Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your HDD cleanout checklist

So, this weekend it's time again. Time for a complete wipe of the HDD, clean install of OS and whatnot, you know how it is. Stuff starts to slow down, you find yourself constantly deleting small things so you can push more crap in there, and sooner or later it's just time to start from scratch. So, I'm right now gathering installers for software that I want to have ready as soon as the OS is installed, and that got me curious, what does your HDD cleanout checklist of need-to-have software look like?

This is what I've gathered so far:

Drivers(of course)
    Anti-virus(AVG for me)
    OpenOffice
    CCleaner
    Chrome
    DAEMON Tools
    Adobe Reader
    iTunes
    Mouse, keyboard and headset software
    Paint.NET
    Winamp
    WinRAR
    VLC
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

- Daemon Tools is no longer needed with Win8, it has built-in ISO mounting
    - Windows version of iTunes is crapware
    - 7zip is totally free archive management program, don't need WinRAR with it's registration nagging

In addition Dropbox client, ventrilo/teamspeak/mumble and Curse Client. Most important step is taking a copy of whole c:\users so that I have backup of all settings including browser bookmarks.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    - Daemon Tools is no longer needed with Win8, it has built-in ISO mounting
    - Windows version of iTunes is crapware
    - 7zip is totally free archive management program, don't need WinRAR with it's registration nagging
    I'm sticking to Windows 7 for now.
    iTunes is the easiest way for me to get my favorite podcasts, which is all I use it for.
    Good point about 7zip.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

- drivers (pc/mouse etc)
    - adobe suite (PS, illu etc)
    - office
    - antivirus
    - regcleaner/ccleaner
    - daemon tools
    - winrar
    - winamp
    - chrome
    - some minor things i cant come up with now

Deleted
    ninite.com

Good place to grab a lot of the essentials. It deselects toolbars, gets rid of installers etc. no having to search and download x individual files.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    ninite.com

Good place to grab a lot of the essentials. It deselects toolbars, gets rid of installers etc. no having to search and download x individual files.
    Im usually a bit scared for those kind of programs, but if its all good. Wauw!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    ninite.com

That seems like one awesome piece of software, thanks for the tip!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedbastard View Post
    Im usually a bit scared for those kind of programs, but if its all good. Wauw!
    I guess the do have an updater as well if you like but other than that it's just an installer, you don't have to install any program to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    So, this weekend it's time again. Time for a complete wipe of the HDD, clean install of OS and whatnot, you know how it is. Stuff starts to slow down, you find yourself constantly deleting small things so you can push more crap in there, and sooner or later it's just time to start from scratch.
    No I don't what you're on about. And I'm pretty sure you're using computer wrong.

My checklist is a disk image back up from home server...

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-07-19 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    No I don't what you're on about. And I'm pretty sure you're using computer wrong.

My checklist is a disk image back up from home server...
    Not everyone is a computer genius, and tbh there is nothing wrong with cleaning up your pc by reinstalling everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

Deleted
    If I had to:

WoW
    Mumble
    Chrome
    Foobar 2k
    uTorrent
    CCCP
    Curse Client
    Tukui Updater
    MAL updater
    Essential drivers

I guess that's about it. Haven't had to do it once in 7 years yet.

This is my MUST do when starting over. In somewhat this order. I won't install any games until this is done^^

- Spotify
    - WoWMatrix (when I still played)
    - Steam
    - Update Java/Flash
    - Drivers
    *- WinRar
    And almost forgot. In this order, before ANYTHING ELSE;

- Tunngle
    - Evolve
    - Hamachi

THEN antivirus/firewall... ;D

(Edits: *)

Btw, I never save these, I always do fresh installs but these are the programs I download/install as soon as the OS is installed)
    Fresh start on computers, rule^^
    Last edited by Freeaze; 2013-07-19 at 02:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Problem: I have a square peg and a round hole. Peg must fit in hole.
    Solution1: Round off the edges until it fits the desired hole. Solution2: Make the round hole a square.
    People's Perception1: Why didn't you just make both a triangle? Because clearly you're stupid.
    People's Perception2: Obviously you are a moron - rounding edges or making the hole different doesn't change the fact that they didn't fit together in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarhym
    This thread has been locked due to its existence.

First off, I always follow this guide when reinstalling my OS.

Other than that, my list is comparatively small, I guess:

• Google Chrome (w/ adblock)
    • AVG (free version)
    • Revo Uninstaller (free version)
    • 7-zip
    • CCleaner
    • MSI Afterburner (then set my custom video card fan profile)
    • Microsoft Office
    • Steam (and then various Steam games like Dota 2 and TF2)
    • Battle.net App (and then SC2)

And that's about it.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-07-19 at 05:47 PM.

Typically I just get critical drivers, chrome, and antivirus. Everything else can just be freshly downloaded in the clean system. I don't see what difference it makes downloading them beforehand on an external. Really just chrome and the network card driver would be enough (or not even chrome if you can stomach opening IE momentarily).

After that though it'd pretty much just be... download it when I need it. Sure 7-zip is pretty much 100% guaranteed to be re-downloaded and installed on the new system, but I don't bother to do it until I have some compressed file I need to open. Not that it takes long to reach that point, but yeah.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Deleted
    My general re-installation process is a fairly well oiled machine these days. These are the things I normally do before installing applications. Btw - these are personal things just as an example and may not be appropriate for your system.

Download latest versions of all software freeware/purchased/etc
    Backup data on the C drive (in my case this is almost entirely contained within \ProgramData\ and \Users\<username\)
    BIOS enable primary boot device is DVD drive
    Insert Windows CD and install
    On first restart, BIOS, primary boot device back to SSD
    Finish Windows installation
    Install ESET NOD32 Antivirus latest version and update as required
    Install all latest drivers starting with Intel Chipset, Intel RST, Intel Mgmt Interface, NVIDIA, Sound, etc
    Configure drivers (RST Write caching, NVIDIA Surround, Sound equalizer, etc)
    Install Visual C++ Redistributables (for games) 2008/2010/2012, etc
    DirectX Redist
    FULL Windows Update cycle
    On every subsequent restart, run Windows Update again until there is nothing left to update
    Go through every item in Control Panel adjusting all settings as I desire
    In System go through all the advanced settings, I personally disable System Restore and a bunch of other Performance related things, turning off Remote Desktop, etc
    Computer Management -> Disk Management -> Assign drive letters
    I personally change the way Windows handles Virtual Memory
    Open all Windows programs like Notepad, My Computer, Microsoft MMC, Control Panel, etc etc.. Set window sizes and positions and settings as required
    Apply Folder Settings to all
    Configured Libraries to point to storage locations
    Perform a Windows Experience Rating test and as a double measure lately I've been doing a "WinSAT diskformal" on the command line to ensure SSDs are correctly detected for the Windows 8 optimizer.
    I turn off scheduled defragging
    Install latest "support" applications - Java, Flash, Silverlight, etc
    I run a few other things "powercfg -h off" (disable hibernation)

Post installation cleanup after restart:
    Remove all folders left around by driver installers (C:\Intel C:\Nvidia, etc)
    cleanmgr - as both normal and administrator to remove install temporary files
    Clean out temporary folders (there are at least 3 of them as you know. \Windows\Temp, \Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp, \ProgramData\Temp)
    Action Center Maintenance (Windows 8)
    Task manager / startup item control (Windows 8)

I disable TRIM by default (I don't like the ATA command queue blocking, especially noticeable with SSD RAID) so every now and again I do a batch TRIM out of the SSD partitions in one go. In Windows 8 you can do this if you like (honestly I wouldn't recommend this unless you're seeing issues while TRIM is active)

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
    defrag /O C: F:
    fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

(Replace C and F with your drives)
    I do this about once a week or two, takes a minute or less. TRIMs out all untrimmed blocks using the Windows 8 optimizer.

That's about all I can think of, off the top of my head.
    Now I'm ready to install applications.

Almost all games I have are in Steam/Origin - no requirement to reinstall any of those.
    No requirement to reinstall WoW, that's on a different drive, just run and go like before.

Enjoy
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-07-19 at 03:06 PM.

Probably too much.

Team Viewer
    VMware Workstation
    ePSXe
    Daemon Tools
    IObit Smart Defrag
    Gimp
    MSI Afterburner
    Rainmeter
    SpyBot Search & Destroy
    Real Temp
    CPUID - Hardware Monitor
    CPUID - CPU-Z
    Fraps
    Malwarebytes
    Ventrilo
    Microsoft Office
    FL Studios 10
    Steam
    Avast!
    DropBox
    Google Drive
    SkyDrive
    Mozilla Firefox
    Google Chrome
    Easy BCD
    Media Player Codec
    WinDirStat
    WinRAR

I keep all of my games on a separate drive. Most of them don't require me to install them, however some few do.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-07-19 at 05:04 PM.

Deleted
    Is it just me that doesn't understand the whole clean install thing for HDD/SSD?
    I mean if it happens multiple times a year ,that one would run out of space either one installs too much shit or their drive is too small.
    I know there is some minor performance gain to be had if one runs a HDD setup only but that is so minor and not really worth the time needed imo.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    Is it just me that doesn't understand the whole clean install thing for HDD/SSD?
    I can't speak for the other users, but I don't reformat looking for a performance gain, I just like the feeling of a newly installed OS; there's something refreshing about "wiping the slate clean" I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    i prefer ninite

that being said, i also have one of my hard drives dedicated to downloads, everything i have ever downloaded in the last few years is on that drive, that way i don't have to go looking for software or drivers, they are all there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    I mean if it happens multiple times a year ,that one would run out of space either one installs too much shit or their drive is too small.
    I know there is some minor performance gain to be had if one runs a HDD setup only but that is so minor and not really worth the time needed imo.
    For me, personally, I always end up installing lots of software over time that I'll only use once or twice, then I forget to remove it. Over time lots of stuff gathers up and I just find it easier and quicker to start fresh.