College Laptop Help

So starting this fall I am transferring from a local community college to a larger school. Right now I am looking to buy a decent laptop to use for school. I wont be staying on campus I'm going to be commuting to and from daily(35~minute drive). However, I have absolutely no idea what laptops are good right now. Since I am commuting I will still have my home pc so I don't need this to run games or anything intense like that. My price range is anything under 800 pretty much. Like I said earlier I don't need anything for gaming but I do tend to run a lot of programs at the same time especially when working on papers and such. Also weight, durability, and battery life are the main concerns, I'm going to be lugging this around every day(parking lots aren't super close to classroom building) and its going to be in and out of the car, classrooms, and my house. If anyone has recently bought a laptop or is just knowledgeable about current products I would love and appreciate your input. Thanks!

Thread moved to sub-forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be looking for an ultrabook, not exactly sure then but the slim form factor and light weight of them should suit your needs quite nicely (not sure if any drop in under the $800 price point). Going to assume location is USA if I stumble upon anything i'll link it here.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

So after looking around for the last few days I think this ultrabook looks the best. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834231124 I know its a bit over my price range but unless I'm mistaken it seems to be significantly better then most other ultrabooks in the same price area. Does anyone know if ASUS books are reliable or any other info about this book?

A couple questions:

- do you want a 1080p screen?
    - how much storage space do you think you'll need?
    - what will you be doing on the ultrabook?
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    A couple questions:

- do you want a 1080p screen?
    - how much storage space do you think you'll need?
    - what will you be doing on the ultrabook?
    1) I would prefer a 1080p screen but its not completely necessary
    2) I doubt I will need much, like I said I'm only bringing it to classes - I may throw a few movies onto it if I'm planning on having a long gap between classes on day or that sort of thing other than that I wont be using anything storage heavy.
    3) 98% It will be used for class, notes, homework, papers, and assuming this college uses an online homework thing(mymathlab) for my math courses(I'm a math major) like most colleges seem to be using I will be doing lots and lots of math homework on it.

For what you're doing you can get this one which should be just fine as long as 128GB are enough.

If you want something under below your 800$ initial mark, this sale is a pretty good deal but you're going to step down to 1600x900 resolution and still have the 128GB limitation.

If you need more storage I'd go for a hybrid SSD+HDD option, where you'd be installing the OS + most used applications on your SSD and use the HDD for the rest, such as this one for a 1080p resolution.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account
    That zenbook sale Fluorescent0 linked should be perfect for your needs, if your worried about storage a portable hard drive will give you an extra TB and sit you bang on budget.

I can personally say that http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822178106 are a great little portable drive and the choice of colour is a nice bit of flavour to boot.
    Last edited by slasher0161; 2013-07-22 at 07:29 AM.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210