: After looking at your source I'd also like to point out Judaism is already "foisted" upon British kids.
    So I'm guessing it is compulsory on some schools and optional on other? And they'll make it compulsory on all?

Btw, I'm not a regular reader of that site, just saw this link posted by someone on facebook, making a fuss about how the kids are gonna be forced Islam down their throat and Political Correctness gone mad and so on... And since I didn't think anyone of them had a slightest idea how it currently is or how it's gonna be when it's implemented, I thought I'll ask here... And didn't bother myself with finding an unbiased article

Deleted
    No such thing as a "British" school system. Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland all use their own different education systems. In regards to RE though; in Scotland it's called RME (Religious & Moral Education). The first few years are learning about the beliefs of the various religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, etc) and then start moving onto more philosophical topics; generally revolving around morality (Blank slate theory, moral compass, etc)
    Last edited by mmoc65a9be75bb; 2013-07-18 at 10:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    No such thing as a "British" school system. Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland all use their own different education systems. In regards to RE though; in Scotland it's called RME (Religious & Moral Education). The first few years are learning about the beliefs of the various religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, etc) and then start moving onto more philosophical topics; generally revolving around morality (Blank slate theory, moral compass, etc)
    that's pretty much what the lessons were here, called Religious education, but a lot of it was about morals and ethics. it wasn't really an important lesson, no exams and only 1hour a week.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    I thought so, yet the article states: "all British schoolchildren", so I presumed it's gonna take effect in all the systems so I went with it... And RME sounds like it shouldn't have a problem with the new curriculum either, so there should be no fuss there either...

Deleted
    Religious education was mandatory when I was at school up until year 10, they will cover many religions not just Islam.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    But when they say a unit they basicly mean a month or so of islamic study, where you will get a test at the end maybe.
    Thanks, that's basically what I wanted to hear. Come to think of it, I remember my english handbooks were split into Units too, so I might've figured it out from that, but... oh well, nevermind :-)

When I was in school we learned about several religions in RE class but now that I think about it I don't think we ever touched on Islam at all.

Basically what this change means is just adding Islam to the existing RE curriculum.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-07-18 at 11:21 PM.

Back in my day it was starting to be more focused on teaching a broader spectrum of the religions as well as moralistic viewpoints in order not to "foist" any one particular religion on the students. Granted it was more in depth when it came to Christianity as that's the primary religion of Scotland anyway thus the teaching staff have a much better understanding thereof. But it's also fair to point out that I haven't been in an RE class since 2000 - thus have missed the rampant Islamophobia whereby giving us the key points of the religion were pretty much no more or less important than any other in a class where frankly, no one gave a shit if you passed or failed.

I know that some of the primary schools round here have been going to the Central Mosque in Glasgow for a few years now, not for "religious ceremonies" in the same way they march them off to Church 3 times a year, but more to give them a chance to learn about Islam and ask questions - from what the parental unit tells me it's quite an interesting & informative trip. (She's a TA and went one of the years) I'm also pretty sure we had a local Rabbi come in to give us a few words as well during high school, along with local a collection of local ministers (Church of Scotland, Catholic Church, Salvation Army & oddly enough, the minister of my church at the time), but never an Imam.

I personally can't see any harm in teaching children about Islam and giving Islamic scholars a chance to put their religion across as if the truth is told, the majority of them will promote a very different religion to the one most of this country seems to imagine. Problem is that the right wing will automatically assume that instead of the friendly local Imam coming in to answer a few questions it will infact be some extremist who'll demand that all the females leave, tell the kids to kill all infidels & have them brainwashed before you can say a single hail mary!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Re = free GCSE <3 On my exam i put the most super atheism - anti religious things i could think of and still passed :S

Yeah, it is more like a history lesson, where you learn about the history and the culture of the world religions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Re = free GCSE <3 On my exam i put the most super atheism - anti religious things i could think of and still passed :S
    You rebel, you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    You rebel, you.
    teenage me :s All we did in lessons was colour in and watch dvds, it was like play school i don't think i learnt a single thing about religion in RE>.<

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    teenage me :s All we did in lessons was colour in and watch dvds, it was like play school i don't think i learnt a single thing about religion in RE>.<
    We mostly just sat and listened while our teacher recanted his random travels in India. After 3 years our textbooks were still unopenned